• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it might be "pester power" but I don't care! Nice to see them treated like a sporting team.
Was probably easier to set up the account than having to reply to your tweets Cat. Lets hope that they use it to promote the game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Some press on Women's rugby, schoolgirls to be precise.
Sevens heaven: schoolgirls try to tackle rugby stereotypes​

Dominic Bossi

March 13, 2012

ipad-art-wide-3_RugbySchool-420x0.jpg

Having a ball … Australia and Waratahs winger Drew Mitchell watches as the Prairiewood High School girls show off their skills yesterday morning in Wetherill Park. Photo: Nick Moir
THE first thing the girls at Prairiewood High School in Wetherill Park do at 7am on a Monday morning is flock to the school's rugby union program in the hope of forming one of the first schoolgirls sevens teams in NSW.
While the team does not have any opponents to play, the 70 girls from years 7 to 11 will stick with the sport which is giving them greater self-confidence - and carries the prospect of competing at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Since the program began last month, the participation rate has more than doubled as the girls are flourishing in a sport traditionally dominated by men.
''Personally I love the tackling, it's so fun. You can take out your anger, but that's not the point of it,'' year 11 student Stefanie Italiano said. ''I like expressing myself through sports and I'm not exactly the most confident person, so this is a great way to boost your self esteem and a different way of expressing yourself.''
With the introduction of womens' sevens rugby in the 2016 Olympics, the growth of the game is being strongly endorsed by the Australian Rugby Union, which visited the school yesterday.
But the girls maintain their immediate priorities are to have fun and prove they can be just as good as their male counterparts.
''Mainly it's because we want to break that stereotypical barrier, so we've done that to show that we are able to do it,'' year 9 student Alice Tieu said.
The girls are being encouraged by their school, which is trying to alleviate parents' concerns about the dangers associated with the game. As sevens rugby does not pose the same ruck and maul dangers as the 15-a-side game, Prairiewood staff believe it is no more dangerous than other more typical female sports.
''Netball causes more knee and ankle injuries than any other sport, so if you play netball, you're already playing a more dangerous sport,'' coach Jarred Hodges said.
New principal Alan Maclean will continue to support the initiative and promote the safety of the sport.
''I think a lot of families and parents would feel that getting their girls involved in rugby is not what they would normally want because they see it as a men's sport,'' he said. ''I think programs like this, showing the fitness and fun side of it, is a way to alleviate some concerns.''
The only competitive game time these girls could experience this year will be in a one-off gala day, although a handful of the school's best will be eligible for a combined NSW team that will take part in the annual interstate competition on the Gold Coast.

more:
http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/sevens-heaven-schoolgirls-try-to-tackle-rugby-stereotypes-20120312-1uwio.html#ixzz1pWDHMLIj

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
So how are we going with the profiles? I have been e-mailing people but am yet to get to tin tacks so will keep at it.

Also found this on the SANZAR facebook page today.... I know they are not responsible for the Women's game, but jeezz they make it hard.

http://www.facebook.com/SanzarRugby

Attachments

• SANZAR afce book.JPG
    SANZAR afce book.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 393

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was sent to me today from Australian Sports Commission

http://www.ausport.gov.au/news/asc_...rugby_gains_advantage_through_funding_support

Women’s rugby gains advantage through funding support

33_percent_landscape.jpg

Australian Rugby Union launches women's sevens campaign this month.
Share​
21 Mar 2012
The future is looking bright for the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and women’s rugby, which is on track to continue its growth with the launch of a new women’s sevens campaign targeting potential new players.
Featuring Australian women’s sevens captain Rebecca Tavo, the campaign aims to encourage young women to take up the Olympic sport.
This follows ARU figures released last month showing increased participation figures for women’s rugby, with player numbers across Australia rising by more than 5 per cent last year.
The improved participation rates were supported by a boost in Australian Government participation funding for rugby union to $666 000 in 2011–12. This funding has supported a number of initiatives, including the appointment of a new program manager to drive participation programs for schoolgirls and women to play and develop their skills.
Tavo is a role model for young girls and women, and was recently named an ambassador of the Prime Minister’s Olympic Challenge, aimed at encouraging primary school-aged children to try a variety of Olympic sports in the lead-up to and during the Olympic Games.
With the welcome introduction of rugby sevens as an Olympic sport from 2016, Tavo is calling on young female players to consider taking up the sport through the campaign.
‘It is fun, fast and exciting and you never know where it could lead you. What may start as a bit of fun could turn into a trip to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016,’ said Tavo.
‘I have had the amazing opportunity to play rugby sevens for my country and win a world championship, so I am always keen to do anything I can to help promote the game.
‘One of the great things about rugby sevens is that it is such an easy game to learn and a fun game to play. Whether you have got a drive to play for Australia to win an Olympic gold medal or you just want to have fun with some friends in a social competition, rugby sevens lets you do that.’
Australia is currently ranked the number one women’s sevens team in the world after winning the 2009 IRB Women’s Rugby World Cup Sevens, and their goal is to retain this number one position.
The women’s sevens have some major events coming up in the next five years, which include the IRB World Cup in 2013, the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and the Olympics in Rio De Janeiro in 2016.
Related links

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
So how are we going with the profiles? I have been e-mailing people but am yet to get to tin tacks so will keep at it.

Also found this on the SANZAR facebook page today.... I know they are not responsible for the Women's game, but jeezz they make it hard.

http://www.facebook.com/SanzarRugby

It doesnt appear the girls from my team that were previously in the Wallaroos are there this year so I am going to try & get info on the local HWRU in regards to previous rep players & the history of the comp. Will post links here.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
http://rugby.com.au/Teams/Wallaroos/Player/tabid/1728/playerid/4/Default.aspx
A Brisbane girl, playing out of historical Queensland club Brothers, Iliseva is currently balancing her Rugby with a Bachelor of Education at the Australian Catholic University
Senior Club: NSW ???

Moses - Ili's club side is Sydney Uni
Bruce Ross - that is Rocky, that's extremely strange! She retired at the end of last year though.

Lou Ferris coached Sydney Uni Women's to an undefeated season last year, I could hunt her down for a podcast if you would like that.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sydney Uni have taken their women's rugby program to a new level with the appointment of a very experienced coach in Rod Cutler. Rod was Head Coach of the Manly Marlins Club in men's rugby before being High Performance Manager across all sports at the Scots College. More recently he has been Director of Rugby at Ryutsu Keizai University in Japan. He is proprietor of the Elite Performance Sports Academy.

Rod's co-coach is the very experienced Wallaroo Alex Hargreaves, a member of the 2010 World Cup-winning Sevens team.

Rounding out the coaching team are two interns who are gaining experience under men's rugby Strength & Conditioning Coach Tim Leahy.

Like most clubs Sydney Uni has a mix of very experienced players through to absolute beginners and it is difficult for the inexperienced to get much game time. To overcome this problem I think there could be scope for the organisation of friendly fixtures possibly played on a Sunday with clubs from ACT and Newcastle Hunter.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sydney Uni have taken their women's rugby program to a new level with the appointment of a very experienced coach in Rod Cutler. Rod was Head Coach of the Manly Marlins Club in men's rugby before being High Performance Manager across all sports at the Scots College. More recently he has been Director of Rugby at Ryutsu Keizai University in Japan. He is proprietor of the Elite Performance Sports Academy.

Rod's co-coach is the very experienced Wallaroo Alex Hargreaves, a member of the 2010 World Cup-winning Sevens team.

Rounding out the coaching team are two interns who are gaining experience under men's rugby Strength & Conditioning Coach Tim Leahy.

Like most clubs Sydney Uni has a mix of very experienced players through to absolute beginners and it is difficult for the inexperienced to get much game time. To overcome this problem I think there could be scope for the organisation of friendly fixtures possibly played on a Sunday with clubs from ACT and Newcastle Hunter.

Already happening Bruce, Waverly is coming up this Saturday I believe to play the Hamilton Harps - provided it isn't called off. I will say though these two teams have organised this themselves for a few years, it would be good to see more teams involved. I really like the idea of pre-season 15's trials utilising different regions. We were going to have one with your Sydney Uni the same day our mens did at Nelson Bay this year but we had a large number of players away on Holiday. Our president organised it without checking availability of players first!!! A number of our girls go away on Hols together so it was just unlucky timing.

Sydney Uni sounds like us this year, some of the new girls we have look like babies to me they are that young, we are gently bringing them into women's rugby from school girls. We also have a few girls post-school that haven't played before. I was talking to a mate of mine that does Rugby training & provides Rugby training gear & we both agree an U18's club system would be just the ticket for women's rugby, probably using 10 or 12 a side. School girl rugby is great & its building but I'd love to see clubs with a system to bring up the girls as club sport is held higher than school - at least speaking from my earlier days it certainly felt that way.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Qld Red got through 3 from 3 on the first day of the National Women's Sevens comp at Riverview. They face WA in the semi tomorrow morning at 10-ish.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
(Queensland) Uni defeated Wests tonight in their usual tough encounter. Tricia Brown looked very impressive. She leaves on Saturday to go into camp & the girls fly to London Tuesday.

Wests looked dangerous, especially out wide, but handling was the killer.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
I think one distinct advantage in England is the independence and individual identity of the RFUW and not the RFU who manage the Womens/Girls programmes/pathways specifically for this constituency. I'm involved in local girls club, girl's county and English Womens Premiership rugby. Their systems for identification and development of girls/women and keep close monitoring of their progress is really quite impressive and is properly resourced.

http://www.rfu.com/WomensRugbyPortal

Always looking to promote the interests and activites available for Women and Girls to access the oddshaped ballgame in all it's forms!

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
I think one distinct advantage in England is the independence and individual identity of the RFUW and not the RFU who manage the Womens/Girls programmes/pathways specifically for this constituency.

Their activities seem really strong. I wonder to what degree the women's programmes are separately managed in Australia?

I think there are cultural problems around the game in Australia, but they're hard to talk about in a politically correct way.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Their activities seem really strong. I wonder to what degree the women's programmes are separately managed in Australia?

I think there are cultural problems around the game in Australia, but they're hard to talk about in a politically correct way.

OK - well lets tiptoe through the Politically Incorrect way perhaps?
Say it as you see it and we could take it from there!

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
OK - well lets tiptoe through the Politically Incorrect way perhaps?
Say it as you see it and we could take it from there!

Well... in Australia it is seen (and quite accurately) as a game dominated by Islander women (and Aboriginal, and let's not even start on league). I think it's a serious off-putting factor for the majority of the female population who might otherwise take up the game. a) they get told they are going to get trampled by the Samoans and b) they don't feel welcome in a team where people often speak another language to each other.... Both problems that are not as much of an issue when you actually play but the image is counter-productive.

We lack the GPS/equivalent for Brisbane private schools that help feed the men's game, because conservative private girl's schools are very unlikely to ever take it up. It's going to have to develop in a different way - but how?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well... in Australia it is seen (and quite accurately) as a game dominated by Islander women (and Aboriginal, and let's not even start on league). I think it's a serious off-putting factor for the majority of the female population who might otherwise take up the game. a) they get told they are going to get trampled by the Samoans and b) they don't feel welcome in a team where people often speak another language to each other.... Both problems that are not as much of an issue when you actually play but the image is counter-productive.

We lack the GPS/equivalent for Brisbane private schools that help feed the men's game, because conservative private girl's schools are very unlikely to ever take it up. It's going to have to develop in a different way - but how?

In men's rugby historically we have experienced the reverse situation where Islander boys, Aboriginals and others from less privileged backgrounds often didn't "feel welcome in a team where [the products of "conservative private" boys "schools"] often [spoke] another language to each other". Fortunately we have moved on a fair way from that situation but social exclusion can take diverse forms.