• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wobs v. Gloucester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Wouldn't surprise me if Growden has the bus dropping into Calais on the way, the French do a great pastry

M

Mojoman

Good to see King Carlos playing. Wobblies should be far too good for Glos and should win by 20pts.

David Dennis? A club rugby backrower/lock and is now turning out for the Wallabies @ lock :nta: Surely there must've been a better choice?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I lived in London and worked once a week in Coventry for about a year and found the intercity train service excellent, I think it was late on one occasion

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Mojoman said:
Good to see King Carlos playing. Wobblies should be far too good for Glos and should win by 20pts.

David Dennis? A club rugby backrower/lock and is now turning out for the Wallabies @ lock :nta: Surely there must've been a better choice?

Hi Mojoman - good to see you over here.

I saw Carlos play against Wasps after a long break and though he tried to lift his team and was the only guy who seemed to be attempting to do so, it didn't signify much in the result. Biffo said he had a shocker last Friday night against Bath.

Yeah the Wallabies should be far to good as you say but we thought the same in 2006 and our Oz A team got their arses smacked by journeymen and Academy players. If the standard of the Wallabies has deteriorated since the Macqueen era, so has the standard of our A team, which used to be terrific in those days.

Dennis is 192cms tall and weighs 106 kgs. He is a good second rower for Sydney University in Sydney club rugby as they play, in effect, 5 backrowers, but you'd never think of starting him there in a Super14 game. Sure, give him a game because he's in the squad, but what purpose is being served by taking him over there as a lock when any future he has in professional rugby is as a 6.

He won't leave any petrol in the tank though - I'll say that for him.

Oz rugby would have been better served by taking one of our 2009 Schoolboys on tour instead of Dennis. Greg Peterson is 206 cms tall and 115 kgs. At the schools level he plays hard like a Dan Vickerman. I'm not saying that he should have gone on tour, as I would have sent a journeyman lock, but in my eyes the choice of Dennis was that bizarre that another bizarre choice to play in a mid-week game would have served Oz rugby better.

Incidentally, Peterson has been picked up by the Tahs for their professional Academy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Steady on. Eales was an athletic freak.

I was just pointing out that Peterson would be a better pick for the tour than Dennis, so bizarre was his selection, and my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

As I said on the players for Melbourne thread: I am very shy of nominating schoolboy tall timber players for future honours as many recent promising schools TTPs have not stepped up to senior rugby, let alone professional rugby.

Having said that I think he will do OK in the S14 in a couple of years time as he has a bit of bulk about him without being awkward, has good hands for the lineout on both touchlines and is not afraid of a contest. He's in the professional Academy of the Tahs; so they must be thinking along the same lines as I am.

Early days for assessing him properly, but I am going to be pissed of if he is a dud.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No news - they're just doing conditioning work anyway.

I'll wander down to Moore Park after their Xmas break and report.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
No news - they're just doing conditioning work anyway.

I'll wander down to Moore Park after their Xmas break and report.

You might see me there.

S

Spook

Superb work by Gags and his crew on the commentary for the game.

Wayne Smith reckons Quade is the man:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26303421-2722,00.html

Cooper was the bane of the Gloucester defence and if he wasn't threatening them with his dazzling running game and deadly short offloads, he was opening them up on the flanks with his Stephen Larkham-like long passes.

“He grew in stature as the match went on and he gave our game some shape,” enthused Deans, who especially was impressed with Cooper's solid defence and near-flawless goalkicking, his only miss coming when he failed to convert his own solo try in the 78th minute.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Spook said:
Superb work by Gags and his crew on the commentary for the game.

Wayne Smith reckons Quade is the man:

Sounds like he had a blinder. Good on him.

Where can I find Gagger's commentary??

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gagger's commentry implies that Ma'afu really struggled. Wayne Smith implies the scrum was rock solid with a single brief comment. I believe Gagger who was commenting on the game as it went.

Would be interested to know how the scrum differed when Dunning replaced Ma'afu. Ma'afu also struggled in the S14 technically this year - he still needs a lot of work I think.

Lee: try hitting shift+f5?

S

Spook

Gags said scrum was bad initially then tightened up. After Dunning came on, I think he said it got better again.

Ma'afu needs a lot of work.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
in the words of Gagger

All times are in AEDST.
1st Half 7:47am -> 8:34am
2nd Half 8:43am -> 9:29am

The Score
7:51 QC (Quade Cooper) slots it. 0-3 to wallabies after 5 min
8:01 2m out and Aus win a penalty. QC (Quade Cooper) cross kicks to Ryan X who scores. QC (Quade Cooper) converts, 0-10 after 14mn
8:13 Carlos kicks cross field, Sharples takes the kick, passes out of Shmoos tackle and Burns scores in the corner! CS

misses the conversion and it's 5-10 after 26min
8:19 Aussie scrum on the 30m. Ryan X straight through middle, offlaods to Tyrone who scores! QC (Quade Cooper) slots and its

5-17 with 9 to go in the first half .
9:23 Wobbs go wide with trademark pass from QC (Quade Cooper). Shuffle it through Cross, KB (Kurtley Beale) who draws his man and then Mitchell runs

over Johnny May to score.
8:34 HALF TIME: GLOS 5 – WALLABIES 17
9:10 Quick lineout to Burgess who makes a break from own 22, offloads to Dave Dennis who runs 50m, does an in and out

and puts Shmoo over! QC (Quade Cooper) converts 5-24 with 14 to go
9:23 Wobbs go wide with trademark pass from QC (Quade Cooper). Shuffle it through Cross, KB (Kurtley Beale) who draws his man and then Mitchell runs

over Johnny May to score. QC (Quade Cooper) converts, 5-31 after 75 min
9:27 Glocs hacks away, QC (Quade Cooper) fields on Glocs 40m, has 4 men outside and then does a classic QC (Quade Cooper) jink through the middle of

the defence to score untouched. Misses conversion, Glocs 5 – Aus 36 after 79min.

Gagger's Half Time Wrap
Australia's lineout was a shambles. Our scrum looked shaky at first but firmed up later in the half. The Wallabies really

committed to breakdwon and muscled up well in general play. Hodgson and Chapman are having good games, and TPN is

absolutely on fire in the loose. Burgo is playing well and Cross looks a notch above. Neither Mitchell nor Turner have

done anyhting amazing.

The scoreline flatters the Wallabies at this stage, and if Glocs hadn't butchered their midfield passing they would have

crossed on a few occasions. The Wallaby backline is bunching up, and getting caught out by Glocs counter-attack.

Gloucester haven’t kicked for poles yet, instead choosing to pass on 4 kickable attempts.

Scrum
7:55 Penalty to Glos for wheeling. AND THERES A SCRAP!
7:55 GLOS TIGHTHEAD ON THE MAAFU
7:57 Penalty to Wallabies for Glocs dropping
8:04 Glos get scrum penalty against Maafu on Aussie feed.
8:09 Scrum goes to shit, but Aussies keep feed
8:10 Another scrum reset. This is messy
8:11 Hard to tell what’s wrong with the scrums from here, but suspicious of Maafu
8:19 Aussie scrum on the 30m. Ryan X straight through middle, offlaods to Tyrone who scores!
8:23 Aussies pressure the scrum on the 5, and then bully the breakdown for a turnover.
8:27 Pek Cowan on for TPN!
8:29 Aus scrum 25m out with 1 min left in half
8:46 Glos scrum putting a load of pressure on
8:52 Aus get penalty at scrum. Clear to 40m
8:53 Matt Dunning on for Ma'afu!
9:03 TPN not properly injured, just blood
9:17 Scrum has improved
9:17 Aus win scrum on 10m. Quade then clears to 15m
9:19 Maafu back on for Kepu. Glocs taking scrum on 10m for penalty
9:21 Glocs scrum clearly got the better of that, but wallabies manage to scramble it
9:22 WBs scrum on Glos 40m. 5 to go

Lineout
7:50 Aussie lineut miss but somehow regather. GLocs pinged for coming around the side.
7:57 Another fucked Aus lineout1!
8:04 Aussies take lineout, and Beales puts down into corner. Aussie lineout scarppy. Scrum feed to Aus.
8:46 Aus lineout on own 40m, Scrappy win
8:54 Lineout not straight. Glos scrum, but 9 gets isolated on a dart and penalt
9:06 Another nice throw from Cowan. Glos charges through and knocks down again
9:11 Pek throws one perfectly, just not straight
9:11 Glos lineout of Wobbs 30m

Crowd
7:39 Looking like a full house, which is close to 16,500
7:45 Crowd is 16,121 plus a few extras in the shed

Gloucester
7:42 Carlos looking pretty gnarly these day, bit of a bum type vibe
7:49 Glocs go wide but flat and ushered into touch
8:04 Glos 6 cocks up and knocks into touch.
8:05 Spencer clears to Aus 40m
8:08 Glos win penalty and kick to corner, Lineout not straight
8:12 Glocs penalty from rolling maul. Tap n go. 1m short
8:13 Carlos kicks cross field, Sharples takes the kick, passes out of Shmoos tackle and Burns scores in the corner!
8:14 Carlos misses its 5-10 after 26min
8:25 Game gone helter skelter, but all in Glos half.
8:26 Finally a proper break down on the 50m. Glos get penalty. Lineout on 22
8:27 Gloucester backline passing really letting them down. Keep bombing space out wide
8:45 Change in Glocs 2nd row. Attwood on for Eustace
8:46 Glos scrum putting a load of pressure on

8:51 Glos pen, kicked to Aus 22.
Glos 9 goes straight through but they bomb it out wide again.
Penalty for offside, they take the scrum 5 out
8:52 Glos get forced backwards and end up coughing it up 20m out.
8:56 Simpson Daniel about to come on
8:57 Glos on own 22
9:00 Glos puts ball into touch 1m out
9:03 Glos still on AUS 22
9:05 Yep, been all Glos for last 20min
9:08 Glos attacking deep in Aus half
9:09 Glos stuff another 3 on 2
9:12 Dan Williams for Glos came off a while back. Satala on
9:13 Dave Lewis on for Pasqualin
9:15 Glos on attack 10m out, Crowd goes Beresk
9:15 Lock knocks it on out wide, 10m out
9:15 Whole second half been played in Aus half
9:21 King Carlos as well and truly kept out of the way of any tackles this game

Quade
7:48 Aussie kick off and Glocs return. Bit helter skelter at the back between beale and QC (Quade Cooper)
7:51 Quade lining up for penalty 30m out, 10 in from halfway on the right
7:51 QC (Quade Cooper) slots it. 0-3 to wallabies after 5 min
7:58 Aus win it at breakdown but QC (Quade Cooper) skews it sideways of his boot and into touch on halfway
8:01 2m out and Aus win a penalty. QC (Quade Cooper) cross kicks to Ryan X who scores. QC (Quade Cooper) converts
0-10 after 14mn
8:19 QC (Quade Cooper) slots and its 5-17 with 9 to go in the first half
8:54 Quade clears to Glos 40m
9:17 Aus win scrum on 10m. Quade then clears to 15m
9:27 Glocs hacks away, QC (Quade Cooper) fields on Glocs 40m, has 4 men outside and then does a classic QC (Quade Cooper) jink through the middle of

the defence to score untouched. Misses conversion, Glocs 5 – Aus 36 after 79minz

Mitchell
7:49 Shmoo Mitchell fields on Aus 40m , and kicks straight out

TPN
8:00 WBs counterattackk through MItchell, Burgess makes a break and then offlaods to TPN who runs 50m, sidestepping

the fullback as he goes.

Beale
8:06 Aussies rip another breakdown, go wide but Beale puts out on the full
8:55 Beale anonymous at the moment
8:56 I say that and then KB (Kurtley Beale) puts in good cross field

Tyrone
8:19 Aussie scrum on the 30m. Ryan X straight through middle, offlaods to Tyrone who scores!
8:58 Unfortunately T Smith not standing out

Wallabies general play
8:08 Aussie defence and breakdown knowck glos back 10, but then get pinged for going off feet
8:16 Glos going nowhere, Burgo steals, QC (Quade Cooper) kicks to 40m
8:21 Great Aussie interplay between fwds and backs goes 50 m and Mumms knocks it on 2m out
8:22 Starts when Burgess gathers, hugs touchline, offloads to TPN, quade gets involved. All looking sharp
8:23 Aussies pressure the scrum on the 5, and then bully the breakdown for a turnover.
Aussies very committed at breakdown and looking sharp
8:44 Mumm immediately misses re-start
8:47 Aus penalty at breakdown
8:49 A lot of toing and froing around half way line
8:49 Both backlines keen to kick wide rather than pass
8:55 Dick Brown goes straight through but balls get spilt
8:58 Kick-aton breaks out.
Eventually ref gets in way Aus scrum on own 40
9:04 Aus get another turnover, and then Glocs manage to knock it down. Aus scrum on half way
9:06 Aus get penalty for hands. QC (Quade Cooper) kicks to the 22
9:08 Wallabies looking knackered
9:10 Quick lineout to Burgess who makes a break from own 22, offloads to Dave Dennis who runs 50m, does and in and out

and puts Shmoo over! QC (Quade Cooper) converts 5-24 with 14 to go
9:14 Lakky T almost plucks an i ntercept but cant hold on
9:15 Whole second half been played in Aus half
9:21 Glocs kick to ingoal. WBs drop out

over Johnny May to score
9:26 Tyrone hacks down sideline from 30m, Drew chases on, picks up, passes to Burgo who does a 1-2 with Tryone, but

defence gets baack just in time
9:29 Final flourishes around the half way mark, Glos kick to ingoal, QC (Quade Cooper) dots down and ITS FULL TIME.
GLOUCESTER 5 – WALLABIES 36

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Guys - have put a podcast on the blog with further thoughts, will try and get back with more tomorrow.

But the scrums were moving all over the place, with or without Friar Tuck.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that Gagger - top stuff. Thanks Moses or posting it in this thread. I couldn't get it on the blog page.

Looks like the score flattered the Aussies, the set pieces were crap, Cooper had a blinder, Gloucester were their own worst enemies, the crowd enjoyed to the extent they could from a loss. Defence must have been decent from Oz too.

Gloucester fans must be wondering where their next win is coming from.

Did you get any feedback from the locals, Gaggs?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the 'pod cast' is awesome and well worth the listen. You won't get better coverage of this game anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.