• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Does anybody have handy the fixture graphic with a list of which games are on Gem and which are Stan? Thanks in advance

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
2c807d8f-54ad-4c8b-bf00-21f8e2ebc824-jpeg.12036

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moana Pasifika & Fiji edging closer to inclusion in Super Rugby from 2022:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nclusion-as-nz-rugby-shares-broadcast-revenue

So is this assumed full trans Tasman and not super rugby Au and nz separate competitions first with follow up separate trans Tasman competition afterwards like planned for this year?

I am nervous how this might pan out as continue to be concerned what is best for the competition vs what is best for nz (replace with australia as well depending on your views) won’t align and latter will win out more then the former. Like to be wrong on that of course

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I really think RA need to continue with Super Rugby AU for at least another 5 years in order to safeguard and build fan engagement before moving to a full TT comp. The TT concept they have at the moment is just right for now. Aus teams and fans need more wins, and more good news stories, at Super Rugby level.

I fear that if Aus fans experience 2 or 3 losses per weekend in a full TT comp, Super Rugby will begin it's slow death spiral again like old Super Rugby. Just give the current model at least 5 years to see how it goes first.

Only change I would make is Fiji in Super Rugby AU and Moana Pasifika in Super Rugby Ao, with the current TT concept. That would give every team 8 home games and 8 away games. Perfect.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I really think RA need to continue with Super Rugby AU for at least another 5 years in order to safeguard and build fan engagement before moving to a full TT comp. The TT concept they have at the moment is just right for now. Aus teams and fans need more wins, and more good news stories, at Super Rugby level.

I fear that if Aus fans experience 2 or 3 losses per weekend in a full TT comp, Super Rugby will begin it's slow death spiral again like old Super Rugby. Just give the current model at least 5 years to see how it goes first.

Only change I would make is Fiji in Super Rugby AU and Moana Pasifika in Super Rugby Ao, with the current TT concept. That would give every team 8 home games and 8 away games. Perfect.

First few rounds of Super AU this year have had horrible attendances. Worse than Super 15 had pre-covid. Is there enough there to build on?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
First few rounds of Super AU this year have had horrible attendances. Worse than Super 15 had pre-covid. Is there enough there to build on?

I don't think you can compare attendances at the moment.

1) Stadium capacity is reduced
2) Western Force games were sold out at reduced capacity
3) Tahs played at Bankwest on a Friday night, never going to draw numbers.
4) People are still reluctant to gather in big crowds, there is a element of fear around at the moment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think you can compare attendances at the moment.

1) Stadium capacity is reduced
2) Western Force games were sold out at reduced capacity
3) Tahs played at Bankwest on a Friday night, never going to draw numbers.
4) People are still reluctant to gather in big crowds, there is a element of fear around at the moment.

I think that point 4 is very strong too KevinO, and people are a little unsure to make plans too far ahead because they feel things can change with a case here or there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So is this assumed full trans Tasman and not super rugby Au and nz separate competitions first with follow up separate trans Tasman competition afterwards like planned for this year?

I am nervous how this might pan out as continue to be concerned what is best for the competition vs what is best for nz (replace with australia as well depending on your views) won’t align and latter will win out more then the former. Like to be wrong on that of course
I am not quite sure how it is planned yet RN and must admit I haven't asked my scource ;). But I would assume if the full TT comp is going, the plan would be a one round comp between all? Personally what I prefer, like the original super 12. If NZR are indeed putting in money I wouldn't think it be as simple as having a team set up in each country as many assumed.
I think what is more intriguing will be how many super teams will lose players with Island heritage.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yep I agree I also don't like all eggs in one basket with NZRU via trans tasman as don't trust them

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Different business models for both I guess, World Rugby have been building a streaming presence for years with the HSBC 7s, so maybe they see it as an opportunity for both.

I assume the benefit for RA is improving profile of oz rugby...I actually don't feel clever enough to understand the wider benefits here or whether pretty peripheral....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
For free as well. Bit of a fuck you to RugbyPass no?

Depends if it a fuck you to Rugby pass when you give your product away because noone will buy it :rolleyes:. Seriously hope it gets decent viewing as I think as a product it will get a reasonable viewership. Though may make a few cringe with the 50-22 kicks etc for rugby folk who not sure what going on.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Different business models for both I guess, World Rugby have been building a streaming presence for years with the HSBC 7s, so maybe they see it as an opportunity for both.

I think we will see more and more as WR (World Rugby) and rugby boards set themselves for marketing game themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.