• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
lol@"Super Rugby".

It's like a distant memory from 6 months ago.

I now think of "the rugby watching thing" as a trivial and pointlessly inconsequential sideshow serving only to lay bare personal inadequacies born on the wings of vicarious desperation

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
65010c04-5670-4e82-95e6-506b4c0eb77a.JPG

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder what the impacts may be when everything resets ?

First thoughts are somewhat contradictory , in that , on one hand it is probably pretty reasonable that ( in Clubland ) you will see a big player drop off just for the fact that a lot of guys will simply have to concentrate on work and finding work - and committing to that and so just won't be around.

Then in the short to mid term you may also see a player influx of competition and or club failures across different codes and / or continents that may swell the numbers - but more likely at the top of the ranks that puts further pressure on player payments or those vying to break through as pro footballers

Does the much needed stimulus spending across all layers of government finally green light The Ballymore Precinct ?

I used the word "Precinct" deliberately here as well , in that , smarter codes are sharing codes - including sharing the efficiency of public spending that benefit many and all

Without wanting to stick the slipper in when things are pretty fucked but the way that NRL and AFL (but particularly NRL) have siloed their self interests , in their language and their actions , has been as revealing as it has been tone deaf and on the nose in the extreme. Again , the AFL and their representatives not on the same level as the NRL - but still very inward focused in what is an issue that effects everyone.

Anyway ......it's all ahead of us

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah but leaguies have a notoriously low boredom threshold so I'm expecting at least one of them to do something really, really stupid while they're supposed to be in in isolation...

Beaten to it by a coupla Wellington Phoenix dive-ballers:

"Tim Payne has issued a tearful apology after the Wellington Phoenix defender was charged with a drink-driving offence while the team was supposed to be in self-isolation.

"Football Federation Australia have launched an investigation after Payne and Phoenix team-mate Oliver Sail were stopped by New South Wales Police while joyriding in a golf cart on Oxford Falls Road at 1:20am on Tuesday."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/footb...arrested-for-joyriding-a-golf-buggy-in-sydney

That said I have total faith in the average five-kicker's ability to top that without breaking a sweat :).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well at least the autumn racing carnival powers on for another week. Channel 7 will bolt in the Saturday ratings and a few old betting accounts will come out of hibernation I’d say.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure were RA & Australian Super Rugby clubs are with this, maybe I missed it in the media so anyone with knowledge I would appreciate a post to indicate what we are doing.

Today FFA announced a 70% reduction in staff numbers.

Media reports yesterday had NRL players being asked to take a wage cut of 87%.

Media reports have AFL & their players union in discussion in players taking a 75% wage cut.

Both the AFL teams and NRL teams have laid off many of their admin staff.

I am unsure what the AFL & NRL are doing about their own workforce.

A-League clubs meeting with their players union next Thursday re salary reduction to players and many clubs are laying off admin staff.

As I said would love to know what we are doing so anyone with knowledge can they post.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RA have their AGM next Monday where all of the cost cutting measures will be announced, they've been negotiating with World Rugby for what all this actually means. Some options proposed, if the July Tests are capped then to make the November tests a profit sharing endeavour.. Additionally, World Rugby is cash rich after the RWC, there is a chance they will look to them for cheap loans for the national unions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I read World Rugby will assist RA if possible. But RA are looking at a 90m shortfall so it may not be possible, considering many unions will be in a similar position.

Even Eddie Jones has taken a 25% pay cut because the RFU is going to cop bigger losses than us.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I read World Rugby will assist RA if possible. But RA are looking at a 90m shortfall so it may not be possible, considering many unions will be in a similar position.

Even Eddie Jones has taken a 25% pay cut because the RFU is going to cop bigger losses than us.

Surely that 90m shortfall has to be wrong.

In the 2018 accounts, revenue was 119 m, and expenses were 110 m. With a surplus of 9 m. Remember RA accounts run from January to December. https://issuu.com/australianrugbyunion/docs/2018_annual_report_web

I find it difficult to believe even RA could turn a 9 m surplus into such a loss, in such a short time, ie, 17 months, as its only about two months sine Super Rugby was cancelled so Fox revenue would have continued until recently..

Status
Not open for further replies.