• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I gotta say I like RA's proposal. If they do indeed have a Super 8 tournament, my preference is for the 5 Aussie teams to go it alone with the Fijian Drua. I've found myself surprisingly invested in the Aus Super comp. I like how the Aussie teams are the focus. Whilst it would love to see us playing the NZ teams on a more regular basis, I suspect we'd end up with a comp mostly dominated by the kiwi teams, which will simply turn off the casual Australian fans.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From rugby.com.au

Clarke said Australia's plans had been discussed with the other countries and said his organisation was still committed to being a part of SANZAAR for international rugby.
"I think the situation, partly driven by COVID, partly driven by individual countries' intentions has created somewhat difficult conversations around the SANZAAR table and Jurie Roux and South Africa has made his views known as has Gus Pichot from Argentina's point of view," he said.
"We have very much included them in all of our discussions.
"So, we're in no means cutting off our SANZAAR partners and we'll be looking to do things jointly with them beyond the TRC wherever possible.
"That said ,we do need to have a competition that has integrity to it and has an ability to grow our game here in Australia and grow our fan base and some of the options we're looking at we believe will do just that."

At least one SANZAAR partner has put some effort into consulting the other partners, something that NZR arrogance did not consider relevant. You'd imagine that RSA and Argentina will be happier with this proposal due to higher respect being shown - but it doesn't mean it will suit them.

NZ can work a TT which fits RA requirements or we go alone. RA have needed to put a time line on decissions as there are broadcast process negotiation deadlines.

Things are definitely getting closer for AUs proceeding domestically should NZR not quickly reconsider.

Hamish seems to have the courage of his convictions and is developing a competition structure which designed as much as possible for commercial success. Something that has not seriously been addressed previously.

There is also the involvement of PI in consideration - targeted as expansion of the domestic component. SO decissions are required from NZR before the conversation can be advanced.

If New Zealand opts against agreeing to a trans-Tasman competition with five Australian and five New Zealand teams, Clarke said Australia would continue discussions with Japan and also the Pacific Island nations around having teams in Australia's tournament.
"It's five Australian teams, you can guarantee that," he said.
"We are in detailed discussions with the Japanese rugby union about a potential involvement of Japan in any future competitions and indeed the pacific, Fiji and other nations in the pacific, are always looking to get involved.
"Having the Drua involved in our National Rugby Championship paved the way to show just what they can do both on the field and the engagement with fans and that's something we'll look to explore as well.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, but this looks good so far. Wouldn't it be amusing if Super becomes Super 6 if RSA, Argentina and Japan are interested while NZR continue hunting EOIs from Hawaii and outer Mongolia?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I think that if we have a comp with Reds and Tahs in it then the Qld v NSW Origin will just confuse the hell out of people. I don’t mind the origin concept as representative teams selected from the preceding comp as a precursor to Tests (I.e. Wallabies selection trials) but I don’t think they can be called Qld & NSW, because they will include players from other states. E.g one team has NSW, ACT, Vic Origin players, the other Qld, WA and the rest - South East v North &West.

Domestic Travel Bubbles v The Covid States

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
It had big issues as it was not always a real country team, people who actually live in the country want a team that represent them. League also only had NSW player playing, and League rules allow for a player to essentially choose a team.

I don’t remember that being the case at all. I destinctly remember all the players having their country junior clubs up against their profiles on the tv, there was the odd iffy selection that had a claim to both city and country but no more controversy around selections than SOO. Which are very few and far between

And yes it was only a NSW thing, don’t think that really changes the argument though within the NSW environment it was not super popular, adding other states so it could be not super popular there either doesn’t really fix a problem

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Wouldn't it be amusing if Super becomes Super 6 if RSA, Argentina and Japan are interested while NZR continue hunting EOIs from Hawaii and outer Mongolia?

I agree with everything else but really this would be a very disappointing outcome, not that I can see it happening.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I also wouldn't want to watch a NSW QLD match with saying Jordan Uelese running out for NSW. Makes nonsense and reminds the smaller states of what Rugby looked like for us 10-15 years ago. Our talent having to travel for opportunity due to no options at home.
Couldn’t agree more

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As other posters have said, I'd prefer a Wallabies vs. Not-Quite-Wallabies game where the Wob's HC gets the first pick of a 25 person squad, and then a Super coach gets pick of the remainder.

Make it a 3 game series.
Do it this way so they can target combinations:

First coach gets to pick his front row
Second coach picks his front row, then his locks.
First coach picks his locks, then his back row.
Second coach - back row then halves
First coach - halves then centres
Second coach - centres then back three
First coach - back three then #16
etc, etc and work through the bench by jersey number

It won't generate any tribalism but as a Wallabies selection should be a good spectacle.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m all for SOO if they had a Vic v WA game televised as the lead in.

Has anyone ever thought about a Public vs Private??? That is something that I believe genuinely has some tribalism to it in rugby circles.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Worth a listen, and it looks like a bit of an impasse. You can see the NZ fan viewpoint, but I'm more curious re: Sky sports favoring a TT model, I think it would be interesting to look a little more closely at the economics of that viewpoint.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see how they think an 8-team competition is better for the fans than 10. 8 is just so stale. Same teams over and over again.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't see how they think an 8-team competition is better for the fans than 10. 8 is just so stale. Same teams over and over again.
It’s simple stuff really 10 sides everyone plays each other twice 18 rounds plus a mid season bye maybe two bye weeks. 5 games a week

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

In their eyes having 8 competitive teams is better than having a 10 team comp with two or three easybeats.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In their eyes having 8 competitive teams is better than having a 10 team comp with two or three easybeats.

They didn't mention competitiveness when they said the fans prefer 8 and the competitive line is pure bullshit given they want a PI team involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.