• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can remember when World Series Cricket and Super League came in. The supporters of the establishment said many of the same things:

"Where will they get the players from."
"Who would want to play for a breakaway group"
"How will they solve logistics"

I have no idea whether this will get off the ground or not, although I hope and suspect that it will.

Players are paid professional, anyone suggesting that players won't take the money is kidding themselves. (Possible exceptions being new Wallabies and relatively young Wallabies). Players getting paid big money won't particularly care who they play against.

For most fringe players, if the money on offer is better than what they are on now, they'll take it.

Unless they include Iceland and Pitcairn Island, the travel won't be as demanding as Super rugby.

B

BLR

Could see the stars on 7 figures with the squad players on 50k or something.

It is worse in Super Rugby at the moment. Up and coming Super Rugby players and potential future Wallabies being offered approx $35,000 a season while freaking Genia gets $800,000 a season.

This is happening now.
Unless they include Iceland and Pitcairn Island, the travel won't be as demanding as Super rugby.
There is a story that the Vikings stole all the best looking women from England and took them to Iceland, plus Iceland has such a small gene pool they pay foreigners $4,000 to marry their women.
This could be a good opportunity to 'spread the game' for both players AND fans. ;)

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
It is worse in Super Rugby at the moment. Up and coming Super Rugby players and potential future Wallabies being offered approx $35,000 a season while freaking Genia gets $800,000 a season.

This is happening now.

Yikes- I knew there was a huge discrepancy, but didn't realise they started on 35- that's minimum wage. I thought the minimum in Soup was something like 85k!? In any case, RUPA are completely toothless so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Does anyone on here have any insider information about the supposed Adelaide NRC consortium? I wonder if they could be tempted to get involved?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yikes- I knew there was a huge discrepancy, but didn't realise they started on 35- that's minimum wage. I thought the minimum in Soup was something like 85k!? In any case, RUPA are completely toothless so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Does anyone on here have any insider information about the supposed Adelaide NRC consortium? I wonder if they could be tempted to get involved?

Pretty sure it's $55k progressively increasing to $70k.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No one in the main squad is on anywhere near that little. Some guys outside the main squad in what teams call "wider training squad" may be on 35k.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
30k, 50k, 60k.

If the Stars is a serious chance, does anyone think the players won't enjoy earning cash for rugby?

They'll be the envy of every Shute Shield squad in Sydney.

Cash left over to buy some Soup names if you were inclined.

And these blokes WON'T be on EPS, trial, or some other minor poxy thing. They will be professionals playing in an international comp. you don't think this will attract?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
30k, 50k, 60k.

If the Stars is a serious chance, does anyone think the players won't enjoy earning cash for rugby?

They'll be the envy of every Shute Shield squad in Sydney.

Cash left over to buy some Soup names if you were inclined.

And these blokes WON'T be on EPS, trial, or some other minor poxy thing. They will be professionals playing in an international comp. you don't think this will attract?

There are still some posters who yearn for the status quo and the established order to prevail.

Whether it's called the Sydney Stars or the Nukalofa Heilalas, The Apia Sea Turtles, or anything else - professional rugby players will play if the money is right and the conditions are acceptable. Those who are trying to think of reasons why they wouldn't are delusional.

It wouldn't surprise me if Twiggy is turning potential teams away by the time this is done.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No one in the main squad is on anywhere near that little. Some guys outside the main squad in what teams call "wider training squad" may be on 35k.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
What do you call "the main squad"?
How do you know?
My reason: I was talking to a player parent and was gobsmacked at how little was being paid given what is expected of them.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
How do you know?
My reason: I was talking to a player parent and was gobsmacked at how little was being paid given what is expected of them.
There's been a bit of media over the years as to what Super rugby players get paid

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...a9be4c44d?sv=fe050afb4c2c4e108759265ab0f4506a

"The new Collective Bargaining Agreement does provide increases for minimum-wage Super Rugby players, from $62,447 this year to $65,000 next year and $75,000 by 2017."

Edit - that's for the 30 players in the squad. EPS players might be in your sort of money IS

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

D

daz

There are still some posters who yearn for the status quo and the established order to prevail.

If by status quo, you mean the good old days when we were consistently in the top 3 ranked international teams, rarely finish lower than the semi-finals of the RWC, win the RC every 2 years or so, look likely to win the Bled at least once before the next mass extinction event, and have all our Super Rugby teams capable of winning a game against the Arctic third XV, then yes, I'm a status quo yearner. ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If by status quo, you mean the good old days when we were consistently in the top 3 ranked international teams, rarely finish lower than the semi-finals of the RWC, win the RC every 2 years or so, look likely to win the Bled at least once before the next mass extinction event, and have all our Super Rugby teams capable of winning a game against the Arctic third XV, then yes, I'm a status quo yearner. ;)

Mostly have been top 3, over the entire rankings period.
Missed semis in 2 of 8 RWCs, 22 and 10 years ago (in the good old days, actually).
Extinction event wins the next fight.
Who knew Greenland and Upper Scandinavia had such depth?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How do you know?

The main squad are the 30 players on full contracts. Then there is the EPS of 5 players (although that has been somewhat blurred in recent years at least in the way teams announce their players).

The information is available in the CBA and various media releases.

For a main squad player, the figures were: Super Rugby minimum salary was $67,500 in 2015. That rises to $72,500 in 2016 and $75,000 in 2017.

EPS was $47,500 in 2015, which went up to $50,000 in 2016 then $52,500 in 2017.

Outside that I am sure the salaries are minuscule and wouldn't support someone without external assistance.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

For you, fine. For me Status Quo = SNAFU. Unengaged, unaccountable board. Self preserved by NSW and Qld. Understanding funds without understanding marketing or business development. Decision making focused at the top level and an absence of building foundations. Pandering to SANZAR without thinking through Australia's own interests.

The more things "change" (shrinking to greatness) the more they stay the same.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Whether it's called the Sydney Stars or the Nukalofa Heilalas, The Apia Sea Turtles, or anything else - professional rugby players will play if the money is right and the conditions are acceptable. Those who are trying to think of reasons why they wouldn't are delusional.

It wouldn't surprise me if Twiggy is turning potential teams away by the time this is done.

Without doubt this is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.