• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If a person, or an organisation, was an avowed enemy of all things rugby, this remarkably calamitous 'SANZAAR S18 format review process' (which btw commenced a mere 8 months ago in August 2016) would be, is, the Gift that Just Keeps on Giving.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried; it's like an horrendous bad dream from which there is no awakening.

The tardiness in getting this release out is shameful, inexcusable, and shockingly unprofessional. Does the ARU have a PR team or is it just interns?

The Telegraph article was not even close to the first one spouting these speculations, yet now is the first release from the governing body of rugby in Australia. I'm not sure if these guys are just clueless or if they truly do not give a damn about any of the stakeholders, players, or really anyone other than themselves.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The tardiness in getting this release out is shameful, inexcusable, and shockingly unprofessional. Does the ARU have a PR team or is it just interns?

I feel like interns would know what the go is for a situation like this. That nothing statement is the go-to for an organisation still making a decision. Shoulda just come out straight after the London meeting.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I feel like interns would know what the go is for a situation like this. That nothing statement is the go-to for an organisation still making a decision. Shoulda just come out straight after the London meeting.

The only thing I could think that would even come close to explaining the delay in the release would be if it was drafted entirely by interns and then had to be reviewed by other members of the organization.

Please note this would account for a delay of about an hour, maybe. Actually just shaking my head over here, thinking about how taking this long to handle a release for us or any of our clients would get me thrown off a roof.

N

NTT

So the ARUs mouthpiece Pandaram says the decision has been made and now the ARU says no decision has been made?

So who's lying?

Furthermore, if you ever needed convincing the Sydney media have it in for the Force then Mr Pandarams article all but confirms it. I can only hope Mr Pandaram is exposed as a liar and is removed from his job.

If the Force is cut from Super Rugby then rugby in WA will die. If the Force is cut from Super Rugby then the ARU can shove its Perth Bledisloe match up its arse. If the Force is cut then the WA government should ask the ARU to reimburse the $100 million they spent on upgrading nib stadium and the $10 million they spent on building Force HQ and the $5 million they paid for the Bledisloe match and the $1.5 million sponsorship with the Road Safety Commission.

Im just gutted for the people who have been on the RugbyWA board throughout the Forces existence. Everyone in WA rugby knows everyone else and we know who the RugbyWA board members are and what they have been battling against in terms of getting the right support structures in place to develop our own talent, the challenges they have faced in recruiting, the challenges they have faced dealing with an incompetent ARU treating the Force like the black sheep of the rugby family. Just really gutted for them, most of them are good rugby men trying to advance the game of rugby in WA, never seeking personal gain, all working as volunteer Board members, some since the late 80s - early 90s, wanting nothing more than rugby in WA to succeed.
We waited 100+ years to be treated as equals by the ARU, looks like we are still waiting.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I haven't seen bungling of professional sport as bad as this since the Super League wars. it will take years for Australia Rugby to recover, Rugby in WA will likely never recover and inevitably be lost to Rugby League.. Super Rugby as a brand has been tarnished.. it's a sad state of affairs all round

Well done ARU and SANZAAR, some heads better roll for this.
If the force gets cut and knowing what will do to rugby in WA, I don't think I will ever be able to forgive the aru for their lack of long term vision and will have totally lost confidence in them. And I am someone who has defended the aru on many occaision, but this just won't wash and will destroy any confidence in them if they cut a team without a bigger plan.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Yes indeed Twolims but the equally staggering thing is that we have a process that is now 8 months in the doing and the ARU has to come out and say 'nothing whatsoever has been decided'.......even though, notably, the CEO of the NZRU has clearly stated 5 days ago:

“Some tough decisions have been taken but they require consultation and sign-off by a variety of parties and that work is underway.”

(http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/n...r/news-story/e460db047e6ade3c2462674501b9c92e)

So, what is the truth? What are these 'tough decisions' that the NZRU says have been taken, and yet the ARU says 'no decisions have yet been taken'.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes indeed Twolims but the equally staggering thing is that we have a process that is now 8 months in the doing and the ARU has to come out and say 'nothing whatsoever has been decided'...even though, notably, the CEO of the NZRU has clearly stated 5 days ago:

“Some tough decisions have been taken but they require consultation and sign-off by a variety of parties and that work is underway.”

(http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/n...r/news-story/e460db047e6ade3c2462674501b9c92e)

So, what is the truth? What are these 'tough decisions' that the NZRU says have been taken, and yet the ARU says 'no decisions have yet been taken'.

Does the NZRU face any tough decisions on any analysis of this running sore?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
In the years to come the debacle that is the ARU will be a text book case of how not to run a sporting body from a PR perspective .

1. Treatment of a national coach over the disgraceful , mysoginistic behaviour of a golden child .
2. Accusing one of its key stakeholder groups of "pissing it up against the wall " Nice
3.Bringing in a fee for kids to play the game with no consultation
4. And now the destruction of Super Rugby in this country with the most insane lack of communication with stakeholders I've ever seen .
5.Allowing damning information on participation numbers to go public with no contradictory or clarifying statement .
That's pretty much the full deck of ruining the credibility of the game at every level .
You just couldn't make up this stuff if you tried with all your imagination to consider how to f... up a sport

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
Not quite as bad as facilitating widespread performance enhancing drug use i.e. Russia.

That they didn't cop a widespread ban, for me, completely and utterly destroyed the legitimacy of the Olympics for me. Worse than incompetence.

T

TOCC

If a person, or an organisation, was an avowed enemy of all things rugby, this remarkably calamitous 'SANZAAR S18 format review process' (which btw commenced a mere 8 months ago in August 2016) would be, is, the Gift that Just Keeps on Giving.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried; it's like an horrendous bad dream from which there is no awakening.

It's beyond a joke...

What do they think they are trying to achieve by lowering this cone of silence which only seeks to fuel further speculation and damaging claims... the various SANZAAR affiliate have leaked just enough information to fuel wildfires, yet the ARU does nothing to extinguish those with this "we can confirm we have yet to confirmation on the final proposal" attitude, its obnoxious.

It's about time they demonstrate a bit of respect for the stakeholders of the game, that being the fans, players and sponsors and at least provide a little insight with what is actually going on...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe someone that reads or posts on this forum with a fair bit of rugby clout could start an online petition demanding the ARU veto any plan to cut an Australian team? A widely recognised former player or coach would be best, otherwise someone with a fair bit of involvement in the game. The more recognised or credible the person that started it the better chance it would have of being shared and getting publicity.

Not sure what impact it could have but surely it would put a fair amount of pressure on the ARU if it got tens of thousands of signatures? Is that realistic or are those of us strongly opposed to cutting a team just a loud minority on this forum? To anyone who thinks it'd be a good thing or don't care either way just imagine if it was your team being cut.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
C795VhcVwAAg2Wf.jpg:large
Should have saved the paper that was printed on. Nothing new there. More wasteful spending by the ARU.

M

Moono75

The ARU are very much talking in half truths. They say no decision has been made to cut a team, however what they should be answering is have they already got a preferred team in mind to cut if SANZAAR decides to move back to a 15 team comp.

The decision is like having the ace up your sleave ready to play it only if you need to. They won't play it unless SANZAAR forces a new position on the structure of Super Rugby. Allows the ARU to have plausible denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.