• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You do know that Sky TV, (partly owned by NZR) has already agreed to Super Aotearoa in broadcast for next year? They had no deal with SANZAAR, all SANZAAR partners make their own agreements with TV in respective countries. that was changed a few years back when SA tied all their rights to Currie cup etc, NZR's deal is for all domestic rugby etc, as was Australia's.

It’s irrelevant as to whether NZRU directly negotiated the sale of super rugby to Sky, the point is they sold them the rights to a product they can no longer deliver, the contract is now null.

NZRU said just yesterday that the 5 tournament comp for 2021 is subject to negotiations with the broadcasters....I.e. they still need to negotiate a deal.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't believe how short-sighted the decision to continue Aotearoa and AU comps next is. The success of this year's comps will not be repeated. It was pushed far too early. A travel bubble will be in place soon.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can't believe how short-sighted the decision to continue Aotearoa and AU comps next is. The success of this year's comps will not be repeated. It was pushed far too early. A travel bubble will be in place soon.

I think that both unions had no choice but to forge forward with what they could definitely produce. the logistics and the tv rights would be stressed if they didn't.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Why do the NZRU have to be such cockheads.
Make it simple, Super Rugby Au and Aotearoa for next year while we are still dealing with the complications of Covid. Then the following year, all 5 NZ teams/ all 5 Aus teams and 2 wild card teams (Pacific Islander/ Japanese). If all goes well over the next few months, then hopefully we can fast track the competition and start for next year. This has got to be the most beneficial competition structure for both countries moving forward without the Saffas.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I kind of agree with this qwerty, though can see other side too and teams need certainty to plan for next years comp. Neither comp is big enough to stand alone too long.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why do the NZRU have to be such cockheads.
Make it simple, Super Rugby Au and Aotearoa for next year while we are still dealing with the complications of Covid. Then the following year, all 5 NZ teams/ all 5 Aus teams and 2 wild card teams (Pacific Islander/ Japanese). If all goes well over the next few months, then hopefully we can fast track the competition and start for next year. This has got to be the most beneficial competition structure for both countries moving forward without the Saffas.

Well I think you will find that is what is wanted by both unions and both have said it, but there are a couple of major reasons why it can't be put in place now. 1; RA don't know how many teams they can afford to run (or so Hamish McLennan says), 2; and most importantly I think NZR has learnt not to say there will be a comp involving Aus teams, because of what happened earlier, you know everyone saying how dare they come up with a comp without RA being involved. So tell me why don't you think RA are being cockheads for announcing the same thing. I believe it is what will happen, will be best for both countries, but at the moment nothing can really be announced because noone knows how many teams etc RA are wanting to put forward , or if they in fact what comp they want to be in.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s irrelevant as to whether NZRU directly negotiated the sale of super rugby to Sky, the point is they sold them the rights to a product they can no longer deliver, the contract is now null.

NZRU said just yesterday that the 5 tournament comp for 2021 is subject to negotiations with the broadcasters..I.e. they still need to negotiate a deal.

No , NZR has a contract with Sky TV to broadcast their games whatever the games are , they can't sell Super games they don't own them.Where did you get info of different, they can't have a comp and sell it to anyone else because they have a contract with Sky, why do you find that so hard to understand. It is what is called a TV deal, RA would I assume of had the same, or did I not just see Super Au broadcast on Fox this year, and that was not Super rugby run by SANZAAR.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fox has finally deigned to put forward a bid. Probably for 25% of what it was but that should really be the first domino in RA settling on how things will look.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But surely, that only puts Hamish in a more positive light: reaching out and being hospitable to someone they thought could have shown a bit more respect?

Or alternately in the light as someone who say one thing to your face and another on tv?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No , NZR has a contract with Sky TV to broadcast their games whatever the games are , they can't sell Super games they don't own them.Where did you get info of different, they can't have a comp and sell it to anyone else because they have a contract with Sky, why do you find that so hard to understand. It is what is called a TV deal, RA would I assume of had the same, or did I not just see Super Au broadcast on Fox this year, and that was not Super rugby run by SANZAAR.

The broadcast deal was renegotiated as it couldn't be delivered as agreed.

The contract is obviously not void outright. There are a variety of options available to both parties, renegotiation being the most likely. But i'd be surprised if the broadcast deal was as broad as 'we'll broadcast whatever rugby happens for x money'. It would almost certainly have been quantified.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

No mate, your own chairman said the 2021 tournament was subject to negotiations with the broadcasters.

Yes Sky held the rights under the previous tournament design, so they will get first rights for refusal.
However, Sky do not have to pay what they previously agreed, NZRU cannot deliver what they previously promised so have instead developed something they hope will be of similar value and taken this to the Broadcasters. Now it’s now up to Sky too assess the reduction in value, agree to the amendments contingent on a new fee, or decline altogether.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No mate, your own chairman said the 2021 tournament was subject to negotiations with the broadcasters.

Yes Sky held the rights under the previous tournament design, so they will get first rights for refusal.
However, Sky do not have to pay what they previously agreed, NZRU cannot deliver what they previously promised so have instead developed something they hope will be of similar value and taken this to the Broadcasters. Now it’s now up to Sky too assess the reduction in value, agree to the amendments contingent on a new fee, or decline altogether.

Ok mate, if you think NZR has no tv deal, well good on you. All tournaments etc are subject to negotiations with broadcasters, but is totally different to not having TV deal. No need for discussion, you think NZR has no tv deal, and I know they have so no probs. So you telling me RA is not negotiating tv deals because they have no locked in comp? I can guarantee they are!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok mate, if you think NZR has no tv deal, well good on you. All tournaments etc are subject to negotiations with broadcasters, but is totally different to not having TV deal. No need for discussion, you think NZR has no tv deal, and I know they have so no probs. So you telling me RA is not negotiating tv deals because they have no locked in comp? I can guarantee they are!

No, Clearly RA is negotiating a tv deal

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(-NZRU don’t have a broadcast agreement for 2021, previous agreements are now null and void given Super Rugby is cancelled.)

That is from your post, it actually doesn't say NZR don't have an agreement for Super Rugby Aotearoa, it actually says they don't have an agreement, all I saying they have an agreement and all are not null and void, only tweaked as was RA because of pandemic.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Mate I don't believe there is a team being considered for BOP, does anyone really think Twiggy is going to do that? I agree NZR handled things badly, but you know before they actually came up with the comp they wanted set up and run (by an outside board) there was none on the table from anyone. Oh and Aus only had 4 teams when that report was written. And most of the things I read in here and papers is not in anyway what I heard Robinson say in first release, I nave heard anyone from NZR say Aus should only have 2 teams etc, only that they PREFERRED a 8-10 comp with a PI team, and they thought every team should be financially viable and add something to the comp!

Dan, there were none on the table as all partners still had contractual obligations to SAANZAR. I think there was a way this could have been approached with a lot more finesse. I have no doubt that RA and RSA had their own thoughts about the possible makeup of things but the difference was not airing them through the media, opening up tenders for your own comp with possibly new teams whilst your partners were in the middle of a COVID pandemic. This wasn't leadership, it was just poor form.

I think once you have to walk the tightrope of semantics you've lost the communication battle. The inference of NZ's preference and the implications for RA and RSA was pretty clear as was the method of taking ownership of the process rather than working in any kind of partnership and then further approaching franchises directly.

I mean NZR want what they want, fair enough, but it's pretty clear that they are approaching the whole situation with a lack of grace and poor media management. If leaks of minutes and such are to be believed they are even starting to look disingenuous as well which is disappointing.

As for BOP, who knows, only going on what's being reported. Even a second Auckland team doesn't even make sense to me.

As I said Dan, love me some NZ Rugger’s, but this whole affair is just sad.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, kiwi fans shouldn’t take the frustrations being directed at NZRU personally. I suspect it’s only a few key individuals in the organisations who have inflamed the whole situation. NZRU have been horrifically woeful at communicating through this whole ordeal, even their own media has turned on them which is a rare occurrence

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
(-NZRU don’t have a broadcast agreement for 2021, previous agreements are now null and void given Super Rugby is cancelled.)

That is from your post, it actually doesn't say NZR don't have an agreement for Super Rugby Aotearoa, it actually says they don't have an agreement, all I saying they have an agreement and all are not null and void, only tweaked as was RA because of pandemic.

I agree. NZR will have some kind of agreement, the nature of it will obviously have changed as the quantity and nature of content has, including Sky having to fund all game day cost vs. games played in other countries. If Sky really wanted out they potentially could, but the reality is that they hitched their cart to the NZR horse when they offered a 5% stake in Sky NZ so there is a pretty strong partnership there, plus they are trying to fend off the likes of TVNZ and Spark so they need content. Why they tied up the Netball and Rugby after Spark got the Cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.