• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whose side is Bret Harris on? Seems a bit negative. What's this "two division national club competition, which could potentially replace Super Rugby and reduce costs" all about? He seems to suggest RA have been considering it.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...-shape-future-of-australian-rugby/ar-BB18DRgq

Brett Harris has been pretty negative on the Australian side of things for a while now. Always reads like someone has done something to personally piss him off.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway, was't yesterday the final day for TV channels to tell RA what they were offering? And didn't NZR have to have an agreement to what RA wanted? When do we get official announcement? I really think if you play hardball you need to show eveyone the results to show you are the real thing, and not perhaps a publicity guru. We seem to have had no official announcement of the Australian story that Aus rugby had the TT comp locked in, and I really thought it would of been made on the due date.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyway, was't yesterday the final day for TV channels to tell RA what they were offering? And didn't NZR have to have an agreement to what RA wanted? When do we get official announcement? I really think if you play hardball you need to show eveyone the results to show you are the real thing, and not perhaps a publicity guru. We seem to have had no official announcement of the Australian story that Aus rugby had the TT comp locked in, and I really thought it would of been made on the due date.
Yesterday was the start of the process to accept bids, this could take weeks. Also doesn’t mean companies have to issue tender on the first day, it’s just the first day RA is open to receiving them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
MediaWorks tv & radio running the story that SRAo is a done deal for 2021 & that an unspecified Pasifika team will be involved. Double round-robin with provision at the end for a TT post-season if border restrictions allow, or a third Round if they don't. Full details TBA within two weeks.

The only other outlet reporting this is the Hurld & their story is pretty much "MediaWorks says....." so I'm a little sceptical pending an announcement or substantive leak

Edit: but it does seem to tie in with the piece from The Aus someone quoted earlier so maybe I'm biased due to my preference for a comp that sits somewhere between M10 & Super Rugby in terms of team no.s, salary cap, etc as a stop-gap until a proper TT comp is possible.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yesterday was the start of the process to accept bids, this could take weeks. Also doesn’t mean companies have to issue tender on the first day, it’s just the first day RA is open to receiving them.

Got you mate. I wasn't sure there have been so many different so called leaks etc, I was getting confused (not that hard to do admittedly;)) ,I thought RA had given NZR until 4th to say that they were going along with 5 teams etc (which I think was always agreed anyway after they started talking) and they could then tell interested broadcasters what they were offering. As you say it probably only opening day of offers etc.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
MediaWorks tv & radio running the story that SRAo is a done deal for 2021 & that an unspecified Pasifika team will be involved. Double round-robin with provision at the end for a TT post-season if border restrictions allow, or a third Round if they don't. Full details TBA within two weeks.

The only other outlet reporting this is the Hurld & their story is pretty much "MediaWorks says..." so I'm a little sceptical pending an announcement or substantive leak

Edit: but it does seem to tie in with the piece from The Aus someone quoted earlier so maybe I'm biased due to my preference for a comp that sits somewhere between M10 & Super Rugby in terms of team no.s, salary cap, etc as a stop-gap until a proper TT comp is possible.

I really liked that 8 team structure you mentioned. And if possible, would be a much better fit for a TT.

Although unlikely, I was thinking you could still keep the names of your current Super Rugby teams. Am I right in thinking that fans are attached to the Super Rugby teams because that's what their province is attached to? And if a couple of provinces broke away from the Super Rugby team to set up a new Super Rugby team, then the fans of those provinces would follow the new Super Rugby team?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Yep and you would hope RA would consider a lot of ideas, that's what any board does , throw in a few ideas and discard what they don't think will work. Isn't this exactly what this thread is about?

Well there's considering and there's considering. Harris seems to suggest that it was a bit more serious than this forum. But maybe I'm over reading it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The only other outlet reporting this is the Hurld & their story is pretty much "MediaWorks says..." so I'm a little sceptical pending an announcement or substantive leak

It ties in very closely to what was in The Australian. Which suggest more veracity to that report. You wouldn't have a link would you? (Bugger off Kiap)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well there's considering and there's considering. Harris seems to suggest that it was a bit more serious than this forum. But maybe I'm over reading it.

I think it was investigated. Sure. But I don't think it ever got to a point where it was considered a viable long term option. Plus, the whole idea of it being a more cost effective option seems very unlikely.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I continue to wonder if we had decent Private Equity investment and the investors understanding what a competitive oz sides against NZ sides would do for the game - that surely they make investment in big name stars for oz sides - buy some good league players and really seek to disrupt the sports market in oz.

Can dream I guess - but I still think of the success and innovation of things like Big Bash and bringing in marquee players had...and imagine the art of the possible. Private equity investment and serious private equity investment could be the game changer....I am still not sure how much this is hope vs reality....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really liked that 8 team structure you mentioned. And if possible, would be a much better fit for a TT.

Although unlikely, I was thinking you could still keep the names of your current Super Rugby teams. Am I right in thinking that fans are attached to the Super Rugby teams because that's what their province is attached to? And if a couple of provinces broke away from the Super Rugby team to set up a new Super Rugby team, then the fans of those provinces would follow the new Super Rugby team?

I think you'd definitely keep the Blues, Crusaders etc "brands" & that it wouldn't be too difficult to quickly establish new ones. The Pasifika team would have an instant fan-base, you only have to look at how the Tongan & Samoan communities got behind "our boys" at RWC 2011 & RLWC more recently.

For the BofP-based team you'd need outside money & players but I have no doubt that there's a substantial number of people who'd prefer a game in Tauranga or Rotorua every second week to one a season. Tasman Mako is also pre-existing & many in that region would argue that they contribute far more to the Crusaders than they get in return: again, a game in Nelson or Blenheim every second week v one a season in Nelson & maybe a pre-season one in Blenheim isn't that hard a sell.

I'm not suggesting that the buy-in would be instantaneously 100% (I didn't become a Mako supporter until I moved back to NZ & saw that they were a real footy team not some marketing dept fiction) but I do think there'd be a decent-sized base to begin with that you could grow over time. The biggest challenge would be managing expectations as there's no way Pasifika & Mako are going to be the Blues & Crusaders on day one, but the Blues & Crusaders aren't going to be what they were, either, so it'll all even out just at a slightly lower quality level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't really get how an Auckland based Pasifika team would work. I don't think you could restrict who can play for the team along racial/ethnic lines for obvious reasons. So is it basically just another team but with a Polynesian audience?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't really get how an Auckland based Pasifika team would work. I don't think you could restrict who can play for the team along racial/ethnic lines for obvious reasons. So is it basically just another team but with a Polynesian audience?

Why couldn't it just have restrictions based on test eligibility? i.e. X number of players (or even all players) must be capped or eligible for Samoa, Tonga or Fiji. How is this different to Australian or NZ Super rugby teams being restricted to mostly Wallabies or All Blacks eligible players?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why couldn't it just have restrictions based on test eligibility? i.e. X number of players (or even all players) must be capped or eligible for Samoa, Tonga or Fiji. How is this different to Australian or NZ Super rugby teams being restricted to mostly Wallabies or All Blacks eligible players?
Yeah that could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.