• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Uni v Sunnybank game was recorded. I'm negotiating to get a highlights package made to post up with the 3rd tier post, but not sure if I'll be quick enough. If not, I'll post into here.
From what I hear it was a very good game Cat. After one of the Sunnybank tries some of the guys watching were overheard to say that they couldn't do what the women just did.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
It started out looking like the Sunnybank girls were going to give our girls a hiding, but then the Uni girls worked back into it. I was strapping at the time, so I'm not 100% sure on the score, but I think it ended up 2 tries to 1? Considering its been 4 weeks since the last game, I think the girls showed they should be on the main field a little more often.

Jets can you please see if you can get a copy of the team list so I can (hopefully) put some names to numbers if we do get some highlights up? I can't promise quick, but I am remarkably persistent... ;)

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Wow- the QRU could teach some errmm... "National Sporting Bodies" a thing or two about updating women's rugby info.... Awesome!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is a link to an article on the recent country champs (NSW, 15's) http://www.northerndailyleader.com....nd-daughter-in-union/2570460.aspx?storypage=0 that took place this weekend just gone (it is about a mother-daughter combo but it talks about the country champ comp too). It shows the results of the Hunter A side only that took out the comp. The games were 2x20min halves with a 2min break between halves. Teams were Hunter A, Hunter B (or Development, or Devo's side), Central North & Central West. Hunter A won all games with no tries scored against them but were IMO put under the pump from their fellow Hunter side - Hunter B. 3 Hunter A tries approx came only from Hunter B mistakes, the other tries however were very well executed. Hunter B came very close to going over for a try on a few occasions & showed gutsy defence & strong scrummaging. I was one of the experienced players playing in the Hunter B side & I was very pleased with the effort - but really pissed off because I really wanted us to go over for at least one try! :mad: but still very happy with the effort. Score certainly did not reflect the game. I was one of 3 players that did not get benched & played all x3 games which is why I was one sore human after Saturday.

Summary (not sure of the scores not mentioned in the article but...)
Hunter A, won all games
Central West, beat Hunter B & Central North, lost to Hunter A
Hunter B, beat Central North, lost to Central West & Hunter B
Central North, lost all games but put up a massive effort & have improved since last time

Word at the ground is that work is underway to get a New England side involved which would be tops.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank followed up their win over University on Saturday by defeating the Touring British Army team 15 - 12.
The girls dominated through the backs and on broken driving ruck play while doing enough to match it up front against the much bigger Army girls.
As previously said the focus on 7s has developed a much more active, physical and skillful player than 15s would alone.
There were a number of professional male players in attendance who all appreciated the game and the level of continuity displayed by the Sunnybank girls. One of the current Reds even took the time to post his appreciation on Facebook.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank defeated the British Army Women's team last night 15-12 at Oldmac. It's good to see that they are going out of their way to play extra games and gain a new experience. Will benefit all involved in the long run.
Also good to see Reds EPS player Albert Anae was there to support the girls.
The Army team also played a Sydney select team last week with the locals coming away with a 22-20 victory.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sunnybank followed up their win over University on Saturday by defeating the Touring British Army team 15 - 12.
The girls dominated through the backs and on broken driving ruck play while doing enough to match it up front against the much bigger Army girls.
As previously said the focus on 7s has developed a much more active, physical and skillful player than 15s would alone.
There were a number of professional male players in attendance who all appreciated the game and the level of continuity displayed by the Sunnybank girls. One of the current Reds even took the time to post his appreciation on Facebook.

Oh please. Another thread bites the dust.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only because you seem determined to disregard a development pathway.

I don't think that she is determined to disregard a development pathway. AngrySeahorse is just like a lot of us that prefer 15's to 7's. I am one of the women who was not/am not cut from the 7's mold. Therefore have no interest in it. I find in 7's, men and women, all the players are cut from the same cloth and you don't get the skills differences accross the team that you get in a 15 game.

Now I appreciate that we have to start somewhere, and that the 7's does at least introduce the girls to the game of rugby and yes appears to be leading to more involvement in the 15 a-side format. The problem I see though is that you get these girls all excited, they want to play 15's or have a go......... but the only support is for 7's. We have to make sure that this does not happen.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's great to see passionate argument between the women on the relative merits of 15s and 7s. Just to declare an interest, my involvement is very much with the main game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I never said that 7's was the be all and end all. My point was that 7's is a great entry to the game for a certain percentage of players. It also teaches them a lot of skills that make them better 15's players. It is not suited for all 15's players though.
I much prefer 15 a side rugby due to the ability to play varying styles to suite the make up of your team. Unfortunately there is no current pathway for Women's players down this track. The National Championships need to be reintroduced in to the calendar and the Wallaroo's need to play in regular competition against NZ and other Pacific countries. I also think a November tour to Europe, Asia or North America should happen every 2 years, ideally annually.
Currently though 7's is where all of the effort is going. I understand this to some extent as from my point of view we have a much better chance of winning Olympic gold with the Women's than the Men's. If this does happen I am sure interest in the Women's game will grow.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It might not really belong in this thread but I believe that rules are there to be ignored - moderators likewise.

Check out this great blog:

imsorrywhatnow: I'm sorry what now?

It's written by our very own Cat_A (@Catriona_A). She's only just started writing it but it should soon attract a wide readership. Her essays combine a perceptive and unique take on contemporary society with razor sharp wit.

It may eventually lead to a change in career: it's that good. I've put a link to it on my MyoQuip blog to help publicise it.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
It is amusing how so many people see 7s as either a threat or only as a feeder/development system to 15s.
I understand the strong emotional and traditional attachments to many elements of Rugby. I fully understand this as things such as touring, drinking with mates and opposition, playing club Rugby with Wallabies the day after a test match etc are all things that brought me to the game.
The problem with most things in life is that the myth of tradition will always make way for the commercial reality.
The reality is that we haven't attracted girls to Rugby in the way that other sports have under the traditional participation models.
The IRB has identified and invested heavily in the Olympics and 7s Rugby as a way to increase the Rugby pie. They have seen the lessons from Cricket and Volleyball who have struggled to control, own and nuture product variants to their game.
http://www.irb.com/mm/document/newsmedia/mediazone/02/06/11/47/120229ljwomensstrategyplanv9.pdf
A look at the IRB plan for women shows how heavily the strategy is weighted towards 7s with only minimal mention of existing 15s playing structures. The focus is mainly on children, youths and 7s.
For Rugby to grow for men and women, Asia and Americas is the key both from a population and economic perspective. Australia is tied heavily to the Asia-Pacific region.
If you look at the strategies and directions of Asia-Pacific Rugby the focus is very much on Women and 7s.
Canada for example fund a large part of their Rugby program from the funding their women's 7s team gets from the Olympic "Own the Podium" program, about $800K/year. They are real medal prospects while the men don't get a dime currently from this.
There will be Asian Rugby Union Women's tournaments in Borneo and Singapore in conjuction with invitational club tournaments for men. Asian nations such as China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Khazikstan all have strong investments in their women through 7s.
From a technical viewpoint NZ have demonstrated how the 2 forms can exist in synergy for the benefit of both and both genders.
The biggest kick Women's Rugby will get in Australia from a financial and public profile perspective is for the Women to win a Gold Medal in 2016. That is something that AFL, League and even Netball cannot offer and it will have a big influence on government, corporate, ARU and the hearts and minds of young girls who want an elite sports career.
Who knows, they can probably play in the 15s' Women's RWC.
As they say, If you keep doing the same thing then that is exactly what you will get.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
My experience is that the younger girls (8-12) enjoy the faster 7s/tag/touch game with more space and time to begin to develop game awareness, especially with the option to have rolling substitutions and the lower intensity of contact as they develop confidence. They are coached contact skills and disciplines through their progressing experience ( you can have the greatest coaches in the world, and girls/women are much more attuned to instruction than boys/men but what all players want to do is get on the paddock and learn from their mistakes, and successes)
A great intermediary which helps is 10s (5 forwards and 5 backs) - a new level where looking for space and support is even more important and more 15s style disciplines are learnt.
I personally prefer 15s but given than the girls/women often start from a disadvantage of experience and exposure to opportunities I'd offer the thought that an open attitude to development options is the best idea. We enter our club's u15/u18s girls in 7s and 10s tournaments and play our main seasonal fixtures at as close to 15 a side as possible. This moves to just 15s for county and regional, but once on the RFUW "elite" pathway the girls are encouraged to play 7s, 10s and 15s to give rounded experience and allow the coaches to understand the environment where each girls' skill sets flourish. The coaches can then build on the strengths and work on improvements.
Regardless of the numbers, getting them out on the pitch chucking the egg and having fun with their mates is the main idea isn't it?

Oh, and don't forget - Women are much more adaptable and capable of multitasking depending on what's put in front of them!!

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Any news on how UQ went against the British Army team last night?

Not great Jets- a bit cobbled together since Redlands pulled out at the last minute & our girls stepped in. The Brits were a very organised outfit, both on- and off-field I'll be interested to see how the girls go this weekend (if there will be a game given the weather) because that'll be 3 games in 7 days.

It's almost at the point with women's rugby in Brisbane where you say yes to any game you can get, since the draw has been all over the place, and you never know when a team will forfeit.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They probably suffered a bit on the back of the Brits loosing on Monday night at Sunnybank and wanting to bounce back.