• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Has Twiggy announced if he'll be buying the Force IP back off the ARU or will he be setting up an entirely new WA team for his comp?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He'll always be eligible for the Wallabies whilst uncapped. He was born here. I don't know if he is NZ eligible via heritage but I assume so.

This was more about eligible under the current ARU selection policies.

Pretty sure he's ineligible for NZ by heritage but he'll qualify by residence some time next year & my info is that if young Lomax isn't interested in "coming home" a major play will be made for Ala'alatoa with a move to the Chiefs being part of the plan (dunno why but my source has good Chiefs connections & knew about SBW's arrival & departure well before there was any public speculation so I'll give him the benefit of the WTF?).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, has anyone from the Force playing/ coaching/ back office staff actually signed on?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
the way I see it this is/will be the new super comp, the aru sanzaar model will die.
New teams will be added when it makes sense.
Palmer is an idiot, no comparison, his net worth is not even a tenth of TF's.
TF's whole thing from what I see is sustainability and that means without his input.
I don't think there are any French Billionaires in Rugby? certainly not 6.8 billionaires.
See above, but he will work with like minded people in China and elsewhere to set it all up including broadcast arrangements then stand back.
The good thing is he will probably always be there as a backstop to the Aus teams if they are getting bullied or whatever.

Mate the man who owns Toulon would probably be on at least a par with TF in the money department, but regardless mate I just trying not to build my hopes up too much , but be assured if it does come to fruition I will be stoked! Anything that increases rugby's presence is great. As well as I obviously personally think it was wrong team that was cut.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If Twiggy sets up a new competition, I doubt it will rival Super Rugby - he simply won't have the players or teams to do that... but hopefully it will add as a placeholder for the Force brand in the interim, and in a year or two we will see a new revamped Super Rugby with the Force reinstated.

You're assuming that anyone would want to "rival" super rugby. I'm assuming that they've cornered the market on their particular rugby product.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Has Twiggy announced if he'll be buying the Force IP back off the ARU or will he be setting up an entirely new WA team for his comp?

Offer 'em $2. Twice the value of the Rebels all-up.

Or … rebrand

west enforce.png

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The big difference between Mitchell and Forrest is their wealth. Forrest can afford to finance something for a long time and absorb massive costs if he so desires.

Gees BH I have unusually given you a lot of thumbs up today but I agree....this is a man of massive wealth, but also a proud and high profile Western Australian (WA of the year), who has his own philanthropic foundation which is already part of the admin structure of the new comp(read: one of its causes!).....this competition will happen...and he will give it the best shot to succeed....but yes it may or may not work out...but gees at least he is giving it go where the ARU would love to do something like this but can't afford the risk involved given limited funds at its disposal...

Anyone who loves rugby would be hats of for what TF is offering - a chance for better things - and deserves serious respect. I wish him all the very best with his new competition as I will certainly be supporting it and looking to watch games on relevant broadcast media outlet used.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Twiggy isn't really promising the world. He's promising WA. The rest is simply a consequence. And some of us on the east coast are on board because we think "not the ARU" is a marked improvement.

WA was burned by the ARU. I doubt WA fans would treat Twiggy the same, even if after he tries, he fails. Let there be no doubt, Clyne is the bad guy here.

In simple terms, we wanted a better plan B for Oz rugby...TF is offering us a Plan b, as none of us want to shrink our professional game if we can avoid it....and TF is offering us a chance to avoid that and even perhaps grow the professional game - who would not want to support this? And first and foremost, most of us want rugby as a national game, not an east coast centric game, and TF keeping the dream alive. To remove a whole state from having a professional rugby team just seems wrong (not withstanding financial circumstances may dictate this at this point). Could you imagine as NSW Tahs or QLD Reds supporter if that happened to you how you would feel? Because of the Wallaby centric approach rugby is very nationalistic and getting rid of the Force feels like to many losing our little brother. Hence the emotion with cutting of the Force pretty understandable.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Peter Playford suggesting the Stars will be reforming to play in the Twiggyball comp.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Look if I was serious about developing a product that may actually be marketable, I'd be looking to build a domestic competition that draws on the strengths of premier grade rugby. By that I meaning inviting the clubs around the country, which have started to see a resurgence in recent seasons, to apply for entry. Now that would provide a noteworthy point of difference if you could get it going.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Peter Playford suggesting the Stars will be reforming to play in the Twiggyball comp.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wow! Reference?

I was wondering at Josephine Sukkar in this, once Twiggy endorsed women's rugby. They sponsor Uni which I thought was a stretch, and the new thought the nominal hook up with Rams could connect. But the Stars, wow.

More games back at Leichardt Park.

(Like all things, proof of the pudding etc)

Edit: also implies support from at least one of the Ladies on the Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.