• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's in the best interests of the fans to give as much notice as possible.

People might be organizing travel and accom to come to Brisbane and watch the Crusaders or Blues play considering they may not travel to Oz each year if a similar format remains.

I think at the very least the Super Rugby organization needs to keep updating the fans with the current situation, likelihood of games happening etc.

Sure, of course they should keep fans updated and announce when a decision has been made.

I certainly don't think you cancel now because you might have to cancel later. I don't see how that is in anyone's interests.

In terms of travelling, I think everyone has adjusted to COVID and border restrictions and would not be booking anything too far out. At this stage everyone at least knows that interstate travel could be prevented at the last minute, completely out of their control.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Imagine: Force v Rebels three times. Maybe the third game could be on a neutral ground. Somewhere with atmosphere, like Parkes, Gatton, or maybe Port Augusta.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well a Trans Tasman tournament could occur but realistically it would have to occur all in Australia and the kiwi teams quarantine on return. Unless the NZ govt give them some kind of dispensation. Maybe a compressed tournament of 3 rounds instead of 5

BE6668B0-5A20-4D4E-95BB-26F62CD47DF7.jpeg

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well a Trans Tasman tournament could occur but realistically it would have to occur all in Australia and the kiwi teams quarantine on return. Unless the NZ govt give them some kind of dispensation. Maybe a compressed tournament of 3 rounds instead of 5
Mate the problem is also that if there a couple of cases in NZ, Aus Gov't will close borders again, one of reasons there will be no bubble. I hope I wrong, but doubt it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Mate the problem is also that if there a couple of cases in NZ, Aus Gov't will close borders again, one of reasons there will be no bubble. I hope I wrong, but doubt it.

I don't really get why, they can just block travel from the relevant LGA (or city, I guess).

NZ should just do what we do internally and close travel from the state where there is a case, temporarily and reassess on a day by day basis.

The border and lockdown controls have been overkill for quite a while now.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Why would you cancel it when you're getting another 9 - 10 or so club games a week beyond that?

I wouldn't. I'm just talking to those who think it's not worth getting at all because of lack of confirmation of full seasons. Personally I'm definitely keeping it through the periods rugby in any form is available live. Outside of those periods will depend on how much I watch other shows on Stan (I didn't have a Stan sub at all prior to last week).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't really get why, they can just block travel from the relevant LGA (or city, I guess).

NZ should just do what we do internally and close travel from the state where there is a case, temporarily and reassess on a day by day basis.

The border and lockdown controls have been overkill for quite a while now.

Yep I agree mate, but seems it not easy, see if there a case in Auckland (like last time ) Aus govt closed of bubble to all of NZ, and probably rightfully if they though any risk. As I say I love it to go ahead, but kind of resigned to it not happening, and having RC in a bubble in one country.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The situation will change by the time the trans tasman games begin - 40% of aus population will have been vaccinated reducing the risk of isolated cases causing large outbreaks. I'd suggest the Gov will adopt a different strategy to the bubble by then if there's a couple of cases than now - where they're risk averse because the population is still exposed and vaccination is around the corner

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Cough, cough, cough clears throat a little more.

I just wonder what poster in this thread often suggested that Super Rugby should runs its own competition and be separate from the national teams. Sorta like US models of franchise models or at least start moving to this.

Some said sounds good, most did not, to prove my point I suggested the A-League O O O O O sorry. It would never work and stop mentioning this as we know it won't work and so on and so forth.

In todays Roar and let me copy just a little, in an interview with Andy Marions after Marions discussions with outgoing CEO Rob Clark and soon to be gone director Hamish Mac.

The question below is sooooooooo soooooo soooooo the obvious way to go, and yes we should have a separate and IMO privately owned and run competition.

Graet question Bret.

Question from Bret McKay
Are we nearing the point where SANZAAR look after the internationals and Super Rugby is run independently?
Answer or part of the answer

“In terms of the relevance of SANZAAR in the domestic markets, I think we’ve also got to be realistic and understand that as much as Australia and New Zealand may want to work together, when it comes down to intricacies, or a decision that might impact the performance or outcome of any particular team on a weekend, be it from an officiating or judicial, or even just competition structure perspective, I think it’s always wise to have an independent party that’s sitting in the middle of that, so that you’re not damaging the relationship even further, and certainly, if you ever get to a position of an impasse, you always know you’re going to vote for the best interests of your union.
“From an independence point of view, I still think they’ll have a role to play, and we don’t necessarily have to worry too much about the running and the machinations around the competition, and rather just focus on the high performance and making sure we are getting the results.”

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure if this has been brought up but the Jags. via the Argentine RU are feeling out the possibility of being based in Spain and competing in the Pro 16 in the near future. And according to a Spanish poster who tends to have good info over on the T2 forum it's not pure rumour and speculation. Talks have been occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.