• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Involving NZ yes - but we probably need to almost plan to go alone and hopefully create something that they would be crazy to not want to join with what we are creating with Twiggy camp and/or RA etc. As NZRU have an air of feeling above RA (and probably justified) and Oz rugby to not want to really be open to such things unless a compelling value proposition offered. Twiggy's money might help create that situation which previously had buckley's of hoping oz and ARU could influence by themselves.

Not "almost". Plan to go alone. NZ has spoken loudly. We are not part of their priorities. It is time to move apart. And look to what is required to make the game successful here in Australia.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Sigh ... seriously not impressed if this is the path that things go down

Another idea that has been floated is the introduction of 10-point tries, drop-goals with more value depending on how far an attempt is from and time restrictions on scrums.
Former Wallabies captain Michael Lynagh is a consultant for the rebranded World Series Rugby and said it was time the code thought outside the box to help create a more entertaining product.

“What that [10-point try] does is create opportunities for teams to have a go from their own 22 which creates a lot more open space,” Lynagh said. “It’s going to make these guys run a lot more.
“Something has to happen, doesn’t it? And this is a part of it. If we have to change the game a little bit to make it more satisfying for the people to come and pay their money to watch these guys play, let’s do that.”

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sigh . seriously not impressed if this is the path that things go down

Another idea that has been floated is the introduction of 10-point tries, drop-goals with more value depending on how far an attempt is from and time restrictions on scrums.
Former Wallabies captain Michael Lynagh is a consultant for the rebranded World Series Rugby and said it was time the code thought outside the box to help create a more entertaining product.
“What that [10-point try] does is create opportunities for teams to have a go from their own 22 which creates a lot more open space,” Lynagh said. “It’s going to make these guys run a lot more.
“Something has to happen, doesn’t it? And this is a part of it. If we have to change the game a little bit to make it more satisfying for the people to come and pay their money to watch these guys play, let’s do that.”

The 10 point try was trialled in the Varsity Cup in SA. I cannot see it sticking. There are a few things I'd like to see tried. A strictly enforced shot clock on forming both scrums and line outs. No more than 30 secs each. Same for kicks for touch. Give them no more than 15 seconds from the time the penalty was awarded This time would form part of the aforementioned 30 secs for the formation of the lineout. Keep things moving.

I'd like advantage to be more codified. Such as if you kick it away that's adv. played regardless of whether it was a penalty (with the exception of serious infringements warranting a yellow card or above. They should be dealt with immediately and then the penalty awarded.) and an agreed distance from where the infringement occurs. Say 10 metres in 10 secs.

I've always thought that when it comes to penalty goals that 7s and 10s have it right. Make conversions the only place kicks. Would make a lot of teams think twice before pointing at the posts.

One last thing. I'd like them to look to go back to the future with the scrum in a way. Watching footage of the scrums from my earlier years the engagement was more of a fold in than a powered hit. Would mean less collapses while emphasising technique and cunning.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's only because no one has had the moolah or the nuts to try the alternative. Maybe this may turn out to be the alternative slim.

So Dear Leader comes along with lots of bags of money and goes “me Rugby now” and World Rugby are just “yeah, sure.”

Life is so simple........,

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry Slim I must've misread your original post I didn't realise you meant WORLD RUGBY I thought it was about the Establishment here in charge my bad.
Some pretty cool ideas there Rugger. I've often thought that us aussies have been a bit too structured in our play. I've often mentioned to mates why do we keep on insisting to kick the ball out in our 22 when quite often there is the potential to run to the open and gain more meters or cause overlap. Maybe 10 point tries might help to change the thinking. god knows the kiwis have been doing for a few years now.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If nothing else, Andrew Forrest has already started on his goal of bringing fringe players back to Australia - Rod Davies and Andrew Deegan (ex-Tahs) are returning!

With the 10 stocks so low, the latter in particular is very exciting.

I'm exceptionally keen to watch these games (a pretty solid amount of home games) and doubly excited to see where this goes in the next year or so.

Hurrah, Twiggy, Hurrah!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry Slim I must've misread your original post I didn't realise you meant WORLD RUGBY I thought it was about the Establishment here in charge my bad.

Rugby Australia is the governing body of the game in this country, and thus a member of the international governing body that is World Rugby.............

Twiggy has a lot of money, and can wield influence (hopefully for the overall good of the game in this country), but he can't do too much without the blessing of Rugby Australia (regardless of our feelings towards them).

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Those posters who seem to be death riding the eastern states and post in terms of winning and conquest.

Always remember Napoleon Bonaparte who even through he won, found if nothing is left standing then everyone losses.

I am sure TF understands this and has no intention of hurting the eastern states. As for the current board that is another matter and a concrete truck maybe called for.

As I posted earlier, a change in the make up of the board would ease a lot of pain.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I have to say if it true there is going to be 10 point tries etc etc, I really don't see the point. If in setting up a new comp ,it is played with modified rules all it does is bring a completely new game to Australia sports scene, it will be then fighting for space with AFL, NRL, Soccer AND rugby. Still I guess they will be able to fund teams to be paid to play for a while ie Crusaders/rebels in June break, but not sure who else will be overly interested in playing, certainly won't be much good for developing players for higher standard rugby, so maybe will end up just being a 3rd-4th level of rugby until it fades out, which I think is a pity, as I was a little bit hopeful.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sigh . seriously not impressed if this is the path that things go down

I am ok with trialling different things and things that are outside of the square as if those things will help make rugby more popular and hence more viable then I am open to anything being changed on that point. Particularly if the alternative is being a stubborn traditionalist and refuse to want to see any change to meet modern day sports fan needs, means watching a shrinking level of participation and interest in our game that has less money in it and hence less top class professional athletes that want to play the game. Actually have I not just described Australian Rugby?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Better than nothing, but, like all new ventures, it will only be a success in real terms if it survives long enough to build up some sort of identity amongst the teams, some traditions, and most importantly, watchability.

It sounds a bit like the Global Tens to me. Different teams every year, which is not viable in terms of building tradition, or identity.

Good luck, Twiggy. Hope you are willing to spend a lot of money if you want this venture to survive.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't see any new rules coming into the games in 2018 - but who knows for WSR or IPRC?

Forrest has already shown that he's willing to spend his own $$s.
His early comments were that it was likely to take at least 3 years for the IPRC (starting in 2019) to break-even.

This is not a fly-by-night happening.
There's evidently heaps going on behind the scenes.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I am ok with trialling different things and things that are outside of the square as if those things will help make rugby more popular and hence more viable then I am open to anything being changed on that point. Particularly if the alternative is being a stubborn traditionalist and refuse to want to see any change to meet modern day sports fan needs, means watching a shrinking level of participation and interest in our game that has less money in it and hence less top class professional athletes that want to play the game. Actually have I not just described Australian Rugby?

But we will just end up creating our own game which no one else plays. If I want to do that I'll watch AFL thanks. That said, I am ok with time limits on scrums, lineouts, penalties and stuff like that, but 10 point tries and drop goals being worth different points based on where they are kicked from?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Better than nothing, but, like all new ventures, it will only be a success in real terms if it survives long enough to build up some sort of identity amongst the teams, some traditions, and most importantly, watchability.

It sounds a bit like the Global Tens to me. Different teams every year, which is not viable in terms of building tradition, or identity.

Good luck, Twiggy. Hope you are willing to spend a lot of money if you want this venture to survive.

My reading is that this is just a series of exhibition matches to get WA Rugby, the Force and Force fans through 2018. The real launch will be next year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
But we will just end up creating our own game which no one else plays. If I want to do that I'll watch AFL thanks. That said, I am ok with time limits on scrums, lineouts, penalties and stuff like that, but 10 point tries and drop goals being worth different points based on where they are kicked from?

Ten point tries and varying values of penalties dependent of distance are well. Silly in my opinion. I know I am the one who suggested them but the ideas I posted I believe would achieve far greater results in regards to ball in play than either of those. Probably the game's biggest issue is the time wasted fluffing about around these elements and the rather elastic application of things like adv. by officials.

I'll add to my suggestions actually. I light of the opening rounds of Super Rugby and the time wasted in TMO referrals I'd be inclined to do away with them. Force the on ground officials to actually make decisions instead of using them as a crunch. Which is certainly the case these days.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
My reading is that this is just a series of exhibition matches to get WA Rugby, the Force and Force fans through 2018. The real launch will be next year.

They are simply building the infrastructure for a competition.
The exact makeup and look will be achieved through trial and analysis.
They don't have a crystal ball it could end up being very different to what any of us think.
But I'm very confident that is will be successful regardless of what the final shape is.

Status
Not open for further replies.