• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ok, that perhaps shows difference between you and I Wilson, if I having a problem with someone and don't trust him, I like to be honest enough not to invite him to stay with me, but I live by my standards and perhaps you have different ones to me.

Wasn't the offer to stay from McLennan/Clark prior to Robinson calling them liars?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reading on the roar a version of how trans tasman competition could work.

Have first part pure domestic where 6 teams in each competition play each other home and away. At end of that winner is who is top like what super rugby nz competition had. Then have top 3 of each competition play in trans tasman gold cup and bottom 3 playoff for trans Tasman plate cup.

Ia this practical or desirable...why not just go full TT from beginning. I think I may have answered my own question.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Have first part pure domestic where 6 teams in each competition play each other home and away. At end of that winner is who is top like what super rugby nz competition had. Then have top 3 of each competition play in trans tasman gold cup and bottom 3 playoff for trans Tasman plate cup.

Really like this idea. Less negativity of getting smashed by kiwis each week.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really like this idea. Less negativity of getting smashed by kiwis each week.
I think this is what is the attraction and creates more local derbies, lower travel costs etc. so in reality a conference style competition with playoffs but keeps everyone involved, generating dollars etc and keeping all fans engaged. And as you say allows for oz and nz conference winners to be awarded and then TT gold and plate cup winners.

What I like about this is it means we always have oz conference winner that can win something.

Plus if you think about it you could launch this next year where If covid still a problem you have each of the gold and plate sides go into a bubble to play a knockout style series sevens style ie rankings 1-6

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think this is what is the attraction and creates more local derbies, lower travel costs etc. so in reality a conference style competition with playoffs but keeps everyone involved, generating dollars etc and keeping all fans engaged. And as you say allows for oz and nz conference winners to be awarded and then TT gold and plate cup winners.

What I like about this is it means we always have oz conference winner that can win something.

Plus if you think about it you could launch this next year where If covid still a problem you have each of the gold and plate sides go into a bubble to play a knockout style series sevens style ie rankings 1-6

I'd be keen to see two trophies. Winner and also one similar to the Bunter Bowl/Ranfurly Shield whereby it is up for grabs at every home game for the holder (no other rules).

dru

Tim Horan (67)

selected extracts:

Something tells me it might be time for the movers and shakers at NZR HQ to enrol themselves in a course: Diplomacy for beginners. It would be a good starting point.

>

The first is this leaves New Zealand fully committed to trans-Tasman Super Rugby. That means they had better start regarding the Australians as full partners, and not subservient additions who should count themselves lucky to feed on a few crumbs from the table. Hopefully chairman Brent Impey gets that memo.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the need for enrolling in the course for diplomacy is reflected in their response to RC schedule release within 7 minutes.

Obviously not learnt diplomacy 101 is not to shoot off that knee jerk email but rather draft and review and send it out 24 hours later (and if they did they might have referred to and referenced the SANZAAR minutes on what was agreed and signed off on which they also sit on!)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the need for enrolling in the course for diplomacy is reflected in their response to RC schedule release within 7 minutes.

Obviously not learnt diplomacy 101 is not to shoot off that knee jerk email but rather draft and review and send it out 24 hours later (and if they did they might have referred to and referenced the SANZAAR minutes on what was agreed and signed off on which they also sit on!)

But the All Blacks are the biggest brand in rugby. They can do whatever they like.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Without knowing I assume the 8 respondents with an EOI in SRA would be the 5 existing with Moana Pasifika and Kanaloa Hawaii along with the South China Lions-BOP bid. I have read elsewhere that none of the 5 Australian teams entered a bid so doubt the Force would be included.

RA should sign up the Drua straight away for SRAu next year assuming we can travel, if not base them in Australia for the season.

Other than trying to poach teams that have been playing in Australian competitions I quite like the idea of playing SRA & SRAu separately followed by a Pacific Championship (either just TT or with Japan and SLAR)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Posted this in GRR but appropriate here to.

NZ rugby worried about the quality of Australian sides, think 4-5 is too much.

Than chooses to merger with a comp that the winning side could not win a game against the sides NZ is worried about not having the quality.

NZ rugby is doing a good job and making promises they can't keep and getting on the wrong side of there fans.

1st is was the 2003 RWC, next was the Rugby championship being completely on kiwi soil and than they add some teams from a second teir comp because they offerened the ARU.

But hey, it's NZ. They will blame the ARU for everything like always.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Without knowing I assume the 8 respondents with an EOI in SRA would be the 5 existing with Moana Pasifika and Kanaloa Hawaii along with the South China Lions-BOP bid. I have read elsewhere that none of the 5 Australian teams entered a bid so doubt the Force would be included.

RA should sign up the Drua straight away for SRAu next year assuming we can travel, if not base them in Australia for the season.

Other than trying to poach teams that have been playing in Australian competitions I quite like the idea of playing SRA & SRAu separately followed by a Pacific Championship (either just TT or with Japan and SLAR)

Love Fiji drua to be in our competition but that would require financial backing behind them...if have a consortium prepared to fund them like the Pacifica then absolutely. I think commercially a side based out of Suva is not viable hence the Pacifica proposal for Pi team based out of Auckland

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Love Fiji drua to be in our competition but that would require financial backing behind them.if have a consortium prepared to fund them like the Pacifica then absolutely. I think commercially a side based out of Suva is not viable hence the Pacifica proposal for Pi team based out of Auckland
Could you just imagine the backlash if we ended up with the Fijian team and they ended up with nothing. It’d be hilarious to see the outcry

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Love Fiji drua to be in our competition but that would require financial backing behind them.if have a consortium prepared to fund them like the Pacifica then absolutely. I think commercially a side based out of Suva is not viable hence the Pacifica proposal for Pi team based out of Auckland

If all the Fiji Drua need to be able to do is travel to the east coast they probably won't cost a lot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Could you just imagine the backlash if we ended up with the Fijian team and they ended up with nothing. It’d be hilarious to see the outcry

What I don’t understand is NZRU’s complete lack of accountability for the rapid demise of relationships with key partners due to their inept handing of various events and matters. It continues to be everyone else’s fault.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s also not very well talked about but Australia has a considerably larger Fijian population than NZ.

NZ has large Samoan and Tongan communities but Fijian reach isn’t that significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.