• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Agreed. Perhaps one foreigner per position (maybe 2 for wingers and locks) across all the franchises. 4 Aussies per week (or at least one about to qualify to be one) per position starting.

Would have to be very close to qualification. I would have it that players need to be available for selection based upon the next test match at the time of signing, and to sign a declaration saying they are willing to play for Australia to be exempt from being classed as foreign marquees. Possibly an exception for players who are under 21 and have served the majority of their residency already, but I'm not sure on that.

I definitely don't think there should be any of the old places offered for players looking to qualify under residency, the 5 year time line is too long to be reliable and they should be treated as foreign players until they qualify.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, I'm not too sure what level they're at really matters as long as there aren't too many in a given position across the competition or too many in a given team/match day squad. At the end of the day teams aren't going to sign foreign squadies if it means they miss out on an opportunity to pick up an import they'll actually use. Hopefully it will help us avoid the situation where there's a whole layer foreign players at a team blocking opportunities for up and coming Australians, like we've saw at the rebels at the start of the season.

The whole 2 foreign players? :p Lomani and Koegelenberg

Eloff is the third but still around as a development player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Why make everything so complex with ARU Approvals etc- give each team a salary cap and let them manage their squad and finances as they see fit.

Because then you can end up in a position where only two teams out of five have a Wallaby eligible player playing 10.

Like it or not, this is always going to be important to the Wallabies and some safeguards need to be put in place to ensure it is a benefit to Australian rugby, not a hindrance.

It wasn't a benefit to anyone that we had Peter Grant, Jackson Gardon-Bachop and Wharenui Hawera all playing 10. It was detrimental to the Wallabies and those players hardly proved great assets to their teams either from a performance of fan support basis.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because then you can end up in a position where only two teams out of five have a Wallaby eligible player playing 10.

Like it or not, this is always going to be important to the Wallabies and some safeguards need to be put in place to ensure it is a benefit to Australian rugby, not a hindrance.

It wasn't a benefit to anyone that we had Peter Grant, Jackson Gardon-Bachop and Wharenui Hawera all playing 10. It was detrimental to the Wallabies and those players hardly proved great assets to their teams either from a performance of fan support basis.

As i heard numerous times at Rebels games, Jackson was more Gardon than Bachop when it came to talent

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The whole 2 foreign players? :p Lomani and Koegelenberg

Eloff is the third but still around as a development player.

Lomani, Kogelenberg, Eloff, Erasmus, Misa, Louwrens and possibly Ruan Smit. There was a match when they had to drop Lomani at the last minute because RA told them they had too many foreign players in the match day 23.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
So again it was more due to poor recruitment choices rather than a Wallabies development issue. If those players had been successful or the 'better' players in these teams, would nationality have been an issue?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So again it was more due to poor recruitment choices rather than a Wallabies development issue. If those players had been successful or the 'better' players in these teams, would nationality have been an issue?

It was both.

It would still have been an issue if they were all stars but not eligible to play for the Wallabies.

The reality is we have a limited number of teams and most Wallabies will come from those teams so we do need to put some consideration into how that works for our depth at national level.

There is no upside to the competition overall by having every Australian team having a foreign player starting in the same position but a very definite downside for the Wallabies and Australian rugby in general.

If you were to make it open slather to foreign players and you could make it so that 100% of your players were Wallaby ineligible then sure, every team should do what they like but no one is suggesting that. Everyone is suggesting a limited number of foreign players.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scotland has 2 professional teams. Wales have 4 and Ireland have 4. All those teams have far more foreign players than we do. I don't think it's hindered their development at all.

Obviously you don't want all 5 teams having a foreign player in 1 position but I doubt it'll ever get close to that. I don't you even need a rule really.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Scotland has 2 professional teams. Wales have 4 and Ireland have 4. All those teams have far more foreign players than we do. I don't think it's hindered their development at all.

Obviously you don't want all 5 teams having a foreign player in 1 position but I doubt it'll ever get close to that. I don't you even need a rule really.

They also play a 21 game season plus finals in the Pro 14 and 6 games plus finals in the European comp.

Foreign players would be less of an issue if we had a much longer season and player workloads needed to be more carefully managed.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lomani, Kogelenberg, Eloff, Erasmus, Misa, Louwrens and possibly Ruan Smit. There was a match when they had to drop Lomani at the last minute because RA told them they had too many foreign players in the match day 23.
Maloloa, Uru, JP Smith, Faeo are all in your own squad? I don’t understand why people have to throw out snide remarks on things that they obviously have no knowledge of. Daugunu upto the start of this year was still ineligible. So at one stage this year the Reds were potentially carrying 5 and the Rebels 6. We have no idea about the Smith brothers but either way they cancel each other out.

For your information Erasmus is Aus qualified as has been for 3 years (won’t get near it tho).

NSW had 1 (Lisala) and Brums 2 (Kata - was still living in NZ at start of 2019 in Warriors team until mid season and Douglas - returned to Edinburgh during the World Cup).

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
corrosively-handsome little bastards"

emphasis on the corrosive methinks ;)

9436557.jpg

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

As Braveheart already outlined, much larger squads/seasons. I'm pretty sure that Scottish and Welsh unions are heavily involved in ensuring the local clubs meet certain needs of the national team (Scottish eligible players in key roles). Maybe not to the same extent as Ireland's centrally managed system, but definitely to varying degrees.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Maloloa, Uru, JP Smith, Faeo are all in your own squad? I don’t understand why people have to throw out snide remarks on things that they obviously have no knowledge of. Daugunu upto the start of this year was still ineligible. So at one stage this year the Reds were potentially carrying 5 and the Rebels 6. We have no idea about the Smith brothers but either way they cancel each other out.

For your information Erasmus is Aus qualified as has been for 3 years (won’t get near it tho).

NSW had 1 (Lisala) and Brums 2 (Kata - was still living in NZ at start of 2019 in Warriors team until mid season and Douglas - returned to Edinburgh during the World Cup).

I haven't been super happy about it with the Reds either (and in the sake of completeness you missed Droasese), but just under half of that Reds list comes from players (Feao, Malaloua) who were eligible for Australia before being capped by foreign countries. But the rebels having to make an 11th hour change because they had too many in the match day squad was ridiculous, just a complete lack of management of the situation. Given I was advocating for better controls to prevent exactly that situation arising it stands as a pretty relevant example.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I personally would prefer they allowed up to 5 imports per squad. Get successful teams that help grow interest that then fuels opportunities for more teams long term (say up to 8).

Yep I think up to 5, it's probably not really an issue, teams won't have enough money to really buy too many really topline players. The main thing is too make sure the Aussie player of proper standard are still able to get fair contracts.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It appears negotiations are not going well:

The meeting was supposed to be about Australian “expressions of interest” in the Kiwis’ planned trans-Tasman competition, but as Rugby Australia CEO Rob Clarke listened to his New Zealand Rugby counterpart Mark Robertson on Monday, all he heard were “expressions of insolence”.

Granted, that remarkable opinion only comes second-hand, from the chairman of Rugby Australia Hamish McLennan. “Clarkie said it was more ‘expressions of insolence’,” McLennan told The Australian when questioned on the outcome of the video hook-up.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/819806bfc19379b959edb008048abf67

Status
Not open for further replies.