• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bruce, that's really interesting information!

We were told last year that the Brumbies' budget for women's rugby last year was around $45k (1), which we were pretty impressed by. I have no idea how that compares to other sports or programs.

I've heard coaches say organising a trans-Tasman series would not be very costly - but imagine the benefits of playing World Champions New Zealand at least semi-regularly! (2) Post 2006 World Cup, Australia played a few tests across the ditch in 2007, and NZ traveled here in 2008. In 2009, the Wallaroos played a single World Cup qualifier test against Samoa (3). Yet now there is nothing planned.

Northern hemisphere countries have far more advanced 15s programs (4). The women have a Six Nations tournament, too, and many of the countries have junior programs, including the USA and Canada. On the weekend, for example, France U20s just beat England U20s 50-0, but the senior English side defeated France 15-3.

It's sad that there are so few opportunities here - are we still the Antipodes? So, I love Jets' idea of being involved in the Asian Championships (5), which would have benefits right across Asia and the Pacific.

Asian countries such as China, Japan and Kazakhstan are putting plenty of effort into their Sevens programs - to be quite frank, I think Australia may even be lagging here, too (6). The girls are on contracts, but a number of countries have full-time players now, including USA and the Netherlands (7) (Australia will play the Netherlands in Hong Kong, which commentators are saying will be interesting. Eastsyde 7s - a QLD based team - really took it to the Pearls in Darwin, who escaped with the game 7-5) (8).

1) That is fantastic from the Brumbies.

2) The benefits would be huge if we regularly played NZ in 15's tests, not only for internationals but those rep players getting that experience then coming back into club - would make the club competitions even stronger. One of the reasons my local club comp is so good IMO is the professional attitude of all players (despite it being amateur) which I believe comes from the fact that many players know they are competing - either against members of their own team for spots that are rep players or against their opposite number which also is a rep player.

3) Playing Samoa, & by extension other islander nations would be great for this region. I played with a Samoan 7's player for one season (once again, who prefers 15's) & she was amazing - & has been interested in coming back. It could only be a good thing to get regular games against the Islander teams. Or at the very least I'd like to see some kind of program where we can have a certain number of Islander players come over to stay in Oz to play in our various 15's comps.

4) I've had a look at their programs Amanda & honesty we are in deep shit for future WRWC's - if this is anything to go by. We've punched well above our weight in real Aussie style but I don't know how much longer we can go this way. Despite a good defensive effort against England in the WRWC we were clearly a step or two below them. I'm afraid the gap might go back out. NZ, well they are focusing more on 7's now too (I know that now thanks to the info you've given me)so it will be interesting to see how they go. England posters were commenting before last WRWC that NZ hadn't had an ideal preparation but NZ posters stated the NZ team had something like "high intensity 15's training camps" or something to that effect. Essentially internal 15's games. I don't know if our depth is enough to do the same. At any rate I'm giving the advantage to England so far for the next WRWC.

Could you imagine an Australian forward pack of 7's players lining up to a scrum against a fully pro forward pack from England? I'd say after the first scrum our girls would be emerging saying "Damn 15's scrum - you scary!".

Maybe total humiliation of our forward pack is the only way in the future to convince the relevant governing bodies that 15's requires attention. Maybe instead of 7's rep players we may be picking 15's players from club land directly without any Nationals comp experience to play 15's at the top level.

5) Yes, Great idea.

6) Yes, agree again.

7) Wow, thanks for informing me of that Amanda I had no idea there were fully professional players. I always thought, ideally, women's rugby should be at best semi-professional (financially, whilst fully professional in training & mental applications). Semi-professional I feel is best to keep the mix of traditional 'amateur' values of Rugby whilst helping rep players with costs of travel, serious injury, etc but leaving enough funds for grass roots. It says a lot about the countries that have full professionalism (good on them for being able to do it).

8) Big effort from the QLD team.

A

amanda

Oh & just to add, if NZ women's are going to do no 15's & focus on 7's then I can safely say (& you've heard it here first) congratulations in advance to England women's team, you win the next WRWC. Surely the proposition of an England victory should be motivation enough to support the continual presence of 15's at the international level in the form for tests for Aus & NZ.

England take 15s seriously and have a distinct pool of players for sevens at the same time. It can be done...

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Watching Fox sports right now. I cant remember the woman's name but they were talking to a woman on the waratah board, first in over 100 years. Fantastic, but when they ran through the list of women contributing to Rugby, yet again just about everyone from orange cutter to girlfriends of players were mentioned EXCEPT ACTUAL WOMEN'S PLAYERS. Not even the board woman herself mentioned actual female players.

Glad I'm a Crusader supporter.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Watching Fox sports right now. I cant remember the woman's name but they were talking to a woman on the waratah board, first in over 100 years. Fantastic, but when they ran through the list of women contributing to Rugby, yet again just about everyone from orange cutter to girlfriends of players were mentioned EXCEPT ACTUAL WOMEN'S PLAYERS. Not even the board woman herself mentioned actual female players.

Glad I'm a Crusader supporter.
It was Sally Loane
I noticed that they didn't mention woman playing rugby. I'm sure it's an oversight and I bet she kicked herself afterwards. You'd think it was top of mind seeing it was page 3 of the SMH today.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was Sally Loane
I noticed that they didn't mention woman playing rugby. I'm sure it's an oversight and I bet she kicked herself afterwards. You'd think it was top of mind seeing it was page 3 of the SMH today.

Yeah, I'm sure she's fine. I'm just in a crook mood lately given some of the developments recently. I agree it was probably an over site.

All that being said I'd like to see some women get involved who actually played Rugby - albeit we may need to wait a few years (I was certain a former women's rugby player was involved at some level but unsure).

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey ASH, Cat and amanda... Have any of you got in contact with the girls on twitter and told them what we are trying to achieve here with the Wallaroos info?? Might be the best place to go and they would be able to get hold of the other girls hopefully. If you want me to do it just let me know.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hey ASH, Cat and amanda... Have any of you got in contact with the girls on twitter and told them what we are trying to achieve here with the Wallaroos info?? Might be the best place to go and they would be able to get hold of the other girls hopefully. If you want me to do it just let me know.

I'd love if you can do that SRF, I have a twitter account but I'm still quite Twitter illiterate. I'd say Amanda has more of an idea about some of the players than me as I could only identify 1 current player (I have known more from the past but they are not listed in the current squad).

I think contacting Sally would be wise also.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd love if you can do that SRF, I have a twitter account but I'm still quite Twitter illiterate. I'd say Amanda has more of an idea about some of the players than me as I could only identify 1 current player (I have known more from the past but they are not listed in the current squad).

I think contacting Sally would be wise also.

I am not much better, but willing to have a go. If you know some players from the past perhaps you can contact them and we can put together some historical stuff as well. As suggested by one of the previous posters.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am not much better, but willing to have a go. If you know some players from the past perhaps you can contact them and we can put together some historical stuff as well. As suggested by one of the previous posters.

Cool, well I'll try to get what I can. Helps when you've got internationals at your club! I'm sure at least on the Hunter/Newcastle front I can get some info. I also have some details on women's rugby from the 60's I believe. So perhaps in time this may branch out from international women's rugby & go down into each area. It would be good to have one major source of info.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)

Not on twitter, but yes, in person. I'll be doing blog articles (front page stuff) while they're away in their tournaments, as long as people want to see them and get behind them?

The players I've spoken to can't believe anyone's showing interest.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not on twitter, but yes, in person. I'll be doing blog articles (front page stuff) while they're away in their tournaments, as long as people want to see them and get behind the

The player's I've spoken to can't believe anyone's showing interest.

I got hold of Sally Loane's email addess and shot her through an email to see if she
has got some contacts. Will see what comes of it. Am working on a few other contacts as well. But they might take me longer.

Oh and it is a pity that they are amazed people are interested. FFS i would love it if they played somewhere relatively close. I would go watch. Also loved watching then games that have been telsvised. Just need better advertising and i would say a lot of others would support them.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://a3.sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc7/431038_10150616153897144_10622282143_9531621_1072111134_n.jpg

In the photo above showing Drew Mitchell visiting a girls' high school, the teacher looks remarkably like Rachelle "Rocky" Pirie, Wallaroo and Sydney Uni player.