• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
The reality is that we haven't attracted girls to Rugby in the way that other sports have under the traditional participation models.[...] As they say, If you keep doing the same thing then that is exactly what you will get.
Fair point and very true.

They have seen the lessons from Cricket and Volleyball who have struggled to control, own and nuture product variants to their game.
Can you expand on this for my interest?

A look at the IRB plan for women shows how heavily the strategy is weighted towards 7s with only minimal mention of existing 15s playing structures. The focus is mainly on children, youths and 7s.
If you look at the strategies and directions of Asia-Pacific Rugby the focus is very much on Women and 7s.
Sure, but what we are arguing here is whether that is the 'right' thing to do in some sense. Unless you are pointing out that we should be interfacing with Asia, being the most convenient countries to play rugby with, and they see a shorter catch-up in 7s and particularly in women's.

The biggest kick Women's Rugby will get in Australia from a financial and public profile perspective is for the Women to win a Gold Medal in 2016. That is something that AFL, League and even Netball cannot offer and it will have a big influence on government, corporate, ARU and the hearts and minds of young girls who want an elite sports career.
Yep, absolutely. The Olympics will be a fantastic thing.

My experience is that the younger girls (8-12) enjoy the faster 7s/tag/touch game with more space and time to begin to develop game awareness, especially with the option to have rolling substitutions and the lower intensity of contact as they develop confidence. They are coached contact skills and disciplines through their progressing experience (you can have the greatest coaches in the world, and girls/women are much more attuned to instruction than boys/men but what all players want to do is get on the paddock and learn from their mistakes, and successes)

I find this the best argument for 7s - it fast tracks learning for newer players (including much older than 8-12) because, in short, the less people on the field the more time you spend with the ball or somehow involved. And the tournament format gives you a short feedback/improvement loop (have seen this a lot with other sports as well).

But I actually think you are wrong about the contact stuff. I don't think it's 'lower intensity' in 7s - tackles don't happen as often, nor rucks with many people, but a lot of tackles happen between two people running at top speed - and frankly that's scary. In 15s the run up tends to be less. And I'm not so sure that the best way to learn contact skills is on the paddock, in either form of the game. But I could be wrong.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
More mud on the pitch makes the tackle/contact learning curve more fun! ( I have that on good authority!!)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well I'm venturing back into this thread to throw a question your way Amanda - for when you have time to answer it. What the hell is going on with your ACT 15's girls? A fair few of my team mates play for NSW Country Women's who recently beat ACT 18-12. Quite a few of the NSW Country girls were the same as in the team last year that were beaten 39-14 by the ACT. Honest question - have NSW Country improved or have ACT dropped off? Or has there been a turn over of players for ACT?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fox sports showing NSW Women's League & their coach Piggy Riddell & one of the women's league players - talking about women's league in NSW. Their 'women in league' will be featuring the women who play as well as the women who volunteer.

Rugby could learn from this when it comes to celebrating the women involved in the sport that it is players as well as women volunteers. Learning a thing or to from League - sad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What support, if any, does Women's Rugby get from ARU?

Browsing through the posts here it seems that it is almost totally reliant on local volunteers at club and district level.

With an Olympic Gold for 7's up for grabs in 2016, I would have thought that it is almost too late by now if we don't already have a decent (and resourced) strategy and plan in place for our tilt at Olympic Gold.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Australian Women's 7's team now have a full time coach, in Chris Lane. They are starting to play regularly in a number of tournaments and I am sure they have identified a core group of players for the squad. This group will no doubt change before the games in 2016 but it allow for a long lead in prep for the players and competition for places in the squad should improve the level of performance. If the program is run well it should pay off come medal time as I think the Women are much more of a chance of winning Gold than the men.

On the 15's front I think the ARU do nothing. They have no games at National level and have scrapped the national champs so there isn't an official rep program to my knowledge, others with more knowledge may be able to give more detail. You would think that if the ARU were going to take the game seriously for women they would have an employee to look after the women's team and oversee development and a rep program. With the complete disregard they show I am surprised that someone hasn't tried to form their own union. I think this is how it is run in England and they seem to have some great programs in place.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
snip...

On the 15's front I think the ARU do nothing. They have no games at National level and have scrapped the national champs so there isn't an official rep program to my knowledge, others with more knowledge may be able to give more detail. You would think that if the ARU were going to take the game seriously for women they would have an employee to look after the women's team and oversee development and a rep program. With the complete disregard they show I am surprised that someone hasn't tried to form their own union. I think this is how it is run in England and they seem to have some great programs in place.

Yep, on the 15's front pretty much nada by what I know. There are no games at national level as far as I know either but I don't see any reason why women's Rugby can't organise a few touring teams. We were able to get a Canadian school girls team to come to Newcastle to play our local school girls combined side so I don't see why the same thing can't be done at National level.

Agree re employee to over see it all plus a rep program. We should ideally have someone for that sort of thing.

I think there may be a bit of a fear about organising the women's 15's alone away from the ARU but I guess as it stands it would make no difference. I would stay connected to the ARU as a token connection, rather than burn a bridge entirely regardless of how useless that bridge is, & at the same time start to make inroads into self-management (as is already happening to some degree).

Although Nationals was scrapped it still essentially exists but is organised by the women's rugby organisations so maybe that is a sign self-organisation is possible.

Personally I think England's situation is different to ours, more players, more money. I believe women's rugby here needs to look into simple recruitment at grass roots level (as I'm trying to organise in my local area in the off-season) just normal ads in small suburban newspapers - for some reason we've abandoned this simple yet effective way of recruitment. The more women involved the more likely some of them will know or be related people in local business that would be in a position to help fund & build the game which will then make the rep side of things stronger. My opinion has always been that if you have a very strong grass roots level then the rep side of things takes care of itself.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip...
My opinion has always been that if you have a very strong grass roots level then the rep side of things takes care of itself.

Agree. Another if you build it they will come supporter.

There are several rather high profile females involved in Business and Politics: The GG, PM, various Ministers federal and state, Gael Kelly, Gina H, Janet Holmes a Court etc (not to mention plenty in law, academics, medical and local government/council fields). Somehow you've got to orchestrate thier involvement even if it is only a photo opportunity, letter of encouragement or patronage of a club or team.

Invoking the Sisterhood may assist to raise the profile at grass roots level. I am sure that there are plenty of "sisters" who may want to jump on a bandwagon of a successful female grass roots sporting endeavour. Any support is better then none.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the ARU is an easy target here. Relatively they have done more for women in Rugby than any state body or club.
They have to answer to the ASC and the AOC so they would get hammered if there was inequity.
If competition managers made women's Rugby a priority there would be more teams. Clubs need to have their equity and social inclusiveness brought into question when hey apply for/receive government or union funding.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Here's why I love women's rugby.

The Uni girls were getting taped when they realised the Souths Colts 2 side didn't have a huge amount of support. So the girls went to tunnel on the Colts 2 side of another club. It may be the only time the Souths Colts 2 side has been tunnelled onto a field this year, but it is definitely the first time the Souths Colts 2 side has been cheered on to the field by the women's team of a different club to them.

Girls tunnel.jpgBaby on hit shield.jpg

The second photo is the most innovative use of a hit shield I have seen at the rugby. Mum is a former elite rugby player, and Dad is a coach.

It was ladies day at Sunnybank, and a little gloss was taken off by the women's game being held on Field 3; given that both sides had Australian and Queensland representatives playing, it would've been fantastic to see them recognised as players, not simply supporters of the men's teams, by playing on the main field.

But the girls were just happy to get a game, and we all enjoyed the twitter commentary of Rebecca Tavo, Aus Women's 7s captain, who was watching the game. As far as the result went, I believe Sunnybank won quite convincingly, but, as usual, I didn't pay enough attention to the scoreline.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the ARU Media Unit:
Australian Rugby Union today announced a new partnership with UN Women Australia allowing the two organisations to work closely on raising awareness about the role women play in leadership and sport.
The partnership will also have ARU and UN Women Australia driving support to ensure young men and women are provided with the skills, knowledge and experience necessary to become leaders in their communities, workplaces and families.
ARU Managing Director and CEO, John O’Neill AO, welcomed the new partnership.
“I am delighted we have formed a partnership that will help us build the profile of women, both in sport and in the area of community leadership,” Mr O’Neill said.
“Rugby is a sport for men and women across multiple tiers in our game, from grassroots development to the elite level.
“This has never been more evident than with the inclusion of Rugby Sevens – for men and women – to the Olympic Games calendar from 2016.
“It is important that we continue to raise awareness about the opportunities that Rugby presents both sexes and to women in particular on and off the field.
“Working with UN Women Australia will allow us to continue to build the profile of Women’s Rugby Sevens and to promote women’s participation in Rugby as administrators, members, leaders, players and supporters.”
ARU will also support the expansion of UN Women Australia’s activities and fundraising through the promotion of annual International Women’s Day celebrations and by supporting the growth of UN Women Australia’s Young Women’s Leadership programs. .
Executive Director of UN Women Australia, Julie McKay, welcomed the new partnership and said the collaboration would benefit both organisations.
‘We are extremely pleased to have ARU come on board as an official partner of UN Women Australia,” Ms McKay said.
“Rugby Union is a sport that connects communities in our region and globally and through this partnership we will work together to advance gender equality by using sport as a vehicle for driving social change.
“This is an exciting new venture for UN Women Australia and we look forward to working with ARU to further our shared goal of increasing public discussion and debate about women in leadership and sport.”

About UN Women Australia:
UN Women Australia is the National Committee for UN Women in Australia and is one of 18 National Committees globally including the USA, UK, Sweden and Canada.
The National Committees support UN Women through membership programs, raising public awareness of gender and development issues and fundraising for UN Women projects around the world.
Since its inception in 1989, UN Women Australia (formerly UNIFEM Australia) has grown significantly and now includes the National Office in Canberra, as well as UN Women Australia Sub-Committees, IWD Committees and Young UN Women Australia Chapters.
UN Women Australia is an active contributor to UN activities relating to gender equality and development. The organisation sends a delegation to the annual UN Commission on the Status of Women, including a Youth Delegate chosen each year to represent the voice of young Australian women.
For more information on UN Women Australia please visit www.unwomen.org.au

Source: http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/7095/Default.aspx

Will the rhetoric be met with action?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
From the ARU Media Unit:

Source: http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/7095/Default.aspx

Will the rhetoric be met with action?

That is the million dollar question Jarse. Nice words from JON but yet again this just favours the shorter form of the game. Plenty of women won't see any benefit from this if that is where its attention will be. I know, I know, broken record, but I'd be less like that is most of the news surrounding support for women's Rugby actually benefited the whole & not just the same part over & over again.

That being said it would be nice to gain a partnership as mentioned in the article. It could always branch out.

I think I'm beginning to get turned around to this "women do the self governance for women's rugby" idea some have been throwing around.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That is the million dollar question Jarse. Nice words from JON but yet again this just favours the shorter form of the game. Plenty of women won't see any benefit from this if that is where its attention will be. I know, I know, broken record, but I'd be less like that is most of the news surrounding support for women's Rugby actually benefited the whole & not just the same part over & over again.

That being said it would be nice to gain a partnership as mentioned in the article. It could always branch out.

I think I'm beginning to get turned around to this "women do the self governance for women's rugby" idea some have been throwing around.
I think from a 15's point of view this might be the best way to get some action. If there was someone who looked after the women's game I am sure they would be able to arrange some test matches to be played as well as a national championship.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Without women's leadership off the field, junior village club rugby in Sydney would be a complete buggers muddle.

Like the home, males tend to take all the glory, but let there should be no misunderstanding, the Rugby Family owes a huge debt to the leadership and passion of Sydney's Rugby Mum's. It is not only in the areas of running the Canteen and BBQ, but there are numerous Club Presidents, and District Officials along with Competition managers.

IIRC Kerry Brady runs the Junior State Championships for NSWJRU, and has had senior positions at Beasts Rugby Club.

I would like to see a programme in place to get more female referees out there.

Unfortunately I do not think that many of the bigwigs in rugbyland actually understand how much women already do to support our game.

If ARU were serious, they should look at female representation on some of the Boards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hodgo, the men of Sydney Uni might get the glory, but by jinkers they cop some incoming grief on these boards to go with all that success. :)

Bloody top effort being undefeated for so long.

A mate of mine who referees is occasionally appointed to referee Women's games. He reckons that they are as tough and competitive as when we used to play back in the 80's. Keep it up.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodgo, the men of Sydney Uni might get the glory, but by jinkers they cop some incoming grief on these boards to go with all that success. :)

Bloody top effort being undefeated for so long.

A mate of mine who referees is occasionally appointed to referee Women's games. He reckons that they are as tough and competitive as when we used to play back in the 80's. Keep it up.

Hugh a mate of mine at Newcastle Uni who plays for the mens Premier one side said to me that after watching me & the girls play a recent game that he's convinced a player would have to literally kill another player to get red carded - in the women's game. We seem to have a lot of calls be quite lenient sometimes.

We also have a female ref who refs both mens & womens games - she is really good. I reckon we may have a few more go into it in the future.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/7193/Default.aspx

This article is about Ann Sherry, 1st woman to be appointed to the ARU. I just saw an interview of her on Fox sports. I am cautiously optimistic as she talked about developing both the traditional and shorter forms of Rugby - which is certainly a change of pace!

Brings back a flicker of hope I have for the ARU regarding managing the women's side of the game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
She look's like a great addition to the board. A history of advocating for the rights of women is a skill set that will be put to great use at the ARU.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
She look's like a great addition to the board. A history of advocating for the rights of women is a skill set that will be put to great use at the ARU.

And you read about it here from Nostradamus Jarse. :)

Lucky guess, or do the ARU read G&GR?

About bloody time. Here's hoping that Ann will make a difference, and not get sucked into the great morass of mediocracy that is Rugby Bureaucracy in Australia.

Next step representation on NSW and Tah boards.

...snip... Unfortunately I do not think that many of the bigwigs in rugbyland actually understand how much women already do to support our game.

If ARU were serious, they should look at female representation on some of the Boards.[/quote]