• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wilko to play in the NRC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just surveyed people at my work, many of whom have no interest in rugby, yet they know who Johnny Wilkinson is.

I'd love to see him out here, but one thought, if the NRC is designed to generate "creative running rugby" Johnny isn't the first person that springs to mind.

I'd love it if Campo came out of retirement for 10 minute cameo in a couple of games. Sure he is over 50, but it would certainly generate interest!

I know most people would've heard of him but whether they care enough about him to go watch a game is another thing.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
They need to, because their forwards are getting pulverised.

They have been outplayed twice this season once against Randwick and the other against Eastwood. The other 7 or 8 games they have produced quality performances including fixtures against Manly and Souths, far from being "pulverised".

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would drag all my kids out to watch Wilkinson play. I remember being at the test in Brisbane when we thumped the English so it would be nice to see him play a final time.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If someone like Warren Livingstone wants to pay Jonny Wilkinson a huge sum of money to play a few games in the NRC then the ARU would be insane to put roadblocks in his way.

I see no problems at all allowing teams to sign 1 or 2 foreign marquee players outside of the regular salary rules. Another team should try and get Brian O'Driscoll down for it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Isn't there some bizarre tax law in Ireland where they loose a lot of money if they play professionally overseas?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Perhaps he'd be interested in the experience side of it. Playing in another country and such. Pay him in beer. He could treat it as a gateway into an extended holiday. Like to see him playing 13 for the Rams.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Isn't there some bizarre tax law in Ireland where they loose a lot of money if they play professionally overseas?

I think it's along the lines of play 10 years in Ireland get a refund on a decent chunk of the tax you paid, BOD having already done the years wouldn't be forfeiting anything to come play here

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
If someone like Warren Livingstone wants to pay Jonny Wilkinson a huge sum of money to play a few games in the NRC then the ARU would be insane to put roadblocks in his way.

I see no problems at all allowing teams to sign 1 or 2 foreign marquee players outside of the regular salary rules. Another team should try and get Brian O'Driscoll down for it.
If you get investors at the other teams with that sort of money I think that would be a reasonable thing. However most other teams are either run out of thin air or through the relevant state union.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Stars are already going to get all the players uni pay for so have a little sense for every other club who will be on nothing compared to those boys.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you get investors at the other teams with that sort of money I think that would be a reasonable thing. However most other teams are either run out of thin air or through the relevant state union.

Most teams probably wouldn't have a marquee player. But one team having a guy like Jonny Wilkinson or Brian O'Driscoll or whoever is hardly going to dominate because of it. And the publicity they generate (as well as hopefully increased attendances) will benefit the entire competition, not just the team they play for. A huge challenge for the NRC is to be visible!

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Would it really? I mean is he the type of player that would draw the casuals in? Outside of his profile his type of footy isn't exactly exciting.
Exactly the thoughts I had on my mind, you beat me to it. Aussie don't need foreigners in their competition, they need strong local rivalry which will capture the fanaticism of supporters and decent marketing.

Also, the last thing that needs to be done is giving away cash from the union to foreign players. At this point in time, just get it to work.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stars are already going to get all the players uni pay for so have a little sense for every other club who will be on nothing compared to those boys.
I thought I was reasonably well informed about Uni and in particular the fact that they do not pay and have not paid any player. Apparently you have more up to date information, RF, concerning "all the players uni pay for". Please elucidate.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps @Rugby Future is having a dig at Balmain, and the various allegations that the Balmain players are paid to play in Subbies footy.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Sorry, not paid for, incentivised, though I do wish every club had the professionalism and corporate outlook, linked with a love of rugby that uni has. The other teams are just so far behind you have to start trying to balance out.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the consensus is the NRC needs to exist, specifically to develop Australian players. But it can only exist if it is profitable, and at the moment, that's far from likely, largely because of fan disinterest. I think we know that no-one is going to rush out and buy season tickets in the hopes of seeing, say, Ben Volavola. But Jonny Wilkinson will sell tickets. He'll get media coverage (which the NRC certainly wouldn't otherwise get) and it will probably mean Foxtel can sell on their broadcast to the UK and probably other places.
If some wealthy benefactor wants to shell out for a big name, I say let them. No young Aussies are going to get better at rugby playing in a competition that doesn't exist because the ARU can't afford to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.