• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they're going to relocate, why not to Australia?

I'd guess it would be:

i) access to a preferred competition in terms of revenue opportunities.
ii) local support. There are obviously greater similarities with Spain particularly in terms of language and 5x as many Argentines live in Spain as Australia.
iii) location of players. Plenty of their targets would already either live in Europe or have lived and played there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super Rugby T-T looking more unlikely by the day (remembering that NZR have pretty much ruled out playing all the matches in Aus & I suspect RA would be equally reluctant to have them all played in NZ):

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ation-with-govt-but-transtasman-comp-in-doubt

I'd replace "in doubt" with "ain't gunna happen" myself.

So wonder what plan b is...we don’t want to see players facing major pay cuts again as could open exodus overseas. Not sure what solution could be...I actually think players going into a bubble could still be more of an option given so much at stake. Not ideal, but I think it could otherwise do too much damage to the finances.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So wonder what plan b is.we don’t want to see players facing major pay cuts again as could open exodus overseas. Not sure what solution could be.I actually think players going into a bubble could still be more of an option given so much at stake. Not ideal, but I think it could otherwise do too much damage to the finances.

Plan b was always an extra round of the respective comps I think. With a 2 week lead in either country but more likely Aus could host a finals series over 2 weekends after that. Not ideal but in the current climate it would be a reasonable compromise ahead of the June tests

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's a shame, I really think for both Aus and NZ the preference is the TT, just to relieve the boredom factor of 3 rounds, and I applaud RA if they are inquiring about vaccinations etc, but same as in NZ gov't can't allow it to happen. I actually wonder what is plan for RC, I suspect that will be in a bubble in Aus again this year? NZ and Aus maybe able to travel by then but SA and probably Agentina will probably not. One answer to that is if NZ and Aus players are vaccinated would be maybe have SA in Aus and Argentina in NZ? ABs and Wallabies if vacs done maybe able to travel between. Seriously doubt there will be any inbound tours from NH , but perhaps we can just hope.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just can't get over 15 years of being told one Super team out of the Pacific is unsustainable, yet here we are with TV revenue down how much? and we are couple of months from signing up two teams who will be ready for 2022. What f_____g financial model did SANZAAR work on.

Reading the article I don't think SANZAAR had much to do with it & it's more based on private equity (worth noting that NZR recently made their franchise licences open-ended, specifically to make them more attractive to PE).

Once a 12-team Super Rugby replacement is confirmed I think it'll be run by some kind of commission with NZR & RA obviously having a stake but not necessarily a dominant one. At that point SANZAAR either becomes just the controlling body for TRC if that continues, or is abolished if it doesn't.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just can't get over 15 years of being told one Super team out of the Pacific is unsustainable, yet here we are with TV revenue down how much? and we are couple of months from signing up two teams who will be ready for 2022. What f_____g financial model did SANZAAR work on.

I think you will find this has got a lot to do with money mainly coming from NZR. I will tell you it is still not signed and sealed, but getting close. You will notice this has come from Moana Pasifka, not NZR, who don't like to use the press quite as much as some.

Other thing is it will be interesting to see how many NZ and Aus franchises lose players to them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nothing makes sense until we can see the money.

Agree completely. This report however says that NZR will be funding it. Which is great.

If they intend recovering costs once the comp is up a running by sharing cost with Australia - that is not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.