• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wobs v. Gloucester

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

15. Kurtley Beale,
14. Lachie Turner,
13. Ryan Cross,
12. Tyrone Smith,
11. Drew Mitchell,
10. Quade Cooper,
9. Luke Burgess,
8. Richard Brown,
7. Matt Hodgson,
6. Mitchell Chapman,
5. Dean Mumm (capt),
4. David Dennis,
3. Salesi Ma'afu,
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau,
1. Sekope Kepu.

Res: Pek Cowan, Matt Dunning, Mark Chisholm, Wycliff Palu, Richard Kingi, Matt To'omua, James O'Connor.

Looks a fairly strong mid-week team. Also looks like Cross dropped from test team and JOC (James O'Connor) retained - presumably at 12, pushing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out. Will be interesting to see who is fullback on the weekend.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Re: Wobs team v. Gloucester

The only problem is that they haven't played together, whereas the Glos boys have. Even if they do play a A-minus team.

Checked the Glos website, any news of a team?

Scotty

David Codey (61)

GC,

The other possibility is J'OC retained at 15 with Ioane coming into 13. In fact this is probably more likely than seeing J'OC moved to 12.

G

GC

Scotty said:
GC,

The other possibility is J'OC retained at 15 with Ioane coming into 13. In fact this is probably more likely than seeing J'OC moved to 12.

Diggers needs to be running off someone who can put him in the gap. That isn't AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), who doesn't pass. JOC (James O'Connor) has been a disaster at fullback.

Therefore, you're right, that's what Deans will probably do.

S

Spook

I don't understand the selection of TPN. Does this mean Moore will start against the Poms? I also find it interesting that Cross is playing. Surely he won't be playing against the Poms? Does this mean we will see Britney at 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 and Ioane at 13?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Apparently the game Oz v Gloucester at The Shed is a sell out which is not saying a whole lot because the ground caters for only 16,500.

Gloucester have been disappointing this year and are probably the most under-performing team in the GP.

A couple of weeks ago I saw Biarritz thrash them in an HC game because they had no intensity on defence. That was no disgrace playing away and they had a lot of injuries in the back 5 of the scrum, but their defeat to Wasps 6-35 in the GP at home a week later was an embarrassment. I saw that game and heard the boos.

Oh yeah they had a lot of possession - heaps - but they had no clue about crossing the Wasp goal line.

Then, last Friday, they went down to Bath 23-28. I didn't see this this game but it was not a disgrace either, though another negative attribute from this season, poor discipline, reared its ugly head.

They have some good players such as Wing/15 Tom Voyce, 14 James Simpson-Daniel, 11 Lesley Vainikolo, 10 Nicky Robinson, 7 Andrew Hazell, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, and 3 Greg Somerville. I don't know if they will play 10, Carlos Spencer - but he will be up for it after being out so many weeks with a toe injury. 13. Tindall is injured, again, but he woud not have been available anyway, as England would have claimed him had he been fit.

As for our guys: they would be an OK mid-week team had they played together a bit, but I fear they will find their team work a bit too late. And David Dennis: the mind boggles once more at a 192 cms 104 kg backrower representing the Wallabies as a lock.

Am I the only one objecting?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Lee Grant said:
They have some good players such as Wing/15 Tom Voyce, 14 James Simpson-Daniel, 11 Lesley Vainikolo, 10 Nicky Robinson, 7 Andrew Hazell, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, and 3 Greg Somerville. I don't know if they will play 10, Carlos Spencer - but he will be up for it after being out so many weeks with a toe injury. 13. Tindall is injured, again, but he woud not have been available anyway, as England would have claimed him had he been fit.

Bold 1. Carlos played against Wasps. He was terrible.

Bold 2. No

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)

Lee Grant said:
Apparently the game Oz v Gloucester at The Shed is a sell out which is not saying a whole lot because the ground caters for only 16,500.

Gloucester have been disappointing this year and are probably the most under-performing team in the GP.

A couple of weeks ago I saw Biarritz thrash them in an HC game because they had no intensity on defence. That was no disgrace playing away and they had a lot of injuries in the back 5 of the scrum, but their defeat to Wasps 6-35 in the GP at home a week later was an embarrassment. I saw that game and heard the boos.

Oh yeah they had a lot of possession - heaps - but they had no clue about crossing the Wasp goal line.

Then, last Friday, they went down to Bath 23-28. I didn't see this this game but it was not a disgrace either, though another negative attribute from this season, poor discipline, reared its ugly head.

As for our guys: they would be an OK mid-week team had they played together a bit, but I fear they will find their team work a bit too late. And David Dennis: the mind boggles once more at a 192 cms 104 kg backrower representing the Wallabies as a lock.

I am also concerned about a potential lack of cohesion with two late entries to the side in Smith and To'omua but looking forward to QC (Quade Cooper) and Beale getting a start.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Guess what - I'm going to the match!

Got a press pass so will be rubbing elbows with Grumbles at the pie trough.

Will also try and do a live call and score, so pop by and have a gander, throw in a few comments / questions if you fancy it.

I think this might be a global exclusive? :nta:

Kick off is 6.45 AEST

Go Tyrone!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Spook said:
I don't understand the selection of TPN. Does this mean Moore will start against the Poms? I also find it interesting that Cross is playing. Surely he won't be playing against the Poms? Does this mean we will see Britney at 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 and Ioane at 13?

TPN played less minutes on Saturday, Cross playing could be deemed a dropping or a second chance.

''Ryan didn't have to back up,'' Deans said. ''We could have started Matt To'omua, which we were originally thinking of doing. But it all revolved around how the guys came out of the Tokyo Test. And Ryan expressed an interest to back up as early as a few minutes after the Test.''

Me thinks he knew he was average in the Bled and wanted to get on the field again, not a bad attitude.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

Cross was shown up on the weekend, but what do we expect - he is our third choice 13 and up against one of the best in Smith?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Gagger said:
Guess what - I'm going to the match! Got a press pass so will be rubbing elbows with Grumbles at the pie trough. Will also try and do a live call and a minute-by-minute pie tally. Can I beat him?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

You've set a stiff challenge there Lindo

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Gagger said:
Guess what - I'm going to the match!

Got a press pass so will be rubbing elbows with Grumbles at the pie trough.

Will also try and do a live call and score, so pop by and have a gander, throw in a few comments / questions if you fancy it.

I think this might be a global exclusive? :nta:

Kick off is 6.45 AEST

Go Tyrone!

Are you willing to relay messages to Growden? Couple of insults here and there?

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)

Glos team named - in fact, essentially 'no-names'....

Gloucester Rugby:

Freddie Burns; Charlie Sharples, Henry Trinder, Tim Molenaar, Tom Voyce; Carlos Spencer, Dave Lewis; Paul Doran-Jones, Darren Dawiduik, Pierre Capdevielle; Will James, Adam Eustace; Jake Boer (captain), Akapusi Qera, Dan Williams

Replacements:

Ben Phillips, Rupert Harden, Dave Attwood, Apo Satala, Jordi Pasqualin, Jonny May, James Simpson-Daniel

Scotty

David Codey (61)
''Ryan didn't have to back up,'' Deans said. ''We could have started Matt To'omua, which we were originally thinking of doing. But it all revolved around how the guys came out of the Tokyo Test. And Ryan expressed an interest to back up as early as a few minutes after the Test.''

I guess he was pretty fresh from letting players run straight past or through him and doing next to nothing in attack.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They were never going to play their best players just as the teams we played against last time didn't use their best; and nor will Cardiff risk their stars in few weeks time.

IIRR only 5 of the starting players listed are regular run on players for Gloucester - give or take some allowance for being rested. And whilst Oz will be using a lot of young players they have about 5 themselves, with centre Trinder and winger Sharples being outstanding.

These two lads will be sizing themselves up against the Oz youngsters and thinking: "If these young Aussie blokes are the next cabs off the ranks for the Wallabies how do I compare to them. Am I near to being the next cab off the rank for England?"

A few of the players are wannabies but they will be putting their hand up for more time on the park every weekend.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
From today's Growden
Cross, who had a quiet Tokyo Test as much of the Australian back-line play was surprisingly directed away from the outside centre region, agreed to back up, giving himself a difficult assignment. After playing a full Test match, Cross then took a 13-hour flight from Tokyo to London, and on the day of the game will spend six hours on a bus going to and from the match.
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...-squad-dwindles/2009/11/02/1257010144728.html

How the hell do you get a 6 hour bus ride in the UK? You can almost drive from London to Scotland in that time! If they're playing England this weekend then you'd assume they're staying close to Twickenham, that's 2 hours 10 mins to Gloucester according to google maps...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think he's doing one of those open top double decker buses, hop on and hop off tours. He never made many rep sides playing league and wants to see Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.