• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure, but a little amusing that NZR proposes a comp that may or may not include all present Aus teams, and it causes outrage, yet someone claims that RA could set up one with only ONE of Japan's teams and also one from SA , it is deemed quite alright?

mmmmm most interesting!!

Its quite simple to understand really, one proposes the extinction of a franchise and the worst thing is the one proposing it doesn't have to deal with the backlash and political fall out that comes of it, and the other proposal doesn't.

It's a very simple equation.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Panda is suggesting if RA goes it alone they'll set up an 8 team competition with the Drua, Sunwolves and and Argentinian team.....

I don't buy it.

Ultimately, I think once all of the cold war style negotiation and posturing is done with NZ and RA will agree to an initial 10 team competition with a Pasifika team added in future.

Neither do I. Mainly because the Sunwolves are no more and Japan is moving forward with its own league structure so there's no need for them to participate and because the UAR has pretty much disbanded the Jaguares and allowed their squad members to seek contracts overseas. Of which many already have secured. It's just not practical.

If we are to go it alone then look to draw in Fiji and the Samoan squad from GRR.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm surprised by people saying we don't have the talent for 5 teams. I'd say we have plenty of talent to spare, our problem of disparity of results at Super/Test level stems from our poor coaching from juniors right through to professional ranks

We fix that and we go a long way gaining parity with NZ, even taking into account all our athletes we lose to league

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm surprised by people saying we don't have the talent for 5 teams. I'd say we have plenty of talent to spare, our problem of disparity of results at Super/Test level stems from our poor coaching from juniors right through to professional ranks

We fix that and we go a long way gaining parity with NZ, even taking into account all our athletes we lose to league

We have enough talent to fill out 5 highly competitive teams, problem is half of it is overseas. That's the real issue for me. Coaching could also help, but if we coach players up to a higher standard only to have them leave it won't solve anything.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
In other interesting news there has been another two senior players in NZ come forward today and say the NZ-only comp is unsustainable and called for greater diversity of opponent.

But their main reasoning is that the comp is too hard on the bodies and the matches are like test matches, so they want some easier teams to play against.

I would suggest they can do that by including two more teams (I know all the Kiwi's here say it can't be done).

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
We have enough talent to fill out 5 highly competitive teams, problem is half of it is overseas. That's the real issue for me. Coaching could also help, but if we coach players up to a higher standard only to have them leave it won't solve anything.

Agreed

In saying that though, respectfully i think the Western Force have proved what good coaching can achieve. On paper they have no right to have put in the performances they have, but they've played a really attractive, competitive style of football

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
But their main reasoning is that the comp is too hard on the bodies and the matches are like test matches, so they want some easier teams to play against.

I would suggest they can do that by including two more teams (I know all the Kiwi's here say it can't be done).

i don't understand the attrition argument of a 10 week comp with a bye every 5th week, Rugby League is as brutal as it gets and is played over 20+ rounds week after week.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With all the talk of a lack of quality in Aus teams, its interesting to note that 17 of the players in the Argentine World Cup Squad last year currently have no contract for next year. Including 10 that played against France and lost by 2 points (5 starting, 5 bench). Even more available if you include the young guys that have come through in the last 12 months that would now be pushing for a national spot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With all the talk of a lack of quality in Aus teams, its interesting to note that 17 of the players in the Argentine World Cup Squad last year currently have no contract for next year. Including 10 that played against France and lost by 2 points (5 starting, 5 bench). Even more available if you include the young guys that have come through in the last 12 months that would now be pushing for a national spot.

No money for em, unless we get a comp agreed and a TV deal signed up quick smart (or Twiggy brings them in).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No money for em, unless we get a comp agreed and a TV deal signed up quick smart (or Twiggy brings them in).

That would be part of the point in sourcing PE be it a form or Forrest. Well, at least part of it. Buy in a bunch of Argentines, bring in the Drua and Manua Samoa and find a squad for an 8th team based in Sydney or Newcastle or hell, even Adelaide in order to not raise East Coast bias arguments.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Argentinians would be cheap relative to the quality of player.

If we end up needing to go full domestic I think we could quickly start a new team or even 2 that's made up primarily of overseas players in order to avoid disrupting the existing 5 too much. But I do think it would be better for any team like that to include a decent number of Australian players and be called Western Sydney or Newcastle or whatever than it would be to have say the Jaguares playing as a 100% Argentinian team temporarily based in Australia.

If some agreement with the Argentinian union could be reached then maybe you could have a team called the Western Sydney Jaguars, with x squad spots guaranteed for Argentinian players. The nickname would work for the region too, along the same lines as the Penrith Panthers.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
109243.jpg

A Paul Tito Avatar.

giphy.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Its quite simple to understand really, one proposes the extinction of a franchise and the worst thing is the one proposing it doesn't have to deal with the backlash and political fall out that comes of it, and the other proposal doesn't.

It's a very simple equation.

Mate I will be honest, I was just having a wind up and showing it all depends how you look at things, I was in now way saying either was right or wrong, but how they can be perceived!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Argentinians would be cheap relative to the quality of player.

If we end up needing to go full domestic I think we could quickly start a new team or even 2 that's made up primarily of overseas players in order to avoid disrupting the existing 5 too much. But I do think it would be better for any team like that to include a decent number of Australian players and be called Western Sydney or Newcastle or whatever than it would be to have say the Jaguares playing as a 100% Argentinian team temporarily based in Australia.

If some agreement with the Argentinian union could be reached then maybe you could have a team called the Western Sydney Jaguars, with x squad spots guaranteed for Argentinian players. The nickname would work for the region too, along the same lines as the Penrith Panthers.
Got to say feels like RA growing up and realising it can’t be dictated to by other SANZAAR partners and indeed look after Australia interests. Also impressed by Hamish making WA rugby and the Force a key part of the dialogue. Just wish the latter realised many of us rugby fans were pained by the cutting of the Force and genuinely happy to see WA and the force back as part of this. Just wish we could stop this bickering about east vs west or rebels vs force stuff as need to move on and would rather just let the kiwis bang on about their 2003 misguided crap then have us fight amongst ourselves. Clearly we are better together so can’t we play nicely together now please as need all our energies directed towards what is best for oz rugby at this point.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

It actually could be done, Take off Tasman, north end of South Island, and probably could sneak another one in with moving boundaries around Akld or a PI team Fiji/Auckland. I personally rather there a TT, bur a lot depends on RA's finances etc to be able to pay for 5 teams they want I suppose.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It actually could be done, Take off Tasman, north end of South Island, and probably could sneak another one in with moving boundaries around Akld or a PI team Fiji/Auckland. I personally rather there a TT, bur a lot depends on RA's finances etc to be able to pay for 5 teams they want I suppose.

Would there be interest from broadcasters? WOB has previously expressed his opinion that creation of more NZ Super Rugby teams is not a valid option.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Got to say feels like RA growing up and realising it can’t be dictated to by other SANZAAR partners and indeed look after Australia interests. Also impressed by Hamish making WA rugby and the Force a key part of the dialogue. Just wish the latter realised many of us rugby fans were pained by the cutting of the Force and genuinely happy to see WA and the force back as part of this. Just wish we could stop this bickering about east vs west or rebels vs force stuff as need to move on and would rather just let the kiwis bang on about their 2003 misguided crap then have us fight amongst ourselves. Clearly we are better together so can’t we play nicely together now please as need all our energies directed towards what is best for oz rugby at this point.

Exactly what Twiggy said on Breakdown RN, all work together , then seemed to indicate Rebels could go;). But you are right, decide what is in Aussie's interest in the long run and plan go for it, as a kiwi I would be pissed if NZR didn't do the same!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Would there be interest from broadcasters? WOB has previously expressed his opinion that creation of more NZ Super Rugby teams is not a valid option.

Don't know, but I have no idea what broadcaster's want, but plenty here seem to think a watered down Aus comp would attract $s. I was just saying how it could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.