• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I find it difficult to believe even RA could turn a 9 m surplus into such a loss, in such a short time, ie, 17 months

why, thats based on forecast revenue and expenditure for the next 12 months, is it really that hard to believe

half

Alan Cameron (40)
why, thats based on forecast revenue and expenditure for the next 12 months, is it really that hard to believe

Meaning RA have time to reduce costs. No one is that thick to run up a debt of 90 million its a hole RA could never climb out of and I doubt banks and creditors will allow.

The shortfall only exist if current expenditure is not changed. Head office staff, travel, player payments , stadium hire, in fact the entire cost in 2018 was 110 m.

RA will I am sure reduce expenditure and this will include player payments at some stage.

Even RA are not that dumb, IMO just click bait rubbish doom and gloom.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well much of what you suggest depends on the individual contractual arrangements in place. If they are well covered by force majeure clauses then yeah, maybe they can pull out of their obligations. But maybe not too. Also do they want to tear up contracts with key players who might then get snapped up by overseas clubs?

Much to consider.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Meaning RA have time to reduce costs. No one is that thick to run up a debt of 90 million its a hole RA could never climb out of and I doubt banks and creditors will allow.

The shortfall only exist if current expenditure is not changed. Head office staff, travel, player payments , stadium hire, in fact the entire cost in 2018 was 110 m.

RA will I am sure reduce expenditure and this will include player payments at some stage.

Even RA are not that dumb, IMO just click bait rubbish doom and gloom.

no you've misinterpreted the article, a $90million reduction in revenue isn't necessarily a $90million loss.
All organisations have fixed costs, and then those costs they can scale back where required.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If there's one positive out of all this it's that RA can surely break their SANZAAR agreements for 2021-2025.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If there's one positive out of all this it's that RA can surely break their SANZAAR agreements for 2021-2025.

I would think so, but be a little careful what you wish for. Australia going to WR (World Rugby) with wants and ideas are not going to have anywhere near the say that they are with SANZAAR. I know we would like to see changes , but if you think Australia is stronger on World stage alone, I think perhaps you just may need to get a better idea of where it stands in rugby landscape. You have a 6N bloc already so.........................

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I would think so, but be a little careful what you wish for. Australia going to WR (World Rugby) with wants and ideas are not going to have anywhere near the say that they are with SANZAAR. I know we would like to see changes , but if you think Australia is stronger on World stage alone, I think perhaps you just may need to get a better idea of where it stands in rugby landscape. You have a 6N bloc already so.........

I think SANZAAR will have their hand forced, the Boks will probably bolt first to the Pro14 which will give WR (World Rugby) no choice but to create a new comp.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think SANZAAR will have their hand forced, the Boks will probably bolt first to the Pro14 which will give WR (World Rugby) no choice but to create a new comp.
Could well do MR, but don't think WR (World Rugby) will come running to organise another comp down this way, we will be expected to organise own comps I think. I do believe there will be huge changes , and no doubt have to be, just be a little careful what we wish for. Was reading an interesting article from some rugby writer in NZ just last week, and is quite surprised at talk of trans-tasman comp, says from anyone he speaks to in NZ there seems very little appetite, as there not a hell of a lot of interest in Aus rugby according to him. By all means take it with a grain of salt, and although he is only saying from rugby followers that he talks to, and admittedly most I know in NZ have perhaps lost a bit of interest as games and partly because times of games from here are not really peak viewing times in NZ. I really wouldn't be overly surprised if there is new partnerships formed, and either countries have own comps, or similar.[/quote]

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't think we'd have to see a splintering of SANZAAR. More a realignment in terms of how we compete. A move to a two staged domestic/international structure. The first phase being primarlly domestic and the second being something akin to the old Super 6 set up.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I don't think we'd have to see a splintering of SANZAAR. More a realignment in terms of how we compete. A move to a two staged domestic/international structure. The first phase being primarlly domestic and the second being something akin to the old Super 6 set up.

I just think the $$$ from up north will be too tempting for the SA teams plus the better time zones.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This total shut of all leagues give WR (World Rugby) the opportunity to align the leagues..wouldn't an end of season comp with top NH teams vs SH teams be a great sight - like a Superbowl

I genuinely believe that post COVID-19 with the likes of CVC and WR (World Rugby) in talks that there will be a window where things could change rather significantly. We could see the club season align and some kind of Club World Championship implemented. I asl othink we haven't seen the last of the Nations Championship concept.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Could well do MR, but don't think WR (World Rugby) will come running to organise another comp down this way, we will be expected to organise own comps I think. I do believe there will be huge changes , and no doubt have to be, just be a little careful what we wish for. Was reading an interesting article from some rugby writer in NZ just last week, and is quite surprised at talk of trans-tasman comp, says from anyone he speaks to in NZ there seems very little appetite, as there not a hell of a lot of interest in Aus rugby according to him. By all means take it with a grain of salt, and although he is only saying from rugby followers that he talks to, and admittedly most I know in NZ have perhaps lost a bit of interest as games and partly because times of games from here are not really peak viewing times in NZ. I really wouldn't be overly surprised if there is new partnerships formed, and either countries have own comps, or similar.
[/quote]

No need for any salt, more "tell someone who gives a" Haven't seen much talk here right now for TT. "What is good for NZ is good for Aus" has been BS for quite some time. At least for Super.

SANZAAR may well survive through internationals and would be welcome but Super is surely a dodo.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

No need for any salt, more "tell someone who gives a" Haven't seen much talk here right now for TT. "What is good for NZ is good for Aus" has been BS for quite some time. At least for Super.

SANZAAR may well survive through internationals and would be welcome but Super is surely a dodo.[/quote]

Yep Super as it is now may be changed, and I can see that happening, but I not sure how much support we will see for an Aussie only comp in TV rights etc. Look I would love to see it, but I suspect RA will be looking for anyone to play to sell to TV, and I am not trying to in anyway down play the game here, but I not sure there a lot to sell with a NRC type comp. And I know we would like to join up with Asian market, well I think they may struggle to find teams for a decent comp, japan has own comp, and according to mate who was is involved a little bit there not much interest in what comes out of Aus there, the only way he sees them joining anything is involving Kiwi teams so the comp would sell in Japan. So whether we like it or not we may just need SANZAAR comp in some form.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of course we bloody well need the Keewees in particular. Unless Twiggy throws a helluva lot of money around.

Be interesting to see what unfolds as if we see a domestic competition this would likely include the force as clearly twiggy funding the force means they could be strong viable side in domestic comp. No idea how this would all work but the think tank should be talking to twiggy and his team.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Super is finished - with national borders closed it cannot be resurrected. RA is broker than broke. Club rugby will be able to continue to play as it runs on the smell of a burnt snag. Our national teams will be selected from the best of QLD, NSW, WA teams after a state based tournament. Hate to see ACT and MEL go, but players from those teams are by and large imports who will have gone home, not enough organic growth in either state or territory (imho)

Status
Not open for further replies.