• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m pretty sure that Twiggy won’t be doing anything to promote rugby on the East Coast. I’m not sure if you heard either of his microphone moments at the Fiji match (I think one of them was broadcast on the Channel 7 coverage, not so sure about Fox), but he didn’t have anything positive to say about those over east!

Twiggy will only do it if it makes sense to help his competition.....it would be more promoting and supporting PI teams who have large ex-pat populations in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m pretty sure that Twiggy won’t be doing anything to promote rugby on the East Coast. I’m not sure if you heard either of his microphone moments at the Fiji match (I think one of them was broadcast on the Channel 7 coverage, not so sure about Fox), but he didn’t have anything positive to say about those over east!

Can you distinguish the difference between EAST (the RA administration) and the EAST (The geographic region)

I never heard his comments but perhaps he was talking about your Bill Pulvers as opposed to your Sydneys & Brisbanes?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Calling the shots is not how rugby works. Anywhere.

True - more that Twiggy perhaps has financial muscle to help make things happen - hence suggestion that Fiji playing home games in Sydney etc would make them more commercially viable and hence win win for all concerned.....agree with what you are saying otherwise that has to be benefits for both parties..

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Can someone help me with this: given the diabolical state of Australian rugby in 2018, in what Australian rugby universe are Twiggy's initiatives and financial capability to invest anything other than something to be celebrated, supported and encouraged?

Such a death paradox in many Australian rugby circles: we know the code desperately needs massive, radical change but nonetheless we hate on many of the parties that are actively - with real commitment not keyboard warriors - trying to contribute to that happening in some form or another.

We only want rugby change agents that perfectly, absolutely perfectly, comply with our ideal characteristics of what they should be and be doing.

So we'll die waiting for our dream change agents to arrive.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Calling the shots is not how rugby works. Anywhere.
If you’re paying the farken bill I’m pretty sure you’d want to have a fairly big slice of calling the shots. Why do I keep replying to people on forums who don’t turn up to support their teams? Must give myself an uppercut!
On that subject what would get you guys interested in buying tickets to a game? What entertainment etc would need to be there to change the tide for most people to attend games? Genuine questions that im asking?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Even if you are as rich as Croesus you cannot buy the soul of a person, or a game.

Yes, if he is prepared to put a lot of money in, of course he would expect to have his opinion taken seriously. But total control is a different ball of wax, my friend.

If I lived a bit closer, and was a lot younger, and a lot healthier (I have spinal stenosis, progressive and degenerative neuropathic damage which is affecting my mobility) we would go to some games.

As it is, my wife and I are members of our club, Eastwood. We used to be Reds members, until they appointed Richard Graham coach.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Even if you are as rich as Croesus you cannot buy the soul of a person, or a game.

Yes, if he is prepared to put a lot of money in, of course he would expect to have his opinion taken seriously. But total control is a different ball of wax, my friend.

If I lived a bit closer, and was a lot younger, and a lot healthier (I have spinal stenosis, progressive and degenerative neuropathic damage which is affecting my mobility) we would go to some games.

As it is, my wife and I are members of our club, Eastwood. We used to be Reds members, until they appointed Richard Graham coach.

The current custodians of our great game, Rugby Australia, have done everything possible to rip out the soul of Rugby in Australia. More importantly, despite numerous consultant reports, they've done very little to promote and grow the game. Super Rugby has become an embarrassment. The effects have flowed into the appalling performance of our national team.

The professional game needs a professional organisation to be in control. Andrew Forrest is a facilitator - he has no interest in controlling what will grow through World Series Rugby. However, he's in a very good position to facilitate its growth in collaboration with World Rugby and other international bodies such as Asia Rugby.

Andrew Forrest has no desire to "control" the game of rugby. He has been totally consistent in every one of his mutterings to that extent.

His initial offering was to assist Rugby Australia with the grass roots funding which they themselves had said was required.
His offer was rejected. (Despite verbally agreeing to his proposal only days before) Of course he expected the administration which had destroyed the pathway for players in WA to move on. For the sake of the game the current Rugby Australia board has to move on. ASIC is likely to assist in helping to make this happen.

FTA coverage and streaming is all part of promoting the game and making rugby accessible to as many people as possible.

The naysayers are still doubting Andrew Forrest's bona fides and still saying "tell Twiggy that he's dreamin!"

The reality is that a lot has been achieved in <4 months since Matt Hodgson got the go ahead to rebuild a new playing squad for the Western Force on 11 January 2018. The team did very well considering that they had been under Tim Sampson and Van Humphries for only 5 weeks and had played no trial matches. A few have played a couple of games of Club Rugby in Perth during April.

2018 is only a transition year. To get the Western Force prepared for the NRC (and the Mauritius 10s in June). The support of World Rugby is evident by the teams coming to play in Perth. There's a lot more to come from World Series Rugby. It will unfold as a global initiative.....

PS Totally agree with your sentiment about Richard Graham who was a disaster for both the Western Force and the Reds.

S

sidelineview

Twiggy Rugby has provided hope for Australian rugby fans ... a big bright ray of sunshine on the horizon but there is trepidation with people that someone or something or another will fuck it up.

We'll see; it's early days, but what a great achievement it has been so far and what a triumphant feeling it was to watch the game and pre-game activities on Friday night in the wild west.
Who's going to bet against it?

It's similar to the Souths fightback and victory after being kicked out of the RL comp by News Ltd. Injustice, followed by people power led by great leaders (a little bit of money doesnt hurt either).

Twiggy and George Piggins grew up on different sides of the street but both are inspirational figures in Australian sporting history.
Regardless of what happens you get the feeling Twiggy's not going away. Plenty of WA people and others took it personally.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)

Wamby(I can call you that because I grew up there) my apologies about calling out you and your health is not flash.
As I asked as well and not just asking you what would entice you guys to consistently buy tickets and turn up to the games? Genuine question.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Plenty of WA people and others took it personally.

You betcha!!!

As shown by the new list of sponsors.

Minderoo sent out invitation to 200 execs from the big end of town in Perth (+ partners).
They all came to the game..........

In reality, this terrific support is only an extension of the "Own the Force" initiative which had already committed sufficient funds to keep the Force going.

Early days - but I get the feeling that World Series Rugby is here to stay with plenty happening on the International scene.
It's obviously got the support of World & Asia Rugby.

Michael Lynagh and David Campese are good ambassadors for the game - expect more high profile past players to follow.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Wam, devastated to hear that. Live it large, bloke. [I also dropped Reds membership under Graham. Can't see any reason to go back for now. I did become a member of the Force this year - it's philosophical not emotional, I just think they deserve support.]

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah but this is the "where to for twiggy rugby" thread, not "Where to for super rugby".

Twiggy's shown a clear indication this year of where the comp will be at next for the Force. We're playing Samoa, Fiji, Tonga & Hong Kong this year. I'd bet my house these 4 will be foundation teams along side us next year. He'd be leveraging his business network to make these economically viable as we speak.

The Japanese Top League runs from August to mid January; so there's definitely scope to play both and for Twiggy Rugby to wrap up by August and still give these teams a 2-3 month off-season for teams that are interested.

JJ, I think my comments over ability to generate funds internally are germane.

This said what you are saying here is astute. Nail head.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So when are they going to announce details on teams that will be involved in Twiggy Ball next year? I thought plans were to release this ages ago....or is WSR part of the due diligence for final team selection. Or is negotiations still going on with RA as to what competition will entail etc....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You betcha!!!

As shown by the new list of sponsors.

Minderoo sent out invitation to 200 execs from the big end of town in Perth (+ partners).

They all came to the game....

In reality, this terrific support is only an extension of the "Own the Force" initiative which had already committed sufficient funds to keep the Force going.

Early days - but I get the feeling that World Series Rugby is here to stay with plenty happening on the International scene.

It's obviously got the support of World & Asia Rugby.

Michael Lynagh and David Campese are good ambassadors for the game - expect more high profile past players to follow.

I would have thought with crowds of 20k and 16k (note latter on Mothers day), sponsors would be certainly circling awaiting details of plans for Force next year with Twiggy Ball

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
So when are they going to announce details on teams that will be involved in Twiggy Ball next year? I thought plans were to release this ages ago..or is WSR part of the due diligence for final team selection. Or is negotiations still going on with RA as to what competition will entail etc..

The Minderoo crew have been a bit busy getting WSR going with the invitation games in 2018.

Even if in place, I can't see any announcements until after the NRC is completed.

No need to rush - the first games aren't until Feb/Mar 2019.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In understanding how Super Rugby gone wrong with lack of open borders policy especially for NZ players who play for Oz teams not being eligible for AB's I do think RA should explore offering Wallaby eligibility for specific Twiggy Ball teams (without creating a precedent for oz players playing in Europe being eligible for Wallabies which is definitely what we don't want).

Complex area but surely RA can see the pitfalls of Super Rugby and need for a competition that runs across borders with teams involved for the ability to equalise teams that run across those borders..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I know Minderoo doing own thing but gees reading Jamie Millars article on front page of G&GR on the problems with our game which sums up so well and need for revolution at the top. I would love and most rugby supporters across the country I suspect, see an appointment from Twiggy camp on RA board....as what I am enjoying about team twiggy is the fresh thinking coming into the game that desperately needs it to challenge status quo which is killing our game.

I have lot of hope for what Twiggy and his team doing to help move rugby forward in Australia and our region but help from the inside is needed and hence would love to see twiggy/WA associated person on RA board.

Status
Not open for further replies.