• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'll also add that the Brumbies have been on the road for 3 weeks and have played the last two on Friday night (and Saturday afternoon before that), so the extra day would be nice for them......

Having said that, it's the same night as Skyfire so Friday might've been the better option crowd wise as they'll get an even worse crowd than usual for a South African game.
Got to have an Aussie game on Saturday night. With SFS already booked for Friday and Sat it was really the only option

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees Sunwolves were given notice at start of Super Rugby they needed to lift their game and whilst might not show on W-L record so far they are much improved and competitive as narrow loss against Lions at home showed. Moreso they play an attractive fast paced attacking game that is enjoyable to watch. One thing finally SANZAAR did right was putting Sunwolves in Oz conference given we have closer Asian ties obviously than the Saffers.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I assume by "ties" you mean that our time zones are very compatible?

Definitely time zones compatible but also Australia has increasingly more closer affinity as being part of Asia....we always geographically have been but moreso closer ties in recent decades with trade etc. Also japan has long been one of our major trading partners......

T

TOCC

I assume by "ties" you mean that our time zones are very compatible?

Well yes, isn’t that the key factor in broadcast negotiations?

There’s also ‘ties’ in the fact there’s direct flights between Australian and Japan reducing the travel burden and the trade value between Aus-Japan is also significantly larger then RSA-Japan which suggests greater business ties and corporate potential in the longer term.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If they ever got a team in Honolulu up, you could go on some pretty epic supporter tours if they use the direct flights between Tokyo & Honolulu so it's a 2 week away trip.

Early in the season you could watch Sunwloves match & bullet train it to the Nagano snow before heading off for surfing/snorkeling/whales in Hawaii.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Actually, it kind of makes sense to have a team in Honolulu. A lot of Islander kids get sporting scholarships to the University of Hawaii.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Super rugby is stuffed.
Friday week ago and tonight no 7:30 game.
They have driven me back into the arms of a game I haven’t watched since the super league war.
How they can expect to maintain interest when just as an example, the Tahs go to South Africa and then Argentina have one game and then a bye on the same weekend the brumbies have a bye is beyond me.
We need as close to a single time zone comp as we can get. Soon. It may already be too late.

T

TOCC

yep.. its piss poor scheduling, i thought having the Japanese in the time zone might improve it some by creating more content, but doesn't seemed to have worked out that way.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting final sentence: "There is a huge debate in a sports world at the moment - do you produce more or less and get more or less in return?"

Agree and with the A-League just announcing two new teams will be announced in October and Beatie saying two more league teams are very likely.

I wonder aloud are we seen as a 4 team competition, yes we have 15 teams but I don't think non rugby Australians associate the other 11 teams as part of a local competition.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Agree and with the A-League just announcing two new teams will be announced in October and Beatie saying two more league teams are very likely.

I wonder aloud are we seen as a 4 team competition, yes we have 15 teams but I don't think non rugby Australians associate the other 11 teams as part of a local competition.

100% agree. We don't have 15 teams. We have a 4 team competition where in some weeks 2 of the teams are having a bye and teams can spend months without home games. Pretty hard to build up momentum for less rusted on fans behind a team with that sort of situation.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
100% agree. We don't have 15 teams. We have a 4 team competition where in some weeks 2 of the teams are having a bye and teams can spend months without home games. Pretty hard to build up momentum for less rusted on fans behind a team with that sort of situation.

Which is part of the reason why so many are in favour of a more Asia-Pacific focus.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would be nice to think that somebody, somewhere, might do some actual market research to determine what might be a possible way forward.

Let us get some actual facts into the debate, instead of unsubstantiated opinions.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It would be nice to think that somebody, somewhere, might do some actual market research to determine what might be a possible way forward.

Let us get some actual facts into the debate, instead of unsubstantiated opinions.

Well, considering Forrest's WSR concept will likely be running for two season come 2021 if everything goes to plan and will feature a number of teams in the region I think we'll have an idea of the market by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.