• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I believe the devil is in the detail and its appears to be a clever strategy that prepositions his competition well as it does for Aussie Rugby if it pans out.

This looks like a long term strategy and its also appears not to be detrimental to existing parts of the game. Its interesting that the key piece of real estate being Feb-June is being left in silence. So this appears it will be the battle ground in the future.

Based on the simple facts that the Kiwis have no option but to jump on board anyone else train due to their small market (and notice they are strategically being left out of IPRC comp talks!), the South African teams want to go north and the head of the SARU is a advocate of SA ditching the Super Rugby comp, it leave the whole of the "east coast" team with nothing more than a short term future which is compounded by the fact that most of their unions have nailed their colours to the Super Rugby franchise masts.

He has clearly thought about the new global calendar come 2020 thus the dates.

Looking at what he is proposing, and IPRC comp, supporting the NRC heavily and 7's etc, working with the ARU including player eligibility, I feel optimistic that come 2019 the ARU board will be purged (if not already), the Super Rugby franchises (Unions) will have to tuck tail after driving down the dead end Super Rugby street and the weight and support of the Twiggy concepts will drive the next Super Rugby replacement product.

Looking at the political / business angle, with 2 of the 4 Super Rugby franchises fundamentally "directed" and funded by state or territory government they will be looking for ROI which the IPRC is a marketing boon based on the market it will be operating in.

I'll be interested to learn how heavily he's backing the NRC. If it were to the point where players were paid to similar levels to that of the Mitre 10 Cup that would be awesome.

Reactions: mst

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I believe the devil is in the detail and its appears to be a clever strategy that prepositions his competition well as it does for Aussie Rugby if it pans out.

This looks like a long term strategy and its also appears not to be detrimental to existing parts of the game. Its interesting that the key piece of real estate being Feb-June is being left in silence. So this appears it will be the battle ground in the future.

Based on the simple facts that the Kiwis have no option but to jump on board anyone else train due to their small market (and notice they are strategically being left out of IPRC comp talks!), the South African teams want to go north and the head of the SARU is a advocate of SA ditching the Super Rugby comp, it leave the whole of the "east coast" team with nothing more than a short term future which is compounded by the fact that most of their unions have nailed their colours to the Super Rugby franchise masts.

He has clearly thought about the new global calendar come 2020 thus the dates.

Looking at what he is proposing, and IPRC comp, supporting the NRC heavily and 7's etc, working with the ARU including player eligibility, I feel optimistic that come 2019 the ARU board will be purged (if not already), the Super Rugby franchises (Unions) will have to tuck tail after driving down the dead end Super Rugby street and the weight and support of the Twiggy concepts will drive the next Super Rugby replacement product.

Looking at the political / business angle, with 2 of the 4 Super Rugby franchises fundamentally "directed" and funded by state or territory government they will be looking for ROI which the IPRC is a marketing boon based on the market it will be operating in.

We have our exit strategy I think. And it is very interesting that the Kiwis have been left out. Wonder if they are starting to feel a little less confident of their positions in the past re: a TT competition.

Reactions: mst
B

BLR

We have our exit strategy I think. And it is very interesting that the Kiwis have been left out. Wonder if they are starting to feel a little less confident of their positions in the past re: a TT competition.

So what are the Force getting out of this though? They are still out in the cold until 2020 and then the Aussie franchises can just waltz up having had Super Rugby AND their safety net being available.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

Why? He invited NZ to join but the NZRU turned him down on account of their SANZAAR commitments.

Besides, apart from a big travel bill, what does NZ get in the short term from slaughtering the Hong Kong Expats XV and Tamil Mountain Villages XV?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Why? He invited NZ to join but the NZRU turned him down on account of their SANZAAR commitments.
Did he invite NZ? I don't recall reading that anywhere but happy to be corrected.
I know Eden Park offered to host games.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Today's song ... Dancing in the Street as it from all over the world and a celebration.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did he invite NZ? I don't recall reading that anywhere but happy to be corrected.
I know Eden Park offered to host games.

From about a week ago.

"Sanzaar has been a very clear mistake for Australian rugby. I would not be surprised [if Australian teams walked away from Sanzaar], and I would be encouraging South Africa and New Zealand and the other teams to come across. If we get up into the Indo-Pacific region that's where all the world's economic growth is and that's where the game of rugby will be very powerful and centred from Western Australia," Forrest said

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...competition-to-take-on-australian-rugby-union

He [Forrest] also invited New Zealand Rugby to get on board with a competition that would be "the IPL of rugby".

"Not between now and 2020," said Tew of the prospect.

"We're committed to Sanzaar and that's the end of it. We've got our own domestic competition, we've got a Super Rugby competition that we love, and that's it."

The current Sanzaar broadcasting deal runs through until 2020, with foundation partners New Zealand, South Africa and Australia locked in through to then.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ugby-idea-committed-to-super-rugby-until-2020

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
So what are the Force getting out of this though? They are still out in the cold until 2020 and then the Aussie franchises can just waltz up having had Super Rugby AND their safety net being available.

Well we don't really know yet, still early days even for short term. All that aside and besides the fact we are not playing in any comp yet, we are still the strongest RU club in Aus and as thus it will work out fine in the end. If any other club in Aus had been screwed like we were they would be dead forever. I'm ok with the fact that there is blue sky and a lot of it for us just around the corner. I also trust that TF is doing what needs doing as fast as possible. The obvious problem is that any overseas comp will need IRB approval for all the countries involved and atm that is dependent on the ARU losers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
this is where RUPA comes into it thought and the mandatory stand down periods.

I'm all for this type of comp but I fear a:

Super Rugby Comp (Feb to Jun)
Tests (July to September)
NRC (September to November)
IPRC (November to December ??)
Wallaby Tour (November to December).

Reg, I can see Super Rugby moving to Feb-June timeslot, as it has already been agreed to start 2019? But why allocate three months entirely for tests? An inbound tour only needs 4 weeks or thereabouts. Would it then immediately flow into the RC?

I'd think the NRC in July - September would fit nicely and be run in conjunction with the RC, to be followed by IPRC in October/November with the EOYT to follow hard on its heels.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Besides, apart from a big travel bill, what does NZ get in the short term from slaughtering the Hong Kong Expats XV and Tamil Mountain Villages XV?

Agree zer0, there absolutely nothing in it for NZ. In saying that I hope it works, and works well. The main reason I would think for wanting NZ teams is to help sell it to TV stations, as like it or not creating interest outside of WA will be the key to it working I think.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree zer0, there absolutely nothing in it for NZ. In saying that I hope it works, and works well. The main reason I would think for wanting NZ teams is to help sell it to TV stations, as like it or not creating interest outside of WA will be the key to it working I think.
Yep nz teams interest is for selling to broadcasters but given they have their own domestic comp yes better for nz to play a wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dan and Zero, are you saying there's nothing in it for NZ full stop? Or in the remaining years of Super Rugby?

I see that Steve Tew has only ruled out participation for the remaining Super Rugby years so far. And that's fine, even the ARU are in much the same boat - the four remaining franchises will play Super Rugby until the end of 2020. But after that, what happens for NZRU if and when Super Rugby founders on the move by SARU to bail out to the northern competitions.

And even if they don't bail out completely, there must be a good chance that the ARU will if the IPRC and the NRC combine and morph into a sustainable competition. If the ARU are now talking with Forrest, then it must be a risk to the ongoing Super competition post 2020. In that scenario, where does NZRU go? I don't see them curling up in the foetal position and being content to just play with themselves.

Do you think there is serious thought being given to Rugby's future in NZ or is it all too hard?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What you don't have is the Force related to nothing history as of a few days ago.

You (Force) have a potential future as a starting point. Having one of the biggest backers in Aussie rugby history tying to create more for the Force. Having potentially teams in both the existing and future organisations (ARU and IPRC). Having it all run and managed out of Force central. Having things like player development etc all being though out exclusively for the Force.

Spend a few minutes to stop and consider your 2020 comment. Right now 2 of the 4 remaining SA teams have formally asked to get out of Super Rugby. Japan come post 2019 may not have any further desire. The 2020 Super Rugby deal may not make it the full distance yet.

Also think about what the ARU are spruiking. $6mil in savings a year. So that $6mil need to fund the Rebels, pay the NRC bill, prop up the rest of the Super Rugby franchises and help grassroots. Its not much money when you think about it.

So I will ask you this? What more could you want for the Force from this situation? I hate any team being cut but if it deliverers a future for Aussie rugby as a whole .....

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
How likely is this for timing?

This comp is 6 teams home and away (+ 2 weeks of finals?) Is it not?
So probably need 14 weeks - with a couple of byes in there.

The new international window now ends third week of July and restarts first week of November.

14 weeks between the two windows.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone actually think they'd watch this? I'm finding very hard to get even a little bit excited.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Short term it's a bandaid solution for the Force. However, as an eternal optimist, so I'm more interested in the long game here.

It tries to hold onto the Force organisation as best as possible for a couple of years while the new competition gathers steam. Come 2020, the remaining Australian teams leave the sinking ship that is Super Rugby and join the new comp.

Kiwis can keep flying halfway across the world to play their beloved traditional rivals. Which may be getting harder by the day as SA continue to exhibit interest in the time zone friendly northern comp.

Meanwhile significant funds are now being sunk into the NRC competition too.

Ambitious? You betcha. Just trying to see the Forrest through the trees.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reg, I can see Super Rugby moving to Feb-June timeslot, as it has already been agreed to start 2019? But why allocate three months entirely for tests? An inbound tour only needs 4 weeks or thereabouts. Would it then immediately flow into the RC?

Yes, the new calendar starting in 2020 means that once Super Rugby finishes we go into mid year tours then the Rugby Championship.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Does anyone actually think they'd watch this? I'm finding very hard to get even a little bit excited.
It does feel risky but I don't want to be negative on someone trying to do something to get us out of the shit that oz rugby is in.

In many ways investing in an expanded nrc with Asian entrants seems less risky. But it is not my money and I really do hope with what is put up succeeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.