• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RA have been negotiating with NZRU for months. NZRU dropped a comp format on RA via the papers and direct approaches to the Aus franchises. Front running in the media yes. Playing games no.

Who told you they did it via the papers? By all means I would like to know. NZR didn't even have a proposal until July 14th (when Aratipu report was released) so I not sure how anyone was negotiating for months. I haven't actually seen any NZR quotes in papers, but by all means point them out to me ,I may of missed them.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I remain unhappy with the Castle saga. But I am not sure she would have been prepared to present the same way that Clarke is. I didn't like losing Castle, but I'm not unhappy with Clarke even as a temporary arrangement.

I suspect the real difference is Clyne v McLennan and I am not slightly saddened by the departure of Clyne.

So who do you think will take over from Clarke, and how long is he there for?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No idea Dan, you'd think he's in the box seat though.

Hell yeah, he's not around if things go tits up etc, so he on a win win. I not knocking him by any means, he is using papers to put pressure on, and you have to admit as I pointed out earlier, by playing the papers so well NZR is looking bad (not saying they right or wrong) and suddenly in forums like this we have most Aussie posters saying what a great job they doing, where as before they were all just form some Sydney suburb and an old boys network I think it's great publicity. As for having being in box seat, for what? We have RA saying supposedly they don't mind NZ getting a bigger percentage of TV $s etc, usually if you in box seat you just sy nothing and let the other side come begging! Well I would!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fairly sure Clarke doesn’t want the role permanently - he has other business interests.

No he has always said he only there as temporary measure because there was noone else suitable. I think he finishes before end of year, why I asked as I not sure.
Just had a look on Google
Interim CEO Rob Clarke is back at Rugby Australia for a good time not a long time, promising a ruthless competition review and to stamp out the “factions and frustrations” that have plagued the code.

Clarke, who has served as CEO of the Melbourne Rebels and Brumbies, accepted the short-term post from executive chairman Paul McLean on Wednesday night, almost two weeks after Raelene Castle vacated the job
Seems not only posters here thought RA was dog' balls, and I can understand why NZR had to start planning a comp, seems even their new CEO was not overly taken with their abilities.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hell yeah, he's not around if things go tits up etc, so he on a win win. I not knocking him by any means, he is using papers to put pressure on, and you have to admit as I pointed out earlier, by playing the papers so well NZR is looking bad (not saying they right or wrong) and suddenly in forums like this we have most Aussie posters saying what a great job they doing, where as before they were all just form some Sydney suburb and an old boys network I think it's great publicity. As for having being in box seat, for what? We have RA saying supposedly they don't mind NZ getting a bigger percentage of TV $s etc, usually if you in box seat you just sy nothing and let the other side come begging! Well I would!

No actually I don't. At all.

Dan, your viewpoint is clear to all bothered reading it. Nothing to see here, move along.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Quite frankly, with the NZ flare up, talk from the NT head that they consider border closures for the next 12-18 months most likely, pretty much overseas travel put on hold for the next year or two, just look at Vic, even before we start looking at the mess some countries are in overseas, and a genuine vaccine at least 6-12 months away.

Putting all of that in context, I find it staggering that they're even looking at a TT comp for next year. Surely we would be better of putting those energies into a domestic competition, any broadcaster with half a brain is gonna put in caveats regards a co-vid flare up, a TT comp may end up sending both the RA & NZRU broke.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Covid having now re-emerged on both sides of the ditch I'm more convinced than ever that RA & NZR should be organising separate but similar comps & hoping that Super 8 or whatever can happen after that.
Yeh it’s one thing organizing a rugby championship or Bledisloe as you can base teams in a sole location but having a week in, week out comp I think wouldn’t work if things don’t improve.

Reactions: dru

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeh it’s one thing organizing a rugby championship or Bledisloe as you can base teams in a sole location but having a week in, week out comp I think wouldn’t work if things don’t improve.

More likely the Super 8 concept could operate in a hub over a few weeks after the domestic comps.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No he has always said he only there as temporary measure because there was noone else suitable. I think he finishes before end of year, why I asked as I not sure.
Just had a look on Google
Interim CEO Rob Clarke is back at Rugby Australia for a good time not a long time, promising a ruthless competition review and to stamp out the “factions and frustrations” that have plagued the code.

Clarke, who has served as CEO of the Melbourne Rebels and Brumbies, accepted the short-term post from executive chairman Paul McLean on Wednesday night, almost two weeks after Raelene Castle vacated the job
Seems not only posters here thought RA was dog' balls, and I can understand why NZR had to start planning a comp, seems even their new CEO was not overly taken with their abilities.
Funny thing is feel rob Clarke with Hamish doing good job and would be happy for rob Clarke to stay on. But given Wa rugby and force fans won’t be happy not an option as hard enough to convince them we like and want wa rugby and force involved as part of oz rugby with every move by RA seemingly appearing as a conspiracy against the west.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep it pretty tough, and I do think RA is right to listen to WA's concerns and get them back on side. I do like the job he seems to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.