• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is it just me but the quality of rugby in super rugby au definitely appears to be on the up cf last season while quality of production and commentary also at higher level with Stan sports crew

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is it just me but the quality of rugby in super rugby au definitely appears to be on the up cf last season while quality of production and commentary also at higher level with Stan sports crew

Waratahs aside. quality of rugby has definitely improved, especially compared to the first few rounds of Super Rugby AU in 2020.

And production and commentary quality is so much better under Stan, they take the time to explain the laws, rules and nuiances of the game. It’s not just 40 year old men exchanging stories and opinions.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Waratahs aside. quality of rugby has definitely improved, especially compared to the first few rounds of Super Rugby AU in 2020.

And production and commentary quality is so much better under Stan, they take the time to explain the laws, rules and nuiances of the game. It’s not just 40 year old men exchanging stories and opinions.
Last nights game was great, think both the Rebels and Force have underperformed a bit. By that I mean I think the Rebels will get better as they get back closer to full strength and I think the Force will keep improving as they play more together and gel as a group

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...vamp-has-been-just-super-20210314-p57alp.html

Maybe he has a point add one more team to each country, and you have a very workable model to build on.
Completely agree - add Fiji to us (and not nz competition pls) and we have very workable model indeed where get best of both worlds ie domestic competition plus trans Tasman. In time let both nz and oz build up to 8 teams each (for us add say western Sydney and maybe Asia team) and this become model for growth with 8 teams good model for domestic competing and 16 team for trans Tasman to generate enough tailored and varied content across the season.

The key to this is ensuring strong domestic teams and hence RA stepping in and providing additional coaching support to tahs example of this as would be encouraging distribution of players across different clubs another. I like where we are heading if could work to this domestic plus trans Tasman model as gives us best of both worlds and derisks the situation by having foot in both camps/ models.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Completely agree - add Fiji to us (and not nz competition pls) and we have very workable model indeed where get best of both worlds ie domestic competition plus trans Tasman. In time let both nz and oz build up to 8 teams each (for us add say western Sydney and maybe Asia team) and this become model for growth with 8 teams good model for domestic competing and 16 team for trans Tasman to generate enough tailored and varied content across the season.

The key to this is ensuring strong domestic teams and hence RA stepping in and providing additional coaching support to tahs example of this as would be encouraging distribution of players across different clubs another. I like where we are heading if could work to this domestic plus trans Tasman model as gives us best of both worlds and derisks the situation by having foot in both camps/ models.
Additional support to the Tahs, they are already kissed on the dick.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yes I use to skip through half time commentary etc but quality of analysis of plays and insights this reveals about way player strategy making me really see things never would have appreciated before and hence listening in more and more to this sort of analysis which commentators like cheika give great insight on.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
No way, 8 games two games a week realistic it’s no good at all. Hopefully common sense prevails and we can go to an 12 team 22 week season next year

Do you mean the common sense that provided us with Super Rugby for 20 years that left the game here teetering on the brink.

TT is an option, but is it in the best long term interests of rugby in this country, we just had 20 years of ignoring our own domestic market with promises of global domination.

Do you ignore having a game in your biggest market every weekend in NSW, because the other codes sure haven't. Maybe that has something to do with there current dilemma.

And what happens to the rebels with weekly beatings by NZ teams will that get you market share, because your team is never going to be any more competitive, because without a domestic presence your grassroots will never be able to flourish enough to provide you with the players to be competitive.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do you mean the common sense that provided us with Super Rugby for 20 years that left the game here teetering on the brink.

TT is an option, but is it in the best long term interests of rugby in this country, we just had 20 years of ignoring our own domestic market with promises of global domination.

Do you ignore having a game in your biggest market every weekend in NSW, because the other codes sure haven't. Maybe that has something to do with there current dilemma.

And what happens to the rebels with weekly beatings by NZ teams will that get you market share, because your team is never going to be any more competitive, because without a domestic presence your grassroots will never be able to flourish enough to provide you with the players to be competitive.

A Trans Tasman comp is completely different to being invisible in South Africa for a month

Investing in development and playing in a trans Tasman comp is not mutually exclusive

The reds and brumbies were both sides on the rise and they showed that last year before the suspension of super rugby. They haven’t suddenly improved because we only play Australian sides

The Rebels will have to learn to win, there is no reason they will always lose to NZ sides that’s nothing more than you having an inferiority complex

Playing 4 other sides repeatedly with 3 of 5 sides making the finals is pathetic. I get it was forced on us out of necessity

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
TT maybe an option and possibly the best way forward, but surely the possibility of each country committing to a 6 team domestic option is worth a look at. This gives you a genuine domestic competition of 3 months length in each country, 6 games each week for your Media presence.

At the end of each domestic comp you can explore all sorts of champion league style comps involving all teams, potentially add Japan to that, maybe a SA team, an (Asian selection).

The point is what would be the best option or outcome for Australian rugby in ten years time, IMHO the domestic option followed by crossover games would be the best.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
TT maybe an option and possibly the best way forward, but surely the possibility of each country committing to a 6 team domestic option is worth a look at. This gives you a genuine domestic competition of 3 months length in each country, 6 games each week for your Media presence.

At the end of each domestic comp you can explore all sorts of champion league style comps involving all teams, potentially add Japan to that, maybe a SA team, an (Asian selection).

The point is what would be the best option or outcome for Australian rugby in ten years time, IMHO the domestic option followed by crossover games would be the best.
A 6 team comp is just too small to gain interest

Also we can’t be afraid to play kiwi sides they are seen as the benchmark sure but you have to beat the best if you want to be the best. Hiding away in our own comp isn’t going to improve the standard and there will always be that knock on the Australian champs until we prove ourselves

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Also we can’t be afraid to play kiwi sides they are seen as the benchmark sure but you have to beat the best if you want to be the best. Hiding away in our own comp isn’t going to improve the standard and there will always be that knock on the Australian champs until we prove ourselves

I agree Rebel, 6 team comp in either NZ or Aus isn't substainable.
Also can't say how much I agree with your thoughts on playing kiwi sides, and I don't see ahuge disparity going forward. I personally think on current form etc Reds and Brumbies and probably Rebels would match it with most kiwi teams. If you keep playing in a comp just so you guaranteed an Aus winner, you will not get improvement in game. And I believe that for NZ teams too, one reason I liked the Saffas in comp.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

I'm sorry, I just think that is an absolute crock of shit. How has that benchmark worked out for the game here the last 20 years.

Hiding away in our own comp, I mean why do the French or English even bother with there's, because surely there just hiding away from the Kiwis.

Fine to advocate that a TT competition is the best option, but please spare us "we must play NZ teams every weekend crap to legitimize our rugby".

Reactions: dru

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree Rebel, 6 team comp in either NZ or Aus isn't substainable.
Also can't say how much I agree with your thoughts on playing kiwi sides, and I don't see ahuge disparity going forward. I personally think on current form etc Reds and Brumbies and probably Rebels would match it with most kiwi teams. If you keep playing in a comp just so you guaranteed an Aus winner, you will not get improvement in game. And I believe that for NZ teams too, one reason I liked the Saffas in comp.
I agree with everything you said there, I liked the South African involvement but commercially it was terrible with side being invisible for weeks on end. Although it was amazing when you came home drunk and were flicking through the channels to find something to watch

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

What might be an option if we were to go down that path is both Super Rugby Au and So run a 6 team structure each. Determine a champion. Then alongside the top 6 from the upcoming Japanese Pro League for AP Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.