• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm all for this to be successful in providing another pathway, and possible placeholder for players/teams prior to a Super Rugby shakeup in 2020.... and then all the parties, including the ARU, Twiggy, etc. can get together and create something worthwhile for the future. But the childish, loose drunken rants about it taking over Super Rugby/ARU, being splashed over FTA TV and buying up all the best players is simply unrealistic. You mentioned sanity in your first sentence, but there really hasn't been a lot of that involved in discussions lately.

Given the way that the ARU has treated the fan base, I dont really care if Twiggy-ball is not at the same level. Hell the alternative is Shute Shield not Super. Unrealistic is an expectation that rusted on rugby fans, once subjected to the sandblasting by Clyne, should stick by Super Rugby. The actions of the ARU in 2017 will have impact of Australian Rugby going forward.

T

TOCC

I'm all for this to be successful in providing another pathway, and possible placeholder for players/teams prior to a Super Rugby shakeup in 2020.... and then all the parties, including the ARU, Twiggy, etc. can get together and create something worthwhile for the future. But the childish, loose drunken rants about it taking over Super Rugby/ARU, being splashed over FTA TV and buying up all the best players is simply unrealistic. You mentioned sanity in your first sentence, but there really hasn't been a lot of that involved in discussions lately.

Mate it's emotive subject for WA fans, they're angry and frustrated, there's naturally going to be a bit of unreasltiic expectations on what's to occur from here. Just roll with it, you still have the Brumbies and Super Rugby, let the WA fans vent for a bit.

T

TOCC

From some loosely with TF, the general feeling is that Twiggy and he ARU will end up as allies rather then enemies at the end of this, albeit with a power shift in the stakeholders of whatever model eventuates.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From some loosely with TF, the general feeling is that Twiggy and he ARU will end up as allies rather then enemies at the end of this, albeit with a power shift in the stakeholders of whatever model eventuates.
Gees Fiji drua selling the case for inclusion of Fiji in twiggy ball. Anyone who missed the rising vs Fiji drua game missed a real treat of classic Fijian rugby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That would be the best outcome for all concerned tocc...rugby has enough state faction politics and bs to deal with, without further factions. Despite what one feels about the ARU they are at this point our governing body and need help and Tf with his wealth, connections and influence can provide this in spades.

If the ARU need to also eat some humble pie with TF then that would be the most strategic and sensible decision they have made in recent years!

You don't get many TF's in your lifetime so seize the opportunity with both hands or put other people in the ARU who can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Given the way that the ARU has treated the fan base, I dont really care if Twiggy-ball is not at the same level. Hell the alternative is Shute Shield not Super. Unrealistic is an expectation that rusted on rugby fans, once subjected to the sandblasting by Clyne, should stick by Super Rugby. The actions of the ARU in 2017 will have impact of Australian Rugby going forward.

Further to that, I'd also say that if there's a time for a new comp to suceed in winning over the public, that time is probably now. Hell, people around the world are losing trust in traditional media outfits, they're backing "outsider" politicians over the established elites - why should sports be any different, and why should Australian rugby fans owe their loyalty to a competition and a board that's proven itself to be elitist, dishonest, and cronyist, not just this year but for years beforehand? I think it's more likely than not that the ARU will work with Twiggy than against him, but Super Rugby is surely on its last legs, and if the ARU think they can throw the Force under the bus and there won't be any consequences in terms of support for Super Rugby, they're even bigger idiots than we all thought.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, we have to do something here in the west. Say what we will, but SARU still has the Port Elizabeth side and the Cheetahs playing first-class rugby in the Currie Cup and now the Pro14; the ARU had no contingency for us at all; which is a shocking situation for a national board to have it's third-largest player pool in.

Let's hope we can get something up and running here in Perth, whether it's Twiggy-Ball, the Japan Top-League or whatever else, because the same thing happened to the Western Reds years ago here, and it really buggered up rugby league completely.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can I change 1 item from my post on Friday?

I reckon the Men's XV game will be the main game supported by Women's VIIs and Mens VIIs - otherwise it all goes for too long.

What a compelling and attractive match day experience to promote the great game of rugby.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mate it's emotive subject for WA fans, they're angry and frustrated, there's naturally going to be a bit of unreasltiic expectations on what's to occur from here. Just roll with it, you still have the Brumbies and Super Rugby, let the WA fans vent for a bit.

Angry YES.
Frustrated NO.
We know the door for Super Rugby has been slammed in our face.

We don't need any condescending support - perhaps just understanding and patience.

Twiggy's motivation is to maintain a professional team in WA to ensure a local pathway for rugby players.
Without a professional team there is no pathway despite the rhetoric from the EARU.

Regarding unrealistic expectations - let's wait and see what unfolds over the next short while.
One thing is for certain - the Indo-Pacific competition will be an international competition with the team representing Australia being based in Perth.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I've given up on the ABC.
No longer a trusted source on any subject.
But very good at agitprop.

can't agree, I through it was quite a well balanced article.

Further, I have been a critic of the ARU as long as I can remember. However while I support the general theme of what TF is doing he still has to win me on developing and Australian National Domestic Competition.

The idea of 5 PI & Asian teams and one Australian team will do SFA for Australian Rugby.

BTW we don't need to go on a scorched earth policy at the ARU and State Unions, we need them standing to administrator the game.

What we need is a recognition by those that run rugby to change direction before its to late, to develop a competition away from Super Rugby.

Bring all stakeholders along as well. I keep saying this will take four years to do properly time is running out. Hindsight is a great thing but just maybe the ARU should have brought Cox out.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let me indulge in a bit of theorising. I am not trying to score points, or insult anybody, but genuinely trying to open up what I think is a fascinating area of debate.

I can understand the motivation of the rich property developers et al who put money into a franchise in Europe. If I were a rich man I would put money into Eastwood!!

I can understand the motivation of Uncle Rupert when he threw money at the establishment of the Super League, with the aim of winning subscribers to his media outfit.

I can understand the motivation of the men who set up the Northern Union, and they were fairly successful in establishing a game many of whose elements rugby incorporated over time, both on the playing field, but particularly in terms of professionalism.

Where does Twiggy's motivation sit? If he loves the game so much that he thinks the only way forward for his team is to set up a new competition he will certainly find that the road ahead is bloody hard. Forget about the ARU, he will be dealing with some unions whose powerbrokers will make the ARU look reasonable.

Will he resist the temptation to tamper with the rules? Where will he get his match officials from, and who will supervise the integrity of the competition in terms of adjudication on and off the field?

Finally, the falling popularity of the game in Australia is the root problem. I have said before that this is largely because too many people do not actually like it. It is not the ARU they do not like, it is the bloody game.

Yes, at some levels, we do have a nice little niche following in club rugby, built on tribalism, and a nice Saturday arvo meeting up with your friends. That is not enough, to put it mildly, for us to build on.

At the professional level the game is in deep doo doo. Does Twiggy know this, and what will he change to attract viewers and sponsors?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Tahs Brumbies reds and rebels should leave super rugby and join the TF comp.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
However while I support the general theme of what TF is doing he still has to win me on developing and Australian National Domestic Competition. The idea of 5 PI & Asian teams and one Australian team will do SFA for Australian Rugby.

I think initially the six teams will have to include at least one other Australian team to maintain support over east, which is why the apparent interest from the Sydney Stars is so intriguing. And Fiji would certainly have to be involved, based on the excitement they're bringing to the NRC. For the initial six teams Force, Sydney, Fiji, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan (maybe the Top League champion side) sounds pretty good to me, or even better a Brisbane/Queensland side instead of Japan, who have pro rugby pretty well covered anyway. Got the "heartland" covered, the national footprint gets maintained, and we get to grow the game throughout the region all within a three-hour timezone with a tight, easy-to-follow competition.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Based on the judges comments, hopefully friends rather than allies this time ;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me I guess just got to wait to see what unfolds with Twiggyball.....as seen in press talk of this being a 7 week comp to run along timeframes for Mitre 10 and Currie Cup (which I don't follow either competitions so not clued up to exact timeframes they run to).

As if that is the case can't see it offer professional rugby to WA but a pathway....which equally better than nothing.......I am not sure quite what to expect....hopefully all will be revealed in due course but I imagine TF and his team will only reveal when ready and with ARU blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.