• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s not. I think it’s a really dud concept if the Tahs and Reds still exist. It would only make sense if we went a domestic route of only NRC teams.

I mean shit the two promos for both Reds vs Tahs matches was literally the focus of the state rivalry and history ie. Origin.

it makes perfect sense if the Tah & Reds were the two sides playing in the Super 8 and this fixture was part of super 8

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
City v Country is a great idea ,not looking like we are copying league and can put blokes from any state in a team yet still have people pick a side

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
surley that game would be played in one of the home states, not as a curtain raiser at Suncorp

It can be a curtain raiser in terms of tv viewership rather than actually being a physical curtain raiser, i'd be disappointing if the QLD v NSW game wasn't a sellout if we went down this avenue

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
City v Country is a great idea ,not looking like we are copying league and can put blokes from any state in a team yet still have people pick a side

You do know League had city country up until a couple of years ago where it was canned because it wasnt seen as financially viable or had enough by in from the community

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
But that is the point of difference- we have a bigger footprint than league , country v city allows us to pick WA , Vic and ACT and others as say Country , no need for a "rest side "so metro Sydney and Brisbane can be city we have to be different or we will look like piss weak SOO lite

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
But that is the point of difference- we have a bigger footprint than league , country v city allows us to pick WA , Vic and ACT and others as say Country , no need for a "rest side "so metro Sydney and Brisbane can be city we have to be different or we will look like piss weak SOO lite

1) seems weird that you'd consider say Perth and Melbourne as "Country"

2) Very few people care for the city v country rivalry anymore

Logistically yes, it makes alot of sense but it can be the most logistically savy thing in the world, doesn't mean people are going to buy into it. Australia is a smaller place now, there's not a great division between city and country folk anymore

half

Alan Cameron (40)
From the OZ, much more in the article.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/27f99e98d70cba1ffdcd267230c84dda

Rugby Australia has effectively set New Zealand a deadline of September 4 to decide whether the two countries will proceed with a trans-Tasman competition or whether Australia will go it alone with a domestic series – possibly for as long as five years.

RA on Monday distributed documents to a range of broadcasters proposing two rival Super Rugby models, a trans-Tasman competition or one based solely on the five Australian franchises – the Waratahs, Reds, Brumbies, Western Force and Melbourne Rebels.

RA chief executive Rob Clarke insisted the model for next year needed to be settled by September 4. “So D-Day is coming,” Clarke said.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Further to the above smh is reporting similar. as above much more detail in the full article

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ts-set-to-shake-up-rugby-20200810-p55kcf.html

A Champions League style "Super Eight" concept, to run after either a domestic competition or trans-Tasman equivalent, and Australian rugby's own State of Origin series are two fresh ideas included by Rugby Australia in a new broadcast package that will be taken to market.
Monday's announcement came as interim RA boss Rob Clarke put the heat on New Zealand to make a call on next year, warning that "D-Day is coming" and making it clear Australia wants to formally begin negotiations by September 4 for a broadcast package that won't include the 2025 British and Irish Lions series in it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep which is why message is TT with 5 oz teams or we do our own thing - the super8 was very clear this already discussed with other parties / countries

Was it? I didn't read that. And I can't find it. doesn't really matter though, I do like his ideas, sound good. I still think they will end up with TT if RA can show they got the money to support the 5 teams.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
You do know League had city country up until a couple of years ago where it was canned because it wasnt seen as financially viable or had enough by in from the community

It had big issues as it was not always a real country team, people who actually live in the country want a team that represent them. League also only had NSW player playing, and League rules allow for a player to essentially choose a team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that if we have a comp with Reds and Tahs in it then the Qld v NSW Origin will just confuse the hell out of people. I don’t mind the origin concept as representative teams selected from the preceding comp as a precursor to Tests (I.e. Wallabies selection trials) but I don’t think they can be called Qld & NSW, because they will include players from other states. E.g one team has NSW, ACT, Vic Origin players, the other Qld, WA and the rest - South East v North &West.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Was it? I didn't read that. And I can't find it. doesn't really matter though, I do like his ideas, sound good. I still think they will end up with TT if RA can show they got the money to support the 5 teams.

From rugby.com.au

Clarke said Australia's plans had been discussed with the other countries and said his organisation was still committed to being a part of SANZAAR for international rugby.
"I think the situation, partly driven by COVID, partly driven by individual countries' intentions has created somewhat difficult conversations around the SANZAAR table and Jurie Roux and South Africa has made his views known as has Gus Pichot from Argentina's point of view," he said.
"We have very much included them in all of our discussions.
"So, we're in no means cutting off our SANZAAR partners and we'll be looking to do things jointly with them beyond the TRC wherever possible.
"That said ,we do need to have a competition that has integrity to it and has an ability to grow our game here in Australia and grow our fan base and some of the options we're looking at we believe will do just that."

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
If Victoria doesn’t have its own side I would rather sit out.

I see Vic WA as a curtain raiser would help draw in more of an audience to the main game

I also wouldn't want to watch a NSW QLD match with saying Jordan Uelese running out for NSW. Makes nonsense and reminds the smaller states of what Rugby looked like for us 10-15 years ago. Our talent having to travel for opportunity due to no options at home.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As other posters have said, I'd prefer a Wallabies vs. Not-Quite-Wallabies game where the Wob's HC gets the first pick of a 25 person squad, and then a Super coach gets pick of the remainder.

Make it a 3 game series.

Status
Not open for further replies.