• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
There is a couple of flat earthers on this thread.

I’m getting more of a Monty Python Black Knight vibe.
E2BD282C-6C93-4D3F-8761-A5B193BB5C61.gif

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Someone on reddit suggested using something similar to the M10 Cup structure with two divisions. Which I don't mind. Though I'd like to see something akin to what was used several seasons back in the Shute Shield. Where everyone played each other once for 11 games before splitting into two groups of 6 to play another 5 games with each tier having their own finals series. This would give everyone a minimum of 16 games and I think would appeal to NZ Rugby as it would give them something they're somewhat familiar with and the opportunity for their much vaunted hard test for the ABs assuming their team make the top tier.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Though I'd like to see something akin to what was used several seasons back in the Shute Shield. Where everyone played each other once for 11 games before splitting into two groups of 6 to play another 5 games with each tier having their own finals series.

It's what's been in place for the Perth Premier grade for the past 3 seasons.
I think it works well.........

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...a/news-story/a9e105f5a49727b0dc45cb6c138251e8

Lol if RA was NZRU they do doubt would be going behind NZRU and negotiating with Pacifika to be based in Western Sydney and in Super Rugby Au - but even RA have base level ethics and integrity so that won’t happen.

Ps my comments will make sense in first reading the article posted above

Surely, RA have been looking to get a PI team for 2021 anyway. They were doing everything they could before Super Rugby AU 2020 to get a sixth team. I'm surprised they haven't reached out to the Pacifika team already.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...a/news-story/a9e105f5a49727b0dc45cb6c138251e8

Lol if RA was NZRU they do doubt would be going behind NZRU and negotiating with Pacifika to be based in Western Sydney and in Super Rugby Au - but even RA have base level ethics and integrity so that won’t happen.

Ps my comments will make sense in first reading the article posted above

Think you may want to read what the proposal was from Moana Pasifika team, they wanted to do it in partnership with NZR for 2021, not real convinced RA would be anymore keen, could be quite costly. I seriously doubt it anything to do with ethics, they not sure they cam afford 5 teams and you think they should consider 6 just to piss off NZR? Geez I glad you don't run rugby here in Aus:p

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Think you may want to read what the proposal was from Moana Pasifika team, they wanted to do it in partnership with NZR for 2021, not real convinced RA would be anymore keen, could be quite costly. I seriously doubt it anything to do with ethics, they not sure they cam afford 5 teams and you think they should consider 6 just to piss off NZR? Geez I glad you don't run rugby here in Aus:p

Dan you missed the whole tongue in cheek and point is even if RA was interested in Pacifika they would not do it to damage Kiwi relationship. It was a stir the pot comment and I am fully aware of them wanting to do it in NZ for 2021 and well aware it was throw away line in the article by Pacifika.

My point was if NZ was on the other foot and they thought it was commercially viable but would damage Oz relationships I don't think they would care and go for it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Article below interesting - western Sydney did make sense but thought that horse had bolted with plans so advanced on Auckland based option. Still reckon this is all fluff to put pressure on NZRU with western Sydney out of the picture

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...ogant-nz-rugby-set-up-super-side-in-australia

So from recollection they want funding in the first year but claim they will be above board thereafter? Has this been validated and where will the funds come from. What if they don’t break even?

What about Drua?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So from recollection they want funding in the first year but claim they will be above board thereafter? Has this been validated and where will the funds come from. What if they don’t break even?

What about Drua?

No the people talking in this article are actually not part of any bid, one is player's rep as RN says it just a bit of push to see if they can get in next year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Article below interesting - western Sydney did make sense but thought that horse had bolted with plans so advanced on Auckland based option. Still reckon this is all fluff to put pressure on NZRU with western Sydney out of the picture

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...ogant-nz-rugby-set-up-super-side-in-australia

This should have been set up years ago when IRB/WR (World Rugby) were throwing cash around to try to support PI rugby, instead of now when everyone is in deep financial pain.

There's are reason why the leaguies play Samoa v Tonga test matches in Campbelltown.;)

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I like the Drua idea however I think we need to ask what’s the aim of a pacific team? If it’s just to get another team up and running then it is the ideal choice

If it’s to engage new markets and truly grow the pacific, i don’t think it’s the answer

From my experience Fijians (even in Australia) are the most engaged of the Islander countries in rugby union. They even embrace Aussie super teams and the wallabies a hell of a lot more than the Tongans or Samoans do. The Tongans and Samoans are more likely to follow league or go for the All Blacks, despite never living there. I see this as a potential opportunity to convert the wave of Polynesian league followers in western Sydney to union

But again I wouldn’t be mad about the Drua and it makes more sense from a business standpoint to engage them

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
"Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan said on Monday he was prepared to host all five New Zealand franchises in Australia in 2021 and run a trans-Tasman competition entirely from these shores.
McLennan said last week that Australia’s relationship with NZ Rugby was at “its lowest ebb” – a description which NZR perversely took exception to – but there is no question that while the national body is reluctant to rubberstamp it, the five NZ franchises are desperately keen for a full trans-Tasman competition to go ahead next year."

As a consequence of NZ’s stubbornness, Australia is also preparing to hold a repeat of this year’s domestic competition, though with the possibility of an islander side joining as well, McLennan said. But he admitted he was entirely at a loss to understand why NZ and Australia weren’t coming together for a full-scale trans-Tasman competition next season.
At present, the Covid border restrictions are making that impossible but with NZ going to a general election on October 17 and Queensland facing a state election on October 31, the hope is that travel between Australia and NZ could return to something resembling normal before Christmas. In that event, a trans-Tasman rugby competition involving five NZ and five Australian sides would be possible from early next year.
NZ apparently does not believe such a competition can be arranged in such a short period. Australia believes otherwise.
“As an alternative, we are happy to run trans-Tasman entirely from here next year,” McLennan told The Australian.
For the moment, he is turning his attention to the islanders who were rejected by NZR.
“I’d definitely like to do something with a team from the islands but we have had no formal dialogue with the Pasifika team because we presumed they were going to do something with NZ.
“We definitely see all the rugby-playing nations as equal partners so we will see if we can do something. But once again I don’t know why we aren’t looking for a trans-Tasman competition starting next year given that Covid management is becoming more sophisticated and better managed than ever before and travel bubbles are being created.”
NZ Rugby chairman Brent Impey stunned the Pasifika rugby community by rejecting an islander team for next year’s Super Rugby Aotearoa, expressing concerns an islander team could be smashed by the NZ sides.
It’s difficult to say precisely how a Pasifika team would perform but on the two occasions when such a side was assembled, they gave both the Wallabies (29-14) and the All Blacks (41-26) brutal Test matches on successive weekends in July 2004.
Pacific Rugby Players CEO Aayden Clarke was deeply critical of the NZR and urged the islands to turn away from Auckland and look at establishing a team in western Sydney instead.
“Australia have had a far more open-door policy and a willingness with Pacific Island teams over the past few years compared to NZ Rugby,” Clarke told Stuff NZ. “We’ve had the Fijian Drua play in the NRC (the now-defunct National Rugby Championship), we’ve had various options where Australia have been a little but more kind and, without wanting to say it, a little but less arrogant about it.”
Certainly an islander team based in the western suburbs dovetails with McLennan’s long-held views.

Jpi9CvA.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I must admit reading Hamish's interview it was almost like back in the mush pit with NZRU.

Clearly RA not had much street cred up till 6 months ago to play in the mush pit with NZRU - but be first to admit recent months have changed that - by doing right things RA wise - and NZRU doing wrong things - and really wrong things stakeholder relationship wise. To be frank given all the NZRU arrogant BS I don't mind Hamish putting this out - but clearly will stir NZRU who think we are not worthy to bow before them.

It was almost a FU NZRU which NZRU would no doubt find all amusing. Pity we don't have twiggy on side as could actually wipe the smirk of NZRU by being behind RA (funding and support wise) and especially given NZRU who are without doubt how they have behaved over last 6 months made themselves look like arrogant arseholes and deserve to knocked down a notch or two. Seriously some of the stuff they have done and comments in the media beggars belief - especially from Impey and Robertson on the latter.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We definitely see all the rugby-playing nations as equal partners so we will see if we can do something. But once again I don’t know why we aren’t looking for a trans-Tasman competition starting next year given that Covid management is becoming more sophisticated and better managed than ever before and travel bubbles are being created.”

---------------

yep all is happy between RA and NZRU....but to be fair - Hamish's comment is fair and reasonable from an oz perspective. I kinda like - no actually love - we have a Chairman prepared to stick it to NZRU.

This is going to be best seat in the house to watch Hamish vs NZRU and got the popcorn ready. Hey we may not win the rugby but sure as heck will enjoy Hamish give NZRU some stick.

ps the RA article - and about why not agreed bubbles etc - I read NZRU and RA are poles apart due to NZRU wanting to control Super Rugby and more and more believe Rob Nichols interview and comments are 100% accurate about how NZRU are behaving - and lets face it - he is more likely to be closer then anyone on what is accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.