• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just like the money from the Sunwolves and Jaguares where going to be the financial saviours of super rugby

Not sure, I not sure if it would add much money, but if team is self funded, have extra team I thought would help. Didn't realise that Sunwolves and jaguares were evr meant to be saviours etc of Super rugby, where did you read that? I thought they were added (like the PI team is meant to) too help spread rugby word. But to be honest you may have more knowledge of it than me. I just not sure why so many are trying to be negative on a PI team that seems to be not costing anyone else too much.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure, I not sure if it would add much money, but if team is self funded, have extra team I thought would help. Didn't realise that Sunwolves and jaguares were evr meant to be saviours etc of Super rugby, where did you read that? I thought they were added (like the PI team is meant to) too help spread rugby word. But to be honest you may have more knowledge of it than me. I just not sure why so many are trying to be negative on a PI team that seems to be not costing anyone else too much.
Wasn’t the whole point of those two sides amongst developing the game opening up two new markets for the TV rights to address the falling revenue?

I am not against PI teams. Just think both unions need to look at getting the core business financially viable first and then look to expand and for what it’s worth when it comes to expansion you should be looking to start the ground work now to have a team ready for 2025

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you will find the proposal being talked about is funding itself? And will add to TV rights etc packages.

Just like the money from the Sunwolves and Jaguares where going to be the financial saviours of super rugby

Especially as the broadcast revenue is drying up. Most sport with existing deals have been slashed where possible.

It's an odd market where it all about TV but the broadcast revenue as well as advertising is down. Super Rugby was struggling to make ends meet financially in a good market and relied on RA and NZRU internationals revenue propping it up. Not sure where they think the money is coming from. Even private equity will want an ROI - so where will the ROI come from?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
tenor.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wasn’t the whole point of those two sides amongst developing the game opening up two new markets for the TV rights to address the falling revenue?

I am not against PI teams. Just think both unions need to look at getting the core business financially viable first and then look to expand and for what it’s worth when it comes to expansion you should be looking to start the ground work now to have a team ready for 2025

New markets is certainly a lot different to Saviour of the comp though. I not sure many on here will agree with you about holding expansion until 2025, think most will want Force in next year!;):p

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's a very interesting point you raise (in general terms). For me this is all as though the overwhelming evidence of the continuing decline in ratings and crowds in Super Rugby (SANZAAR) indicating a product that really is not that popular seems to be willingly ignored. Generally NZ games broadcast here rated lower that the Aussie product.

It's clear the Kiwis are looking to expand outside of their strong but limited (population) domestic market, but does Aussie rugby (and NZ riding who are naively banking relying on the Aussie market), with such a limited supporter base and very small comparatively "home" footprint think that this is a viable product?

Of course Aus games should get higher ratings than NZ games, but if you think it only about Aus market ,I think you are absolutely dreaming and have no idea, it about NH market too where NZ games rate pretty ok . NZ Super Aotearoa games were pulling mid 30s to 40s apparently, and seems games not involving Reds or Tahs are struggling to get that, with reports 20-30,000 is all they pull, it a worry that many so called rugby people are only watching their own team, and not getting into whole Super AU comp.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course Aus games should get higher ratings than NZ games, but if you think it only about Aus market ,I think you are absolutely dreaming and have no idea, it about NH market too where NZ games rate pretty ok . NZ Super Aotearoa games were pulling mid 30s to 40s apparently, and seems games not involving Reds or Tahs are struggling to get that, with reports 20-30,000 is all they pull, it a worry that many so called rugby people are only watching their own team, and not getting into whole Super AU comp.

Not sure where your figures are coming from and they sound off the mark but we can go with them. Your figure suggests, as we all already know the competition is too small to be of that much interest. It also just a conference of a competition that was failing playing games. So outside of the current supporter base it holds little interest. Fortunately in NZ there is less competition in the sports market so rating etc are not as impacted.

If this is not about the Aussie market and Kiwi games rate so well in Europe, why isn't NZRU going it alone? It a far better sales patch and ROI.

This is about the Aussie market and needing investment dollars for teams that they can't find in NZ. The reality is the broadcast dollars have gone; even in europe. Rating right now and in to the foreseeable have a very much diminished relevance as broadcasters do not have the same revenue of the past and that won't return for several years.

Reactions: dru

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
New markets is certainly a lot different to Saviour of the comp though. I not sure many on here will agree with you about holding expansion until 2025, think most will want Force in next year!;):p

I think you are underestimating how many of us are happy for the Force to enter the Kiwi competition to see them play and to open up other opportunities for Aussie Rugby. It also offers the tantalising notion that NZRU will be forced to make the public decision to either deal with Twiggy and burn RA or visa versa when it comes to the long term future TT rugby. Its a win win on this side of the ditch. :D

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

This is false dan, super rugby au games were getting good ratings on sky tvs in the uk, similar to kiwi gamesit was in an article not too long ago I’ll try dig up.

which reports are you referencing here?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is false dan, super rugby au games were getting good ratings on sky tvs in the uk, similar to kiwi gamesit was in an article not too long ago I’ll try dig up.

which reports are you referencing here?

Sorry mate was from a report in one of Aussie newspapers, I will be honest I didn't take all that much interest, and on the Kiwi games in NH, thought that was in here , but buggered if I can remember, I shall look.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sorry mate was from a report in one of Aussie newspapers, I will be honest I didn't take all that much interest, and on the Kiwi games in NH, thought that was in here , but buggered if I can remember, I shall look.

And Super Rugby Au games have been out rating SRA in Aus. There's a whole thread dedicated to ratings.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well according to media week the Reds/Rebel's game had 52000 on August 15th, which I find bloody disappointing, it was qualifying final and was top rugby.
Rugby Fox Sports
Reds v Rebels 52,000
Formula 1 Spanish GP
Fox Sports
Qualifying 88,000
I will see if I see other figures, but that shitted me that Rugby was lower than qualifying for GP and netball etc all were higher . I never really looked at viewing figures before, and it is most concerning.

And this is supposedly Qualifying Final from Saturday that I meant to have at top
Rugby Fox Sports
Reds v Rebels 53,000
Formula 1
Tuscan Grand Prix Fox Sports
Qualifying 73,000
But can't find any NZ games figures from here

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well according to media week the Reds/Rebel's game had 52000 on Saturday, which I find bloody disappointing, it was qualifying final and was top rugby.
Rugby Fox Sports
Reds v Rebels 52,000
Formula 1 Spanish GP
Fox Sports
Qualifying 88,000
I will see if I see other figures, but that shitted me that Rugby Qualifying final was lower than qualifying for GP and netball etc all were higher . I never really looked at viewing figures before, and it is most concerning.

Not great. But still better than SRA.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Of course it should be too, it's an Aus comp, NZ rugby shouldn't be rating here much better percentage wise that Aus rugby does in NZ. If NZ rugby rated at 30,000 for intance does that mean Fox should be paying NZR over 50% of what they pay RA? I not sure why else you are bringing up the comparisons between Super Aotearoa and Super Au

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The TV numbers in the UK are likely larger than the numbers Fox Sports is attracting for both the Super Rugby AU and Super Rugby Aotearoa competitions in Australia.
Figures published by Mediaweek on Sunday said that the Waratahs v Brumbies game last weekend attracted 53,000 viewers in Australia, while the Hurricanes v Blues game drew in 49,000.
Only 4000 difference???
However, even with streaming included, it would appear that UK audiences are at least on par with Australian audiences for Super Rugby at present.

And apparently in NZ Super Aot was rating about 75000, so kind of ruins the argument about markets s etc. It's having more viewers if none watching what you showing, that is not a bigger market, it's a bigger POTENTIAL market if you got the goods they want to see.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
If we had a good commentary /insights the numbers would go up

The TV numbers in the UK are likely larger than the numbers Fox Sports is attracting for both the Super Rugby AU and Super Rugby Aotearoa competitions in Australia.
Figures published by Mediaweek on Sunday said that the Waratahs v Brumbies game last weekend attracted 53,000 viewers in Australia, while the Hurricanes v Blues game drew in 49,000.
Only 4000 difference???
However, even with streaming included, it would appear that UK audiences are at least on par with Australian audiences for Super Rugby at present.

And apparently in NZ Super Aot was rating about 75000, so kind of ruins the argument about markets s etc. It's having more viewers if none watching what you showing, that is not a bigger market, it's a bigger POTENTIAL market if you got the goods they want to see.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well according to media week the Reds/Rebel's game had 52000 on August 15th, which I find bloody disappointing, it was qualifying final and was top rugby.
Rugby Fox Sports
Reds v Rebels 52,000
Formula 1 Spanish GP
Fox Sports
Qualifying 88,000
I will see if I see other figures, but that shitted me that Rugby was lower than qualifying for GP and netball etc all were higher . I never really looked at viewing figures before, and it is most concerning.

And this is supposedly Qualifying Final from Saturday that I meant to have at top
Rugby Fox Sports
Reds v Rebels 53,000
Formula 1
Tuscan Grand Prix Fox Sports
Qualifying 73,000
But can't find any NZ games figures from here
Formula 1 is a terrible 'sport' not worthy of a single viewer.

However, netball is on the up in a big way and i'm not at all surprised to see it surpass many male dominated sports.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
F1 is a boring sport BUT their TV ‘show’ has excellent, high quality production.

Fox’s is like pulling teeth, like listening to a couple grumpy uncles.

Status
Not open for further replies.