• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It’s also not very well talked about but Australia has a considerably larger Fijian population than NZ.

NZ has large Samoan and Tongan communities but Fijian reach isn’t that significant.
The nz herald report is speculation that Fiji drua could be side who submitted a EOI and to do so would require a well funded backer behind them to bid for a spot.

The nz herald quotes 8 teams submitted bids with 4 progressing - yet elsewhere reported nz stated received 8 bids which included the 5 existing nz franchises

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
So the nation with the No 1 ranked rugby team continues to plot a way forward in a timely manner.
SRAo already has a broadcast deal for 2021 and ran a very successful 2020 comp with some excellent rugby on show.
Within 2 months they hope to have finalised the game plan for 2022.

The nation with the No 6 ranked rugby team has a disfunctional board at the helm of RA, no broadcast deal and has struggled to look beyond stop-gap measures for 2020.
Broadcasters were offered a licorice allsorts bag of competition possibilities to sponsor if there was any interest.
The response seems underwhelming to date.
4 Australian professional franchises can't afford to pay their players their full contracts. Are they even solvent?
There appears to be a mass exodus of players out of Australia in 2021.
It's already October and nobody knows what's happening with the professional game in Oz in 2021 (let alone 2022).

And people keep saying that it's all NZ's fault.
You have to be joking!!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So the nation with the No 1 ranked rugby team continues to plot a way forward in a timely manner.
SRAo already has a broadcast deal for 2021 and ran a very successful 2020 comp with some excellent rugby on show.

The nation with the No 6 ranked rugby team has a disfunctional board at the helm of RA, no broadcast deal and has struggled to look beyond stop-gap measures for 2020.
Broadcasters were offered a licorice allsorts bag of competition possibilities to sponsor if there was any interest.
4 Australian rugby franchises can't afford to pay their players their full contracts. Are they even solvent?
It's already October and nobody knows what's happening with the professional game in Oz in 2021 (let alone 2022).

You have to be joking!!

What in the fuck are you talking about? This has to be bait.

But fuck it, I'll bite. No one is saying the current state of Australian Rugby is NRZU's fault. Not a single one-eyed fuckwit has said that.

We are saying that NZRU have acted like arrogant fools in their negotiations over the last 6 months and have put just about everybody offside with a whole lot of nonsense.

NZRU have a broadcast deal for next year simply by virtue of the fact that they signed their last one a year later than us. It's no administrative masterstroke.

SRAu also ran a succesful comp with some excellent rugby on show and went one better with a finals series.

Within 2 months they will finalise a laughable competition with 3 completely uncompetitive teams - exactly what literally all of NZ don't want. A slam dunk that.

The biggest thing for me is the hypocrisy. We've been hearing for the last 6 months that we can't have 5 teams because we don't have enough talent and have been hearing for a decade that the Force don't cut the mustard and their times are shit. And now they want the fucken China Lions and Force to join their comp?

Yeah we are broke, and you can rub that in if you want. I think RA probably deserve as much after cutting the Force - but the rest of your bullshit post can fuck right off.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Posted this in GRR but appropriate here to.

NZ rugby worried about the quality of Australian sides, think 4-5 is too much.
Dupes are best kept to one thread. I think having a team from Perth playing most away games in NZ is sub-optimal, but that's just me. There's a lot of manoeuvring and posturing happening.

Still, you make some legit points — and some not. I'll pick one para.

Than chooses to merger with a comp that the winning side could not win a game against the sides NZ is worried about not having the quality.
No 2022 competition is confirmed, as stated at the bottom of the piece referred to.

Moreover, past performance is no indicator of future results. If anyone should know that, it's the Rebels — a.k.a. the Eastern Force — going from dead last to playoff contenders in one season with an influx of players.

No malice toward Melbourne (was born there and wish the team well) but it's rich for Rebels support to be talking about the Force not having the quality … when they took all our f***ing roster!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

4 Australian professional franchises can't afford to pay their players their full contracts. Are they even solvent?

You have to be joking!!

A lot of inaccuracies here...

-NZRU don’t have a broadcast agreement for 2021, previous agreements are now null and void given Super Rugby is cancelled.
-NZRU don’t have a solid plan for a tournament in 2021/2022, they’re still scrambling for teams to fill it out as they’ve admitted, that a 5 team kiwi comp isn’t sustainable.
-SRAu didn’t have a final series.
-NZRU long term partners(SARU, RA and SANZAAR) have called them out, and provided evidence of factual inaccuracies in claims they’ve made in the media.
-NZRU lost the hosting rights for the RC
-NZRU tried to dictate terms to its long term partners
-NZRU failed to communicate to SARU that Super Rugby will no longer exist

Shit man, it’s clear why NZRU are copping flack, they acted like wankas

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

You have to be joking!!

You obviously have your own agenda as the crticism of nz is their behaviour playing out in the public domain. Give it a rest about lauding nz and ignoring what the actual criticism of nzru is about here. if you desire the force to become a county of nz go for your life but i doubt the majority of force suporters share your sentiment - only the bitter and twisted ones I feel share your views of desiring to see Australian rugby not recover and become insolvent.

People are well aware of abject failures of RA in the past but in difficult times they are trying to generally fix things over the last 6 months and move forward - including rebuilding relationships with the west under Hamish. Or was twiggy just praising Hamish because he wanted to lie.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dupes are best kept to one thread. I think having a team from Perth playing most away games in NZ is sub-optimal, but that's just me. There's a lot of manoeuvring and posturing happening.

Still, you make some legit points — and some not. I'll pick one para.

No 2022 competition is confirmed, as stated at the bottom of the piece referred to.

Moreover, past performance is no indicator of future results. If anyone should know that it's the Rebels — a.k.a. the Eastern Force — going from dead last to playoff contenders in one season with an influx of players.

No malice toward Melbourne (was born there and wish the team well) but it's rich for Rebels support to be talking about the Force not having the quality … when they took all our f***ing roster!

Force least worried about as investing in grass roots and already recruiting super rugby quality players to fill key gaps such as Robertson, TK and Kearney. I genuinely want to see WA rugby and Force to be strong as to me outside of qld and nsw offer the next level of growth and stop rugby just being a minor sport played on the east coast. WA rugby important part of creating national rugby footprint.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Posted this in GRR but appropriate here to.

NZ rugby worried about the quality of Australian sides, think 4-5 is too much.

Than chooses to merger with a comp that the winning side could not win a game against the sides NZ is worried about not having the quality.

NZ rugby is doing a good job and making promises they can't keep and getting on the wrong side of there fans.

1st is was the 2003 RWC, next was the Rugby championship being completely on kiwi soil and than they add some teams from a second teir comp because they offerened the ARU.

But hey, it's NZ. They will blame the ARU for everything like always.

That is only minor part, NZR at start said (and I heard the the interview) that teams had to be FINANCIALLY viable, you know what Hamish said he was worried about!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Without knowing I assume the 8 respondents with an EOI in SRA would be the 5 existing with Moana Pasifika and Kanaloa Hawaii along with the South China Lions-BOP bid. I have read elsewhere that none of the 5 Australian teams entered a bid so doubt the Force would be included.

RA should sign up the Drua straight away for SRAu next year assuming we can travel, if not base them in Australia for the season.

Other than trying to poach teams that have been playing in Australian competitions I quite like the idea of playing SRA & SRAu separately followed by a Pacific Championship (either just TT or with Japan and SLAR)

Yep but the SARU seems to be gone.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That is only minor part, NZR at start said (and I heard the the interview) that teams had to be FINANCIALLY viable, you know what Hamish said he was worried about!

NZRU also stated that none of the SRAo teama are financially viable without a bigger competition.

So, by what standard are we judging viability?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The nz herald report is speculation that Fiji drua could be side who submitted a EOI and to do so would require a well funded backer behind them to bid for a spot.

The nz herald quotes 8 teams submitted bids with 4 progressing - yet elsewhere reported nz stated received 8 bids which included the 5 existing nz franchises

Oh shit does this mean that once again we should not take so much notice of paper reposts, geez who on this board keeps saying that?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My view after continual damage to key stakeholder relationships after appalling stakeholder management and diplomacy skills is unless mark Robertson can show minutes and evidence December 5 was agreed to - he needs to go - as he is fueling a toxic environment with his very poor and inflammatory public communication. Comes across way out of his depth.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZRU also stated that none of the SRAo teama are financially viable without a bigger competition.

So, by what standard are we judging viability?

Where have thay said that? They believe the comp is not viable in long run, bur please show us where they have said thet no NZ teams are financially viable, and isn't that why they looking at extra teams ie PI etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What in the fuck are you talking about? This has to be bait.

But fuck it, I'll bite. No one is saying the current state of Australian Rugby is NRZU's fault. Not a single one-eyed fuckwit has said that.

We are saying that NZRU have acted like arrogant fools in their negotiations over the last 6 months and have put just about everybody offside with a whole lot of nonsense.

NZRU have a broadcast deal for next year simply by virtue of the fact that they signed their last one a year later than us. It's no administrative masterstroke.

SRAu also ran a succesful comp with some excellent rugby on show and went one better with a finals series.

Within 2 months they will finalise a laughable competition with 3 completely uncompetitive teams - exactly what literally all of NZ don't want. A slam dunk that.

The biggest thing for me is the hypocrisy. We've been hearing for the last 6 months that we can't have 5 teams because we don't have enough talent and have been hearing for a decade that the Force don't cut the mustard and their times are shit. And now they want the fucken China Lions and Force to join their comp?

Yeah we are broke, and you can rub that in if you want. I think RA probably deserve as much after cutting the Force - but the rest of your bullshit post can fuck right off.

That is such a crazy post it is almost beyond belief Derpus, who has told you that NZR want China Lions and Force to join their comp. And please tell us all where you got that info from? I have heard noone even slightly involved in NZR mention either team, I can understand why so many of you are so pissed, you believe almost anything you want that will make NZR look worse than they do themselves
From what I understand the 8 teams with EOIs are the NZ 5 teams, 2 PI teams, and no idea who the other is. I haven't either heard or read NZR saying they wanted anyone in the comp!
And what laughable comp with 3 uncompetitive team? Please tell us.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really like this idea. Less negativity of getting smashed by kiwis each week.

What I also like about this jimmy is creates variety as teams have something to play for beyond winning the conference ie qualifying for gold or plate cup competition and secondly it creates variety to spice things up every year by not having the same teams in gold and plate competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A lot of inaccuracies here.

-NZRU don’t have a broadcast agreement for 2021, previous agreements are now null and void given Super Rugby is cancelled.
-NZRU don’t have a solid plan for a tournament in 2021/2022, they’re still scrambling for teams to fill it out as they’ve admitted, that a 5 team kiwi comp isn’t sustainable.
-SRAu didn’t have a final series.
-NZRU long term partners(SARU, RA and SANZAAR) have called them out, and provided evidence of factual inaccuracies in claims they’ve made in the media.
-NZRU lost the hosting rights for the RC
-NZRU tried to dictate terms to its long term partners
-NZRU failed to communicate to SARU that Super Rugby will no longer exist

Shit man, it’s clear why NZRU are copping flack, they acted like wankas

SRAotearoa didn't need a final series, why would they they had 5 teams played each other twice, why the hell do you need a finals after that? They had an incredible game called a North/South game and needed time to fit that in so they could then go on with the next comp , the ITM cup.
And you right NZRU don't have a solid plan for 2021 or 2022 as the a pandemic happening that is stopping both NZR and RA from putting finalised plans in place. Or have I missed RA's comps they got locked in?
Yes NZR do have a TV deal in place for 2021, I not sure who told you all agreements are null and void, NZR have a deal with Sky etc for rugby played in NZ etc , it doesn't actually have to be super rugby, anymore than RA's has to be super. Who told you that?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That is such a crazy post it is almost beyond belief Derpus, who has told you that NZR want China Lions and Force to join their comp. And please tell us all where you got that info from? I have heard noone even slightly involved in NZR mention either team, I can understand why so many of you are so pissed, you believe almost anything you want that will make NZR look worse than they do themselves
From what I understand the 8 teams with EOIs are the NZ 5 teams, 2 PI teams, and no idea who the other is. I haven't either heard or read NZR saying they wanted anyone in the comp!
And what laughable comp with 3 uncompetitive team? Please tell us.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12369614

Yes yes i get it, it's only the media. Whatever. The idea that they could get even a single Pacifika team to be competitive is a complete pipe-dream. Two?

And the other alternatives appear to be as i mentioned. What a brillo comp you guys have lined up.

Where have thay said that? They believe the comp is not viable in long run, bur please show us where they have said thet no NZ teams are financially viable, and isn't that why they looking at extra teams ie PI etc.

Sorry, sorry. All five teams combined are financially unviable. But you are right, a Pacifika team will solve all your future financial woes.

What a crock of shit.

I know you try to take a reasonable line through most things Dan, but NZR have been acting like such muppets that even your own media are going after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.