• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The Minderoo crew have been a bit busy getting WSR going with the invitation games in 2018.

Even if in place, I can't see any announcements until after the NRC is completed.

No need to rush - the first games aren't until Feb/Mar 2019.

That's just 9 months away, but are you hinting that there maybe a possible connection between WSR and the NRC

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's just 9 months away, but are you hinting that there maybe a possible connection between WSR and the NRC

Just 9 months away is a long time for Minderoo.
Especially when you consider what's been achieved in just 4 months.

No hint re NRC and WSR intended. I certainly hope not......
The NRC is a RA product. The RA should be fully accountable for the outcomes.
Minderoo offered to get involved as part of the total package of retaining the Western Force in Super Rugby.
Obviously that didn't happen when RA walked away from the ~$70 Miliion offer.

2018 is an interim year for WSR with many of the squad likely to play in the NRC.
Would also expect many of the Future Force players to be involved as they are already involved in training with the main squad.

I just reckon that the Minderoo team will allow the Western Force to focus on the NRC before any announcement re what's happening with WSR in 2019.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just 9 months away is a long time for Minderoo.
Especially when you consider what's been achieved in just 4 months.

No hint re NRC and WSR intended. I certainly hope not..
The NRC is a RA product. The RA should be fully accountable for the outcomes.
Minderoo offered to get involved as part of the total package of retaining the Western Force in Super Rugby.
Obviously that didn't happen when RA walked away from the ~$70 Miliion offer.

2018 is an interim year for WSR with many of the squad likely to play in the NRC.
Would also expect many of the Future Force players to be involved as they are already involved in training with the main squad.

I just reckon that the Minderoo team will allow the Western Force to focus on the NRC before any announcement re what's happening with WSR in 2019.
It would be good if some of twiggy’s teams innovations for World Series rugby were carried over to the nrc...

Be good for all concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would be the logic would it not - force gets over 15k for two wsr games - integrate same concepts into nrc and indeed maybe rebrand to something palatable to all

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Interesting quote that Twiggy said he was prepared to go toe-to-toe with cashed-up overseas clubs to bring players back.

Fan favourite Matt Giteau at the top of Western Force wish-list
Nick TaylorThe West Australian
Wednesday, 23 May 2018 11:47AM
Nick Taylor
1527058148055_GHS1KSLBD.1-1.jpg

Matt Giteau during his last stint at the Western Force.Picture: WA News
Western Force have stepped up their audacious campaign to lure home star Australian players from Europe and Japan – and number one on their list is former Force favourite Matt Giteau.
It is understood the club has been in talks with the 103-Test veteran and other former Wallabies including Adam-Ashley Cooper and Lachie Turner.
The Force aim to bring players back for stage two of mining billionaire Andrew Forrest‘s rugby revolution following this year's World Series Rugby.

There are an estimated 150 Australians playing overseas - 75 per cent with Super Rugby experience -and Forrest's plan could help stop the drain to Europe and Japan.
Force head of high performance and former captain Matt Hodgson confirmed talks were taking place with some big name players.
"It’s true that we are taking calls from player managers, and making some of our own enquiries, around a range of high profile players potentially joining Western Force in 2019 and beyond," Hodgson said.
“However those conversations remain private and we would never comment publicly about individual negotiations.
“The initial success of Word Series Rugby has definitely caused waves in all parts of the rugby world and we are very excited about that.
“Rest assured, just like when All Black Jeremey Thrush joined the Force last week, we will waste no time alerting our fans and the WA sporting public."
The shape of the next two years' competition is yet to be decided but the success of the first two WSR games - Force wins over Fijian and Tongan sides in front of the biggest rugby crowds in Australia this year - has given Forrest's management team confidence to move forward.
The 2019 competition may look different because it is a World Cup year with 2020 also the year that struggling Super Rugby has to negotiate its new broadcast deals.
Forrest vowed to return players to Australia when he launched his competition, saying he was prepared to go “toe-to-toe” with cashed-up European and Japanese clubs.
“Hey boys, it’s time to come home," he said.
“We will be providing the capital so we can attract the best players back to Australian shores and those who are tempted by more generous packages overseas."
Giteau’s high-profile switch from the Brumbies to the Force in 2007 made him the biggest-paid player in Australia at the time, believed to have been a $1.5 million a year package that included corporate sponsorship and Rugby Australia top-ups.
He returned to the Brumbies after three years before signing for Toulon in 2011 and moving to Suntory Goliath last year. He is still the Force’s second highest season points scorer with 128 in 2009.
Ashley-Cooper, who has 116 Wallabies appearances, played for the Brumbies and Waratahs and is currently with Kobe Steelers after a couple of years at Bordeaux.
Turner, who played for the Waratahs and Reds, moved to Exeter Chiefs from Toulon in 2016 and will finish his UK career on Saturday in the Aviva Premiership final at Twickenham.
In other Force news, centre Rodney Iona has become the first player from re-born club to be picked for international honours.
Iona is in the Manu Samoa squad for next month’s Pacific Nations Cup and Rugby World Cup qualifying matches.
Samoa face Fiji and Tonga in Suva before home and away tests against Germany or Portugal for a place at next year’s World Cup in Japan.
Iona, 25, moved from the Brumbies to French club Beziers for two seasons in 2016 and had a brief spell with Santboiana in Spain before joining the Force.
Force head of high performance Matt Hodgson said selection was recognition of Iona’s performances in the wins over Fiji and Tonga.
“We’re pretty excited for him. It is recognition of the hard work he has put in and playing 160 minutes of football against high level opposition,” Hodgson said.
“That would have pushed him into the front of selectors minds because he was in a bit in no- man’s land before coming to us.
“You never know whether his games in Europe get picked up by broadcasters, but coming back to Australia, playing in televised games and against Oceanic teams, the selectors would have had a chance to view his games.
“The only disappointing thing is he may miss our games against the Crusaders and Samoa.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Would be the logic would it not - force gets over 15k for two wsr games - integrate same concepts into nrc and indeed maybe rebrand to something palatable to all

All for lifting the standard and status of the NRC.

However, while the NRC is a Tier 3 competition ( for amateurs - sitting beneath Super Rugby and Test Rugby) it is unlikely to be palatable to WA as it will continue to be a show case which leads players to having to move East to play Super Rugby and then Test rugby.
That's hardly a pathway which will keep professional players, and maintain the level of involvement, in WA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

However, while the NRC is a Tier 3 competition ( for amateurs - sitting beneath Super Rugby and Test Rugby) it is unlikely to be palatable to WA as it will continue to be a show case which leads players to having to move East to play Super Rugby and then Test rugby.
That's hardly a pathway which will keep professional players, and maintain the level of involvement, in WA.

Ideally, and by ideally I mean in a world where RA and Forrest are able to mend the relationship, the NRC would be used as ther basis for the IPRC.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ideally, and by ideally I mean in a world where RA and Forrest are able to mend the relationship, the NRC would be used as ther basis for the IPRC.

Sorry, with Super above it? in lieu of Super? If the former then FF (Folau Fainga'a) criticism remains valid.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Surely the idea / thinking has to be that NRC could be our (eventual) replacement professional competition. Super Rugby is just so dead. I kinda hoping that we could see something like the Rebels and Brumbies jettison Super Rugby at the end of the year and join Twiggy Ball. Would it be possible..well given financially how they both must be suffering I am sure that would be an option almost palatable.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Unfortunately Nutter but the management of The Rebels and RA made their bed. Fucken lie in it as far as i'm concerned. The Rebels have been bailed out too many times to the detriment of everyone else. To consider that Twiggy would help bail them or help them is ludicrous. That's what has led us to this position now. If it happens to be that the Brumbies were jettisoned from Super Rugby I reckon they would be welcomed with opened arms from The Minderoo crew. The Rebels board and some management just cannot be trusted.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunately Nutter but the management of The Rebels and RA made their bed. Fucken lie in it as far as i'm concerned. The Rebels have been bailed out too many times to the detriment of everyone else. To consider that Twiggy would help bail them or help them is ludicrous. That's what has led us to this position now. If it happens to be that the Brumbies were jettisoned from Super Rugby I reckon they would be welcomed with opened arms from The Minderoo crew. The Rebels board and some management just cannot be trusted.

Well we know the brumbies are struggling as in fact all are - but particularly Brumbies with record low crowds really would be struggling per there recent call for fans to attend games. - I like many get the chance for free Tahs tickets through sons school but like others I don't take them up.

I would have thought Twiggy's team would love another oz team to create more interest in Twiggy Ball and I imagine organisations like the Brumbies must at least have Twiggy Ball on their radar as an alternative to being in Super Rugby.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Speaking as a WA fan, I am pretty sure we want one simple thing:

Participation in a professional competition where we can celebrate our local players safe in the knowledge that we are treated as equal partners and not liable to be (a) cut from the competition at the whim of corrupt officials or (b) disadvantaged by a Sydney/Brisbane-centric funding model.

I couldn't give a toss about anything else.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely the idea / thinking has to be that NRC could be our (eventual) replacement professional competition. Super Rugby is just so dead. I kinda hoping that we could see something like the Rebels and Brumbies jettison Super Rugby at the end of the year and join Twiggy Ball. Would it be possible..well given financially how they both must be suffering I am sure that would be an option almost palatable.

I'm struggling to see a situation where the NRC could ever support enough professional players in Australia.
Agree that Super Rugby is dead but the only way forward is something like WSR which will draw upon the $$s from a broader audience then just Australia.

The ITM Cup in NZ may include professional players from Super Rugby but it's mostly Club/Provincial players. Even in a rugby mad country such as NZ there is not enough $$s at this level to support professional players.

If all we can offer is a "super charged" NRC then the player drain to Europe and elsewhere will continue.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm struggling to see a situation where the NRC could ever support enough professional players in Australia.
Agree that Super Rugby is dead but the only way forward is something like WSR which will draw upon the $$s from a broader audience then just Australia.

The ITM Cup in NZ may include professional players from Super Rugby but it's mostly Club/Provincial players. Even in a rugby mad country such as NZ there is not enough $$s at this level to support professional players.

If all we can offer is a "super charged" NRC then the player drain to Europe and elsewhere will continue.

Use it as the basis of a new competition. More the Rebel and Brumbies over as is same with the Force. Re-brand the Tahs and Reds to Sydney and Brisbane which for all intensive purposes they already are. Bring in two other location. A Western Sydney team and another Queensland or if you are feeling really brave and Adelaide team. Include the Drua. That's 8 teams. Add in Hong Kong and either the Sunwolves or Wild Knights. That's your initial 10.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

To have only one oz side against say 5 to 7 Asia pacific non oz sides would be going down same problems as super rugby in not enough oz games...

All the other stuff of involving Asia pacific teams time zone friendly and with better entertainment focused product fantastic and yes also addresses other problems of super rugby but you would be kidding yourself if only one oz side in the competition would be what twiggy or wa rugby fans would want or support long term.

For my mind yes super rugby is dead and we have to be working to model that involves collaboration between twiggy and RA that incorporates of course first and foremost the western force but other oz sides.

Got to repair the bridge I get that - but twiggy’s money will ensure wa interests would be first and foremost protected but the better solution for all has to be western force playing both other oz sides and key Asia pacific sides...

The best way forward for rugby across the country and for all concerned has to be for twiggy’s team and RA working together.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Use it as the basis of a new competition. More the Rebel and Brumbies over as is same with the Force. Re-brand the Tahs and Reds to Sydney and Brisbane which for all intensive purposes they already are. Bring in two other location. A Western Sydney team and another Queensland or if you are feeling really brave and Adelaide team. Include the Drua. That's 8 teams. Add in Hong Kong and either the Sunwolves or Wild Knights. That's your initial 10.
Yep I agree wcr - rebrand abs reshape to align to twiggy’s wsr city based naming convention for teams and launch as new competition.

Hey let wa and twiggy’s team name the competition for all I care...we just want to be part of twiggy’s revolution and inside the tent - not outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.