• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Not without tearing every players contract up and starting from scratch, you also risk of sponsors triggering release clauses since their exposures may now be in different markets as well.

I think if they want to play matches in Australia they would also need approval from RA.

Also, I'm pretty sure World Rugby wouldn't sanction the competition without RA giving them the go-ahead.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NZRU blasted by the New Zealand Rugby Players’ Association boss Rob Nichol.

“From our perspective we were affronted yesterday. New Zealand Rugby has a contractual obligation to us to agree any competitions and all related financial arrangements. We haven’t agreed what’s come out in the last 24 hours so we’re sitting there going ‘where’s that respect gone’,” Nichol told the NZ Herald. “As far as we are concerned that conversation is still live.

“There’s a big difference between a blunt and rather ill-conceived statement that came out of the New Zealand board yesterday – there’s another option where you work with people and they accept it because they are a part of it and they respect you for making that effort.

“Rather than the Pasifika community feeling let down, frustrated, disappointed and relationships strained to say the very least you actually end up with them standing alongside you.”

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Chairman of the Hawaii bid also lashed the NZRU tournament bidding process:

“We’ve got a facility and stadiums, it’s just a matter of getting the big tick to go ahead,” Atiga told Newshub.

“What we need is something in writing that says a five-year licence, so our investor groups and our sponsors can say ‘great, we’re on board’.

“The bidding process was difficult because we only had an eight-day turnaround to put together a bid.”

Atiga also laid into NZR’s poor communication during the process, saying: “During the eight weeks we’ve been negotiating back and forth, I don’t think there’s been much transparency around which group progressed and which group hasn’t.

“From what we know we’ve all progressed, and that’s a bit of a strange one for a tender bid … It’s been shady and secretive between us and them.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...e/news-story/d9f3074e92f326b4f5cfcc97e169301d

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Incredibly, NZRU Chairman believes the current situation has arisen because NZRU have being too transparent!

“We have continued in dialogue with Rugby Australia. I have read comments that said we should have done more. In hindsight I could say perhaps we shouldn’t have been as open about Aratipu as we were. We decided to be [open] because there was interest in what we were doing. Yeah, you pay the price for putting stuff out there, I guess.”

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...pasifika-expansion-snub-theyre-just-not-ready

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not without tearing every players contract up and starting from scratch, you also risk of sponsors triggering release clauses since their exposures may now be in different markets as well.

I pretty sure liquor box meant leave as Reds or NSW players to go as a RA team, not individuals or even individual team because as you say just couldn't happen.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

“We’ve got a facility and stadiums, it’s just a matter of getting the big tick to go ahead,” Atiga told Newshub.

“What we need is something in writing that says a five-year licence, so our investor groups and our sponsors can say ‘great, we’re on board’.

“The bidding process was difficult because we only had an eight-day turnaround to put together a bid.”

Atiga also laid into NZR’s poor communication during the process, saying: “During the eight weeks we’ve been negotiating back and forth, I don’t think there’s been much transparency around which group progressed and which group hasn’t.

“From what we know we’ve all progressed, and that’s a bit of a strange one for a tender bid … It’s been shady and secretive between us and them.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...e/news-story/d9f3074e92f326b4f5cfcc97e169301d

Funnily enough this the PI team that worries me the most, their MLR fell apart I think, maybe they not quite in a position to have a go in a stronger comp.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The
Incredibly, NZRU Chairman believes the current situation has arisen because NZRU have being too transparent!

“We have continued in dialogue with Rugby Australia. I have read comments that said we should have done more. In hindsight I could say perhaps we shouldn’t have been as open about Aratipu as we were. We decided to be [open] because there was interest in what we were doing. Yeah, you pay the price for putting stuff out there, I guess.”

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...pasifika-expansion-snub-theyre-just-not-ready

The Chairman like the CEO of NZRU continue to behave incredibly arrogantly and completely out of touch with how improper, ludicrous and disrespectful their behaviour and actions have been towards what should be viewed as one of their key regional partners.

Both of them need to be on their way out (don’t let the door hit you on the way out) and should read Rob Nichols interview again and again to hopefully get a reality check on their appalling behaviour and way they have gone about things to understand why they were removed. They are clearly not fit to hold the positions they hold. They are an absolute disgrace to the history of NZ and Australian rugby relations and indeed NZ rugby and sooner they are removed the quicker we can move forward together with NZ as both need each other but meglomania and egos of senior NZRU’s officials is stopping us moving forward.

By the way my kiwi mates are equally embarrassed by Impey and more so Robertson. I like kiwis but don’t like or respect NZRU at this point.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, kiwi fans shouldn’t take the frustrations being directed at NZRU personally. I suspect it’s only a few key individuals in the organisations who have inflamed the whole situation. NZRU have been horrifically woeful at communicating through this whole ordeal, even their own media has turned on them which is a rare occurrence

And I do realise that Adam, same as you lot think I blindly support them , I know they have made a hash, but they have cocked enough up without being blamed for stupid shit that they haven't done. As I said I spent a bit in a bar defending RA board from a couple of leaguies who only read what they want to read.
See I spent a lot of time in Rugby admin both here and NZ and know I didn't get plenty of things smack on, but why I gave up in the end? Uninformed pricks who had all this criticism by people who heard or read in papers things that were not what happened or half the info, in the end after doing here for a few years after the same in NZ, I just said let all the experts do it. None did, but..............

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Or alternately in the light as someone who say one thing to your face and another on tv?

But didn't he make public comments about the way NZR did that from the very start? Everyone knew how RA felt, and then he reached out.

I know deep down, you don't really interpret it in an ungracious way. I don't think you're really like that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But didn't he make public comments about the way NZR did that from the very start? Everyone knew how RA felt, and then he reached out.

I know deep down, you don't really interpret it in an ungracious way. I don't think you're really like that.

Was taking the piss, but...........;)

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)

I heard RA are looking for a 6th team for 2021. Stealing one of the proposed expansion sides, that would be the ultimate middle finger to NZ

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hey I been reading some interesting stuff in this whole Super rugby thing. Everyone was pissed at NZR going directly to the States with EOIs? Apparently they were sent to ARU, kind of locks in with Rob Clarke saying he tore them up as I had wondered how he did that if they didn't go to him. Interesting isn't it? You know what I keep saying that NZR have stuffed up badly but.....
See pays to have a chairman of RA with Public Relations background you make sure you feed the press what you want, and know how to do it. Same as these minutes from SANZAAR meeting that got 'leaked' to a couple of papers? And perhaps interesting that papers haven't printed them, just said they seen them.
And why I think it so well done by Hamish, I mean there so much hate for NZR (and seemingly with assistance fron NZR) noone has noticed as yet RA haven't locked in a comp for next year, don't appear to have a finacial plan, or saying anything about it, but noone asking as just every now and then just 'leak' something else to papers to get the keyboard warriors hating NR rugby more and not asking any questions, like what are our plans for next year, where are we on new CEO, how many teams can we afford to have going forward (a little worrying after Hamish's comments on TV), where are we on getting a TV partner. I believe the sponsor thing will get fixed as it early days, but others are starting to drag a bit.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am coming to the conclusion on the debate between whether to go it alone vs trans Taman is we have a compromise which is conference system and where both NZRU and RA work together to agree conference teams.

Ie we have say a 6 team oz conference with say a japan or Fiji team included vs 6 team nz conference. Each conference has their own series like this year, but then have cross over series with other conference as previously discussed for plate and gold cup competition.

At this point I like it as enables us to have own conference focus and conference winners,
Plus the potential to go next step either way which is expanding conference to go it alone or go full integrated trans tasman competition from get go.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am coming to the conclusion on the debate between whether to go it alone vs trans Taman is we have a compromise which is conference system asn where both NZRU and RA work together to agree conference teams.

Ie we have say a 6 team oz conference with say a japan or Fiji team included vs 6 team nz conference. Each conference has their own series like this year, but then have cross over series with other conference as previously discussed for plate and gold cup competition.

At this point I like it as enables us to have own conference focus and conference winners,
Plus the potential to go next step either way which is expanding conference to go it alone or go full integrated trans tasman competition from get go.

I have to say RN, I also have come to conclusion it best way to go. That way either can expand etc up to point and still just have play offs as you say, a top 3 or whatever against top 3 and bottom 3 etc, will keep everyone happiest in my opinion and keep interest in both comps for everyone. I actually reckon that is where it will end up, and mark Robinson indicated as much on Breakdown a week or so back. Really does give us all best of both worlds as much as we can, and other steps can be taken in future, ie another conference etc, mixed comp whatever.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To have a chance of effective collaboration to design a suitable competition I would love to see someone like Rob Nichols involved as he brilliantly articulated the problems with the current NZRU approach and mindset and what was required in terms of reaching a more optimal solution based on a more collaborative approach and healthier mindset.

I have zero confidence in something good being agreed if left with Impey and Robinson leading the charge from NZRU perspective. Would like to see Rob Nichols brought into the mix which as he outlined has been another failure of NZRU to date given not consulted him effectively and in view of role he holds.

I hope Rob Nichols call outs are taken seriously by NZRU as this called out massive red flags and governance issue from the head of their own players association.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Hey I been reading some interesting stuff in this whole Super rugby thing. Everyone was pissed at NZR going directly to the States with EOIs? Apparently they were sent to ARU, kind of locks in with Rob Clarke saying he tore them up as I had wondered how he did that if they didn't go to him. Interesting isn't it? You know what I keep saying that NZR have stuffed up badly but...
See pays to have a chairman of RA with Public Relations background you make sure you feed the press what you want, and know how to do it. Same as these minutes from SANZAAR meeting that got 'leaked' to a couple of papers? And perhaps interesting that papers haven't printed them, just said they seen them.
And why I think it so well done by Hamish, I mean there so much hate for NZR (and seemingly with assistance fron NZR) noone has noticed as yet RA haven't locked in a comp for next year, don't appear to have a finacial plan, or saying anything about it, but noone asking as just every now and then just 'leak' something else to papers to get the keyboard warriors hating NR rugby more and not asking any questions, like what are our plans for next year, where are we on new CEO, how many teams can we afford to have going forward (a little worrying after Hamish's comments on TV), where are we on getting a TV partner. I believe the sponsor thing will get fixed as it early days, but others are starting to drag a bit.

I agree, Robertson and NZR have really been lacking in media relations. I'm not even clear on what Roberston achieved when he was the NZ WorldRugby delegate that made him the man for the job? and wasn't Impey the a CEO at Canwest when that went into Junk status and a couple years later was sold for scraps?

Something you need to keep in mind however is, 'if' the narrative is as you are presenting it, RA master media manipulators, then you have to remember that RA is looking for a longterm partnership with NZR and are in a weak position as you outlined. Why then would you go out of your way to execute actions that would inflame your relationship and possible partnership? There really is so little to gain for RA in that scenario (what some short term media distraction from their own woes?) and tactically it makes no sense.

As for NZR approaching the franchises directly about the new comp, that did happen. Maybe the final paper work was sent to RA HQ, but some of the franchise were contacted directly by NZR about the new comp outside RA channels.

At the end of the day, there are enough undisputed facts and actions that make NZR not look good and paint a pretty clear picture of how they wish things to be. Problem with NZR as I see it is that they want it both ways, to keep their good guy appearance whilst calling the shots.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree, Robertson and NZR have really been lacking in media relations. I'm not even clear on what Roberston achieved when he was the NZ WorldRugby delegate that made him the man for the job? and wasn't Impey the a CEO at Canwest when that went into Junk status and a couple years later was sold for scraps?

Something you need to keep in mind however is, 'if' the narrative is as you are presenting it, RA master media manipulators, then you have to remember that RA is looking for a longterm partnership with NZR and are in a weak position as you outlined. Why then would you go out of your way to execute actions that would inflame your relationship and possible partnership? There really is so little to gain for RA in that scenario (what some short term media distraction from their own woes?) and tactically it makes no sense. )
I not arguing that NZR have stuffed up and have said repeatedly I think or am convinced that Hamish has done a great job, it not a criticsm of him, I wish NZR had someone who can use the media as well. He is a public relations man, he does it well. Noone has noticed he has done nothing much else, he hasn't had time, but as we have seen people are quick to jump on inactivity. And I bet I was first on this board to say how much I liked the look of him when he was on NZ breakdown at beginning of year. The best thing any real good public relations person does it keep people busy looking at everything but what you are doing until you have something positive!

Status
Not open for further replies.