• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can see it now, we are all on a bus, and it's being driven straight towards a cliff with certain death for all onboard.
You're standing in the aisle insisting everyone keeps their seat belts on,for their own safety...
And the problem is all the passengers can see this but the driver of the bus is the one who can't hence just continues to accelerate towards the cliff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just listened to the Alan Jones rant and his view you should only put rugby people who understand the game on the ARU board.

I disagree - we need a mix as we also need others from outside sporting codes (successful ones) who can challenge the status quo as what Jones misunderstands is to be successful in this country rugby needs to change.

So yep I would get the lady who is ex Canterbury NRL side CEO on the board, and heck I would even put Papworth on the board as at least he gives a shit about rugby and would offer a contrarian view and view from club land (just need to make sure ARU Board mix right so he can be kept under control as Papworth needs to broaden his rugby perspective beyond the SS).

And for me I would rather an outsider of Oz rugby (read ex NRL sports administrator or English RFU sports administrator) as Head of ARU as this organisation needs some fresh thinking and a professional and successful sports administrator at its helm - not a Shore Old Boy in the inner rugby circles or ex player like Kearns running our game without any solid sports administration experience.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Twiggy just announcing at the rally today, If the Force aren't reinstated he will fund his own comp in Perth..

Starting to feel a lot like the Super League war..

I don't know about that............

How is his standalone Perth comp going to run? Is it going to compete against Perth club rugby?

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Twiggy just announcing at the rally today, If the Force aren't reinstated he will fund his own comp in Perth..

Starting to feel a lot like the Super League war..

This had been rumoured elsewhere. He's shown he's a man of his word.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Obvs details to come, but is that not a preferable outcome this point?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Why?

In actuality it could finally force (accidental pun but convenient none the less) serious consideration about an overhaul of the national body and setup and move us towards a true national DOMESTIC (as in only Aussie teams - sad i have to clarify the word domestic) competition.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't know about that....

How is his standalone Perth comp going to run? Is it going to compete against Perth club rugby?

Its a funny thing when you consider that the ARU have pushed most of the NRC licences to be held privately and not by Super Rugby clubs where possible. :D

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If it's an international comp that rivals the ARU/SANZAR/World Rugby........... who is he going to get to play in it?

I think there's some empty promises being thrown around here.........

T

TOCC

If it's an international comp that rivals the ARU/SANZAR/World Rugby..... who is he going to get to play in it?

I think there's some empty promises being thrown around here...

Who said it's to rival World Rugby?
Plenty of countries not involved in SANZAAR.. Fiji, Samoa, Tonga.. and even some cashed up ones who wanted a rugby team like Singapore and Hong Kong..

I think it's all a bit early to speculate about it being an empty promise.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My skepticism is in response to comments such as this.........

If International. Then that is I understand technically 'get a big black dog up the mofos at the aru', Ka fn boom!!!

I don't know how they could stick it to the ARU if they can't get access to the best players here.

It reminds me of when some in club rugby land floated the idea of going rogue against the NRC............ it's not viable if you can't sign the best players.

So yes, he could fund his own hypothetical mini competition that involves Western Australia, with a rag tag group of Asian/Pacific Island nations, buuuuuuuuut...........

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
I think an alternative competition that eventually draws talent away from ARU is a positive step. If young Wallaby eligible players are already going overseas and turning their back on the ARU/Wallabies, why couldn't they be enticed to stay and play in Australia if the price is right.

Comparing this to Superleague is a bit spurious. Superleague was created to provide content for pay tv. I think what we are all hoping for here is a comp that will be shown on free to air tv and will include teams we will follow. It may not be clubs, it could be a national comp built around universities which quite often are the strongest clubs, at least in terms of playing numbers, in cities around the country. Clubs would still exist but as feeders to the professional league in much the same way NRL teams have feeder teams.

The system that exists is not working so we need to look for an alternative. Ideally with a centralised governing body that is not ruled by two powerful states and the nepotism we have seen in rugby for decades.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's quite a few teams, comps and players in Australia jumping at the chance to play at a higher level, I don't think it would be hard at all. Just look at the QPR and Shute Shield, there's the players and the fans there..
You would be able to make another 5 sides in NZ, and they would still beat everyone

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.