• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
More than 6 might be possible if the Sunwolves and/or Jaguares could be involved (and obviously based in Australia for the tournament).
Sure, not impossible but I suspect the chances of either of those happening are long.

Guessing a number between 5 and 8, my pick would be 5+1=6 the starting point for an Aussoup. That is doable.

Getting to 8 from there in time for 2021 means (most likely, IMO) playing a variant of NRC. A harder ask in a few ways, including dollar$.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sure, not impossible but I suspect the chances of either of those happening are long.

Guessing a number between 5 and 8 my pick would be 5+1=6 the starting point for an Aussoup. That is doable.

Getting to 8 from there in time for 2021 means (most likely, IMO) playing a variant of NRC. A harder ask in a few ways, including dollar$.

Six is definitely doable with 7 a possibility if you leverage the GRR connections to being in the Manuma squad. Perhaps even bring in the Tigers and base them somewhere here while drafting in some higher level talent (ideally Australian)to help them be more competitive.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
If anyone still backs the theory that SRNZ is god’s gift to rugby then watch the CRU v CHI game just winding up. More errors than my kids science exam and appalling reffing. While I’m at it, I have no problem with chics covering rugby in the media, in fact I like it. Actually being the commentator though, nah, doesn’t work.

Not your best post , Kob

Best leave that unsaid. The disruption to the Hornets nest could be considerable

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Sunwolves are gone. Sucks but it's true. And Japanese Rugby is moving on. Suggesting their involvement is counter productive. Similar to the Jaguares. Their squad has been released to explore their options and about half have already taken up deals in Europe. With travel restrictions likely to remain for some time. And if Argentina wants to find alternative competition option for those remaining they could do so at a great deal of ease by setting a 2nd franchise in the Supa Liga de Americano Rugby.

Our best options could be to bring in Fiji and if possible the Manuma from GRR alongside a 6th Aus team based around a BaaBaas set up. What should be on the agenda for next year at a minimum is a 6 team competition featuring Fiji and some kind of Cup competition based in one country with NZ and Japan. Most likely Japan. Go to where the most eyeballs are. Same for Tests. If South Africa is still in the deep with Covid then run a proper Pacific Nations Cup with at least Aus, NZ, Japan and Fiji.

I only mentioned the Sunwolves and Jaguares because it had been reported RA was looking to include those teams in a domestic based competition if the TT competition doesn't happen. I think they are unlikely too, but you never know what might be happening behind the scenes. The Jaguares would probably still be able to send a competitive team. Even with the top 50% of their squad replaced by Argentina XV guys and their best 20 year olds I think they'd be stronger than the other GRR teams like Manuma Samoa. I doubt it would be for more than 1 year. But I'd still put them as the 3rd most likely extra team after Fiji and Australian BaaBaas.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jaguares are extinct... Argentina done have no money to pay for professional rugby and have released their players, their is a stampede of Pumas heading to Europe

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jaguares are extinct. Argentina done have no money to pay for professional rugby and have released their players, their is a stampede of Pumas heading to Europe

I think some Aussie teams should be buying them. or at least some of them.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jaguares are extinct. Argentina done have no money to pay for professional rugby and have released their players, their is a stampede of Pumas heading to Europe

We know that most of their top players have moved to Europe. But the Jaguares had a big squad and a lot of them are still in Argentina. They sent their reserve/fringe squad members to South Africa last year and dominated the Currie Cup First Division. And their u-20's are competitive every year so take the pick of that bunch as well.

Any Jaguares squad that played in Australia next year would be significantly weaker than their 2019 and 2020 Super Rugby squads, but I think they'd probably be at a decent enough level. And even if a full Jaguares squad won't work it could still be possible to bring in some of those guys into a BaaBaas type team.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We know that most of their top players have moved to Europe. But the Jaguares had a big squad and a lot of them are still in Argentina. They sent their reserve/fringe squad members to South Africa last year and dominated the Currie Cup First Division. And their u-20's are competitive every year so take the pick of that bunch as well.

Any Jaguares squad that played in Australia next year would be significantly weaker than their 2019 and 2020 Super Rugby squads, but I think they'd probably be at a decent enough level. And even if a full Jaguares squad won't work it could still be possible to bring in some of those guys into a BaaBaas type team.

The Jaguares just being the Pumas was a silly idea anyway. Having a professional environment for players to develop without having all those spots taken up by your best players makes sense to me. Let them play in Europe. It's not like they have a domestic comp they are trying to protect like us.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Watching Aotearoa and SRau has demonstrates two main things

1) the NZ skills levels are light years ahead of the AU teams.

however, despite this

2) the two comps are hugely competitive *generally. Making them more exciting.

If there is a TT competition the NZ teams would consistently pump the Aussie teams which would make for boring matches.

Keep them separate I reckon, for now at least.

*as I side note - Aotearoa has shown that bringing in more relevant and varied commentary massively improves viewing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

1) the two comps are hugely competitive *generally. Making them more exciting.

2) the NZ skills levels are light years ahead of the AU teams.

If there is a TT competition the NZ teams would consistently pump the Aussie teams which would make for boring matches.

*as I side note - Aotearoa has shown that bringing in more relevant and varied commentary massively improves viewing.

I didn't see yesterday's game but the Reds v Brumbies game was far superior to the NZ game that preceded it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

1) the NZ skills levels are light years ahead of the AU teams.

however, despite this

2) the two comps are hugely competitive *generally. Making them more exciting.

The results pre-lockdown don't seem to support this hypothesis.

IMO the 2017-18 years were a bit of an aberration. NZ will consistently be more successful but they will not 'light years ahead'. They'll just be a bit better. As they ever have been and IMO ever will be.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe pumped was a little harsh :).

OK, thought experiment - If there was a TT comp now, playing each team twice - with the teams as they are - would you agree the top four teams that would make up the Semis would be kiwi teams?

The Brumbies might sneak in.

If so, how would that make for a compelling competition?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely not. What makes you think? The Tahs and Force would undoubtedly be last but I'm confident the Tahs could potentially beat the Chiefs and Highlanders at home. What makes you think the Chiefs, Highlanders and Hurricanes are so much better than the Rebels, Reds and Brumbies when there was no evidence of that this year?

As you say, imagine how good the AU teams look with a different set of commentators because it really is myths and perception to think the NZ games are more intense.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Absolutely not. What makes you think? The Tahs and Force would undoubtedly be last but I'm confident the Tahs could potentially beat the Chiefs and Highlanders at home. What makes you think the Chiefs, Highlanders and Hurricanes are so much better than the Rebels, Reds and Brumbies when there was no evidence of that this year?

As you say, imagine how good the AU teams look with a different set of commentators because it really is myths and perception to think the NZ games are more intense.

And a crowd too.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Not more intense at all :) - I love the intensity of the SRau - I said compelling - there are markedly more handing errors in SRau though.

But I completely agree - the Fox AU commentary is atrocious - very little insight or energy

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Combining the two comps

- Crusaders clearly the best
- Blues and Hurricanes fighting it out for runner up
- Brumbies slightly better than Highlanders and Chiefs
- Reds and Rebels slightly worse than Chiefs and Highlanders
- Tahs and Force clearly worse than the rest but the Tahs are the most inexperienced team and the Force didn't have the luxury of building a squad for this level

Most the Aus teams have the upside of youth when compared to the NZ squads so should develop to bridge the gap

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Agree

Combining the two comps

- Crusaders clearly the best
- Blues and Hurricanes fighting it out for runner up
- Brumbies slightly better than Highlanders and Chiefs
- Reds and Rebels slightly worse than Chiefs and Highlanders
- Tahs and Force clearly worse than the rest but the Tahs are the most inexperienced team and the Force didn't have the luxury of building a squad for this level

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Brumbies would be top 4

Reds would be very close, i actually think they'd go better against kiwi opposition, i think theyre a "rise to the occassion" sort of team

Rebels turn every game into a shitshow so would be bound to trip up some opposition

My total hypothetical current rankings for TT

Crusaders
Blues
Brumbies
Huricanes
Reds
Highlanders
Rebels
Chiefs
Waratahs
Force

Status