• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

He is, but your first line was 'business leader'. Not sure he has obtained that status yet?

You mean apart from running an organisation with 17,000+ employees and a multiple billion dollar annual budget?

Dealing with procurement contractors, government agencies, unions and other key stakeholders?

Setting strategic targets and goals for the next 5 years?

Implementing change manangement policies in an organisation that was stagnant and old school in thinking?

Agree that the business he ran was not a money making enterprise, but that is pretty much where the differences end.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cosgrove is 65.

He is the Chancellor of Australian Catholic University.

He is on the board of Qantas.

He is also a director of another listed company, Cardno Limited as well as being Chairman of the South Australian Defence Industry Advisory Board and Leading Age Services Australia.

Surely this screams of most of the same complaints that everyone made regarding John O'Neill.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You mean apart from running an organisation with 17,000+ employees and a multiple billion dollar annual budget?

Dealing with procurement contractors, government agencies, unions and other key stakeholders?

Implementing change manangement policies in an organisation that was stagnant and old school in thinking?

Agree that the business he ran was not a money making enterprise, but that is pretty much where the differences end.

Now you are being stubborn. You know there is a big difference between a government organisation and a big private business.

I'm not saying he couldn't do it, he just doesn't fit your own criteria.

D

daz

Cosgrove is 65.

He is the Chancellor of Australian Catholic University.

He is on the board of Qantas.

He is also a director of another listed company, Cardno Limited as well as being Chairman of the South Australian Defence Industry Advisory Board and Leading Age Services Australia.

Surely this screams of most of the same complaints that everyone made regarding John O'Neill.

Of course. But don't forget we are playing "what if?"

I'm just putting him forward as a potential candidate; don't worry about all the details, or indeed reality.

;)

T

TOCC

Rob Hines - head of Racing Victoria and a rugby mad South African has been rumored

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
It's interesting how so many correspondents feel that it is the CEO's responsibility to set direction. In that lies so much of our current problem - the role of the board should be to set direction etc. The current form / structure is often accused of being out of touch with "grass roots rugby" and here we are with a unique chance for major and meaningful change. The current board needs to agree a direction QUICKLY and then select a new CEO to be part of that new process / direction. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we could do far worse than have ARU Chairman Michael Hawker as CEO in an interim capacity.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I was an admirer of Cosgrove.
I think it is becoming plain that in all the areas you mention and some you don't the armed services are and have been for a long time a shambles.
2 aspects: procurement and training spring immediately to mind.
He may not be responsible but most of the stuff emerging at the moment occurred on his watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I was an admirer of Cosgrove.
I think it is becoming plain that in all the areas you mention and some you don't the armed services are and have been for a long time a shambles.
2 aspects: procurement and training spring immediately to mind.
He may not be responsible but most of the stuff emerging at the moment occurred on his watch.

Stuff which is emerging at the moment? specifics?

Cosgrove's era witnessed the ADF go from a largely stagnant, ill-equipped, non combative military force to one which was equipped with the resources to project into some of the hostile countries in the world including Iraq and Afghanistan.. His reign saw the raising of a second counter terrorism unit and significant growth in the special forces community. Ask anyone in the ADF during that era and they will tell you it was one of the most progressive in decades.

D

daz

I'm not going to get into a big debate, but that is nonsense, IS.

Occured on his watch? Quite the opposite in fact; Cosgrove was the guy who started cleaning house.

He is a great man and I was proud to serve under him.

Anyway, sorry, off topic a bit now.

T

TOCC

Yeah, ask me. It was.

Exactly, suggesting their was a liability in training when he was CDF is ill-informed, that was the period where the ADF actually started to evolve from Vietnam TTP's..

As for the procurement issues which were highlighted by IS.. Well DMO is part of DOD which runs parallel to the ADF.. Cosgrove was the Chief of the ADF, not the DOD which is where many of the procurement issues were..

If anything, the Rapid Acquisition projects initiated through the ADF and under his command equipped the soldiers for the threat faced quite remarkably..

A sexual misconduct review spanning 40years should not be used to discredit one persons leadership credibility given the findings of the review indicate a failing at many levels.. If my memory serves me correct, the ADF actually recognized interdependent couples(gay couples) during his reign which entitled them to same benefits as married couples.

Anyway, I don't wont or think Cosgrove has the right sports administration background to fill the role..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I really think it has to be someone with a genuine understanding, in depth, of the game, and its history, and the realities of the situation that the ARU finds itself in.

We need a change agent who can work out very quickly what needs to change, while understanding and accepting - and working around - the fact that a large slab of our future depends upon the whims of others......notably, the IRB and the other major unions. Also, to be able to accept what cannot be changed. Because there is a lot that cannot. Then, having worked it out, and sold it to all the stakeholders, implement change. Lead us to the promised land, please.

It would take somebody with an AFL background, for example, years to come to terms with the strictures that are placed upon the game, by the international constraints. If they ever could come to terms with this.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cosgrove is 65.

Great man to have on the board but not CEO.

Better to get someone who hasn't peaked in their career (if tapping into the AFL, then not Demetriou).

Go for a younger up-and-comer with a successful leadership record (preferably in the business of professional sport) and maybe in the 40 to 55 range. Someone who can drive through the deals and changes that rugby in Australia needs.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I really think it has to be someone with a genuine understanding, in depth, of the game, and its history, and the realities of the situation that the ARU finds itself in.

We need a change agent who can work out very quickly what needs to change, while understanding and accepting - and working around - the fact that a large slab of our future depends upon the whims of others..notably, the IRB and the other major unions. Also, to be able to accept what cannot be changed. Because there is a lot that cannot. Then, having worked it out, and sold it to all the stakeholders, implement change. Lead us to the promised land, please.

It would take somebody with an AFL background, for example, years to come to terms with the strictures that are placed upon the game, by the international constraints. If they ever could come to terms with this.
perhaps a non rugby person might be better, because of all the above. someone with no hidebound allegience, internicine jealousy, skeletons in the closet etc. a person with a sporting admin background but not the direct affiliations (and limitations) to the code. at a cursory level seems jim buckley (fmr afl) did/does a good job at the FFA. someone with CEO nous but not the baggage

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Was reading in the Fin Review today there is pressure on Cameron Clyne NAB's CEO after a series of disgruntled shareholders and board members. A former Rugby player himself with quite impeccable government connections. But I would assume it would be an incredible pay cut to take the role.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I hate the fact that our CEO needs to be a businessman first and foremost, but that is the reality we find ourselves in.

We don't rake in the cash like the AFL, so the man at the top has to have a tight fiscal focus. The other thing we have to do different to the AFL is negotiate deal with the NZRU, SARU and IRB regularly. Big John was impeccable at this.

I don't know who would be best, but an AFL guy might not be the success everyone is thinking they would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.