• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I believe it is off the table atm. The reality was that I believe it was cost neutral to a degree. That was off the back of Foxtel being willing to front the broadcast and some other costs. RA still chipped in for elements, travel etc..

I'm personally going to really miss the NRC. It was a great opportunity to see future talent from across the country. Club level will just never replace it to my mind, nor the other things such as a coaching pathway that is lost with it's demise.
Yep you and me and the other 5 nsw nrc supporters loved it. I always went to nsw nrc team matches every season and loved it but felt depressed by lack of other Sydney rugby fans supporting what was good concept in theory

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can't see any teams getting formed out of nothing in 3 months though. Think Aus and NZ will be same number of teams as this year
Sunwolves realistic option if move fast as basic structure already there - Pacifika team for nz...tell them they are dreaming

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sunwolves realistic option if move fast as basic structure already there - Pacifika team for nz.tell them they are dreaming

Don't know if anyone told you, but Sunwolves have gone,no players or coaches they all been released and gone on to other things. Isn't one of them even playing League for Broncos. Neither team is going to be up and running unless they are further along than we know.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep you and me and the other 5 nsw nrc supporters loved it. I always went to nsw nrc team matches every season and loved it but felt depressed by lack of other Sydney rugby fans supporting what was good concept in theory

With you there RN, I tried to get to any Qld city or Country games, but generally there not a lot there and that was with no charge to get in.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeh saw in same article hodgo quoted as waiting to see what RA come out with. I presumed twiggy more inside the tent with RA but perhaps not as much. But let’s not have any anti RA comments pls as I think based on few months the current mob deserve some credit for what they are trying to do. You are probably right that wa rugby, force and RA will sort it as better together and we all I think with force back in super rugby see this as much happier place to be, including ‘most’ force supporters

Doesn't that send out warning bells? If one team in this comp RA are proposing still waiting to decide what it is going to do doesn't give me confidence that things are as rosey as we would like them to be.
Surely 4 months out and taking all these options to TV they have got Force locked in tight. Otherwise my prediction is the whole thing will fall to pieces as soon as things get to hard.

If NZR were proposing a comp with one team waiting to see if things suited it I would say exactly ssame thing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Doesn't that send out warning bells? If one team in this comp RA are proposing still waiting to decide what it is going to do doesn't give me confidence that things are as rosey as we would like them to be.
Surely 4 months out and taking all these options to TV they have got Force locked in tight. Otherwise my prediction is the whole thing will fall to pieces as soon as things get to hard.

If NZR were proposing a comp with one team waiting to see if things suited it I would say exactly ssame thing.

Yes it is sending some warning bells

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes it is sending some warning bells

I don't know. I suggested this would happen some time back. [More ccurately the bells have been ringing for a long time. Nothing new.] WA owes RA nothing. Forrest will keep his options open. RA need to manage it. The deck is stacked in RA's favour so they simply need to follow through.

OTOH is opens an opportunity for NZR to destroy RA's intended approach. That may ultimately force the Aus franchises back to the table and certainly throw a spanner in planning the competition. But NZR would have proven themselves, again, to be friends you want to think twice about keeping.

The interesting thing is that from recollection Twiggy was discussing relocation to NZ for the comp. Which would remove much of NZ's logistical issues. I suppose it is no different from what they have endured for SRau.

Those who want a TT as the preferred comp, this certainly adds weight to that outcome. Unfortunately it is weight on the Kiwi side hence weight towards a reduction in teams.

Easy to get ahead of ourselves though, you would hope (at least the first stage of) resolution is at hand.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is no chance of the Force playing alone in the NZ comp. Its a silly discussion. It would mean 2yrs away from their fans and logistically a nightmare for the players and the tv zone sucks even more than the east coast slot does for Perth. Verging on zero chance. There is no future in it either, flying over the rest of Aus from 2022 onwards and providing games at 1130pm at night for NZ audience. It’s just abit of gamesmanship, which is fine. The Force coach yesterday on a podcast when asked about it said “well that’s the first time I have heard about it”. He also said it’s the first time he’d heard about certain players been looked at by the club eg. Coleman, etc. as Hodgson said in the article (for those that bothered to read it) Sampson admitted Rodda was someone they were looking at.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s just abit of gamesmanship, which is fine.

Absolutely. But more than that too. Twiggy keeps his options open.

Force had to relocate in 2020, do we know that won't be required in 2021? I don't think it's that big a stretch.

Still you are correct - the deck is stacked for joining SRau over SRa. Broadcast times, being away etc, all very real issues.

And I'd like to think that RA are smart enough (these days) to be able to pull off a negotiation where the odds are in their favour to start with.

Put it this way, if WA were to be de-Clyned again I have no trouble at all imagining the Force basing themselves in NZ to keep the show on the road. So it may be improbable. It is not inconceivable however.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s just abit of gamesmanship, which is fine. T.

Hooray, we agree there has been so much gamesmanship from right at the start of this whole thing about what NZR supposedly said, what Hamish and crew have said, I am glad that some are starting to agree with what I said at start. We still don't know what is on board who has offered who what etc etc, me thinks there some publicity companies at play.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hooray, we agree there has been so much gamesmanship from right at the start of this whole thing about what NZR supposedly said, what Hamish and crew have said, I am glad that some are starting to agree with what I said at start. We still don't know what is on board who has offered who what etc etc, me thinks there some publicity companies at play.
I don’t think this case is the same as NZRU and RA. They have both clearly outlined their positions. WF have outlined nothing, they’re on record as stating nothing. NZRU and RA have clearly outlined their positions, someone will have to give way but that’s not gamesmanship, I think that’s failure to hold strong on which party loses. Because the Force haven’t committed to anything they are free to bounce from side to side.

If you like to admit it or not NZRU have attempted to push people around of late. Nothing outside their own control (domestic decisions) has ended up the way they would of liked of late.

Can’t remember which kiwi journalist this week stated that the NZRU have attempted to flex muscles since Covid and have repeatedly ended up with a bloody nose because of it. Perfectly sums up what most people in world rugby thinks has been happening

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think this case is the same as NZRU and RA. They have both clearly outlined their positions. WF have outlined nothing, they’re on record as stating nothing. NZRU and RA have clearly outlined their positions, someone will have to give way but that’s not gamesmanship, I think that’s failure to hold strong on which party loses. Because the Force haven’t committed to anything they are free to bounce from side to side.

If you like to admit it or not NZRU have attempted to push people around of late. Nothing outside their own control (domestic decisions) has ended up the way they would of liked of late.

Can’t remember which kiwi journalist this week stated that the NZRU have attempted to flex muscles since Covid and have repeatedly ended up with a bloody nose because of it. Perfectly sums up what most people in world rugby thinks has been happening

I happy with whatever, but I still say we don't know. I have read where RA gave NZRU until Sept 4th to go along with 5/5 split , but seemingly here we are on the 9th still not knowing if Aus have 5 teams or Force are supposedly still playing drakes and ducks anyway.? I repeat there a shit load we haven't heard , but we all read whichever suits us the best!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I happy with whatever, but I still say we don't know. I have read where RA gave NZRU until Sept 4th to go along with 5/5 split , but seemingly here we are on the 9th still not knowing if Aus have 5 teams or Force are supposedly still playing drakes and ducks anyway.? I repeat there a shit load we haven't heard , but we all read whichever suits us the best!

Pretty sure that deadline was for broadcasters.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Dan, it seems to me that you continually misrepresent the situation to throw a better light on the NZRU. In this post, you clearly state that we don't know if Aus will have 5 teams. That, to be frank, is bullshit. What we don't know is whether or not NZRU is willing to enter a competition with 5 Aus teams. RA has been clear in saying that all five teams will be included. That could be in a TT competition if NZRU agree, or will be in another Aus competition if NZRU do not agree to our 5 teams.

Let's be clear, The ball is well and truly in NZRU's court. They have the power to make a TT competion a reality, but only on condition there are 5 Aus teams involves, or they can stand on their dig and then both Unions will repeat the separate tournaments again next year, only the NZ one will have an understrength Pacifika side involved which would probably get towelled up by any of the 5 Aus teams.

So, can we have a lot less of your obsfurcation and just let the matters be sorted out at Union level instead of contributing to another 59 pages of tedious argument about how good NZRU is and how they are so misunderstood on this thread.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, it seems to me that you continually misrepresent the situation to throw a better light on the NZRU. In this post, you clearly state that we don't know if Aus will have 5 teams. That, to be frank, is bullshit. What we don't know is whether or not NZRU is willing to enter a competition with 5 Aus teams. RA has been clear in saying that all five teams will be included. That could be in a TT competition if NZRU agree, or will be in another Aus competition if NZRU do not agree to our 5 teams.

Let's be clear, The ball is well and truly in NZRU's court. They have the power to make a TT competion a reality, but only on condition there are 5 Aus teams involves, or they can stand on their dig and then both Unions will repeat the separate tournaments again next year, only the NZ one will have an understrength Pacifika side involved which would probably get towelled up by any of the 5 Aus teams.

So, can we have a lot less of your obsfurcation and just let the matters be sorted out at Union level instead of contributing to another 59 pages of tedious argument about how good NZRU is and how they are so misunderstood on this thread.

Mate I not trying to make NZR look good or other, don't care,(personally I think they have handled it badly) but I was commenting on fact that Hodgson seemingly saying that Force are keeping options open. So he either lying or Force are not yet committed to Aus rugby.
Read the posts that I was quoting and what has supposedly been said about Force's involvement, and how it all a playing games? Whatever he seems to of said it so he is either a liar (and playing politics is lying if he not telling truth) or I am correct and we can't trust what we read in papers! Up to you to decide which is which!
And let's be clear? We don't know who's court the ball is in!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty sure that deadline was for broadcasters.

No it was for NZR to say they agreed to 5 teams from Aus in Super (which I believe was always going to be case) so they could take a confirmed comp to broadcasters. That was what I heard Clarke say in interview. I actually then read last Wednesday he supposedly sais he would divulge on the 4th what the TV deal was, I don't believe that one because he wouldn't say that 2 days out from it, I think he may of been misquoted myself.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So any idea what’s happening? What happened to the September 4 deadline?

that deadline was just for EOI's from broadcasters I think. And it wasn't a cut throat deadline, it was just so RA could assess what the broadcasters wanted with regards to next year and beyond. Covid reigns at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.