• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wobblies v pumas - is Salta at altitude edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Our defensive system was shot in the first half, but those two tackles and subsequent tries I'm referring to weren't because of the defensive system, they're down to Foley's poor technique.

Another try came from a lucky intercept on the wing against the run of play and their fourth try was a good offload in contact which turned 5 of our guys inside out.

If I can't critique his shit defence when it led to two tries just because the rest of the team was terrible too, then when can I? Do I have to wait for a game where everyone is good bar him? I'll be waiting for a while.

I'm not sure who is worse in defence tbh: Foley and Beale are both at LEAST, as bad as Cooper in defence. Regardless of the upsides, they are all on the same shit coloured page when it comes to tackling.

It's fucken embarrassing tbh.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
We were very lucky he went off - without his unfortunate injury I fear our comeback may have fallen short and this forum would be a much darker place right now..
He is a very important player for the argies and they missed him a lot.

Sanchez going off turned the match, he was bossing us around the field like Tsubodai before his injury

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
You shouldn’t read too much into these things, but I love Pocock’s expression in this photo....

iHWHrG6.jpg

2nd from left and right win tbh, they look like the wine, dancing, asadas and bags would only be the start of the night...

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I was a little surprised that Banks and Timu didn't get a run. I thought Banks on for Koroibete would have been a sound call. I acknowledge Hanigan was ok, but giving Timu a run for the last 10 at least would have been worth while surely? Look, we won so the result was there, but it's a little surprising I reckon.

Were they even on the bench?

Jesus i'd forgotten we play with more than 19 men these days. Thought the full 23 was just an optional extra

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Perspective please. I would like to remind all that the first half happened, it was less than poor against the 9th team in the world scoring the most points they have ever on a match against the Wallabies.

I saw on coach box camera that when the final whistle was blown Cheika standing next to Larkham didn’t congratulate each other.. There was no coaching team celebration in the box and no eye contact at that every moment. not a good sign. Cheika isn’t helping build a team anymore sand will attract only poor media stories about the Wallabies coming into the WC year. pith gor Australian rugby. Castle needs to cut him. Larkham at least has the experience in WC tournament.

Larkham?

The bloke who's coached us to our worst attack in 40 years, who's previous glorious efforts included such accolades as...the Brumbies from 2014 onwords and the 3 rolling-maul tries a game we could produce?

Not a chance.

There's not a single Aussie coach in the country i'd be happy with atm. A few overseas, or some of the more obvious international options are 100%. No. 500% better than any of the options we have atm.

Get the Wallabies winning is priority number 1 right now, nothing else ( at least in the next few months) matters. Beyond that, certainly an entire flush out and restructure of our admin etc is imperative, but none of those changes will get the most public face of the union firing in the short term and THAT is the most imprtant thing.

Get the Wallabies winning again, not matter how ugly.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's pretty clear that the defensive system needs a rethink or the coach needs replacing. You can't ship as many points per game as the Wallabies have been and expect to win consistently. It's been happening since 2016 if we're honest and it needs to change or barely squeaking out of the group and gone in the quarters awaits next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure who is worse in defence tbh: Foley and Beale are both at LEAST, as bad as Cooper in defence. Regardless of the upsides, they are all on the same shit coloured page when it comes to tackling.

It's fucken embarrassing tbh.
Not quite, they don't get carded every second match for coat hangering someone.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not me, there was plenty to be upset at, the Pumas are a good team but the issues in the first half would not be overcome against NZ,SA,ENG and WAL.

If you can look for positives in a loss then you can equally look for negatives in a win.

That's the GAGR catchphrase jackpot right there.

1. Even though we won, there is PLENTY to be upset at.

2. We would never have beaten NZ, SA, ENG if we played like that (a personal favourite of mine).

3. Don't let the fact we WON cloud over the negatives we can focus on here.

It's a hall of fame post from top to bottom.

Guys, it's a beautiful day outside and the Wallabies won. But don't let that get in the way of your anger and disappointment.

Castle out, Cheika out etc.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Back to the game, I think Iain Payten said it best on Twitter (paraphrasing): what we learned was that if you make your tackles and use your kicking game to play the game down the opposition end, you can score tries.

It's been Cheika's biggest and most obvious flaw this season - the reluctance to get into the trenches and play good hard test footy. To kick from our own half and make the opposition work for every metre.

Now it's easier to do that against a tiring Argentina, but it still took a bit of character to get it done from 31-7 down. Very easy to put your hands up and go 'it's just not happening today' and wind down the clock.

I'm not sure this will be a 'turning point', but it showed that we can play good footy when we get the tactics right.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Back to the game, I think Iain Payten said it best on Twitter (paraphrasing): what we learned was that if you make your tackles and use your kicking game to play the game down the opposition end, you can score tries.

It's been Cheika's biggest and most obvious flaw this season - the reluctance to get into the trenches and play good hard test footy. To kick from our own half and make the opposition work for every metre.

Now it's easier to do that against a tiring Argentina, but it still took a bit of character to get it done from 31-7 down. Very easy to put your hands up and go 'it's just not happening today' and wind down the clock.

I'm not sure this will be a 'turning point', but it showed that we can play good footy when we get the tactics right.

It's been Cheika's flaw since he started, and we ought not be surprised - even McKenzie was selected over White because we would play-ball-in-hand possession rugby that has not been viable at test level in like, forever. McKenzie was starting to figure out what was required (at least, he was talking more about our 'exit') when he got boned. Both Bill Pulver and Chieka were/have been in the habit of being negative publicly about kicking the ball.

Shit, you need less ball than ever to win tests now. How many points do we see scored on counterattack these days?

The Argies threw us a giant bone, though. Three terrible box kicks gave us three possessions inside their 30, and we scored from all three. Why a halfback would seek to box kick to touch at 1100 metres I have no idea, but he kept doing it and poorly.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That first half was one of the most abject Wallaby performances I have ever witnessed. So bad I switched over to other sports at half time and missed the first 10min of the second. (I’ve been back over it.) If they want to hold fan enthusiasm they must do better.

Yes as a part game the last 40 was good - not just because Pumas faulted (though partly).

A W is good but we are kidding ourselves to be patting ourselves on the back after that game, even if we think a 7 ranking is good enough.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's been Cheika's flaw since he started, and we ought not be surprised - even McKenzie was selected over White because we would play-ball-in-hand possession rugby that has not been viable at test level in like, forever. McKenzie was starting to figure out what was required (at least, he was talking more about our 'exit') when he got boned. Both Bill Pulver and Chieka were/have been in the habit of being negative publicly about kicking the ball.
He identified exits as a key weakness in the RWC year and built a solid plan to improve them. They were all pretty good throughout that tournament. A lot of it hinged on having Giteau there as a left foot option.

He does seem to have forgotten decent exit strategy, or the players can't execute it properly. They all seem to have forgotten a lot since those heady days. I liked the 'finishers' rhetoric as well, which seems to have disappeared.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That first half was one of the most abject Wallaby performances I have ever witnessed. So bad I switched over to other sports at half time and missed the first 10min of the second. (I’ve been back over it.) If they want to hold fan enthusiasm they must do better.

Yes as a part game the last 40 was good - not just because Pumas faulted (though partly).

A W is good but we are kidding ourselves to be patting ourselves on the back after that game, even if we think a 7 ranking is good enough.
I don't get this attitude. If you can't pat yourself on the back after winning, when can you?

Do past failures detract from future successes? If we win the next RWC are we not allowed to celebrate because we lost the last one?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't get this attitude. If you can't pat yourself on the back after winning, when can you?

Do past failures detract from future successes? If we win the next RWC are we not allowed to celebrate because we lost the last one?

When you do much better than abject for half a game of footy. If you do well you can pat yourself on the back without a W. But that debacle deserves nothing.

BTW you're allowed to do what ever you want. Just don't expect some of us to understand celebration after that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I genuinely don't understand why you bother watching the sport when it clearly makes you so unhappy, even when we win.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I genuinely don't understand why you bother watching the sport when it clearly makes you so unhappy, even when we win.

Well you see, that might account for our astounding fan numbers, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.