• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cat A, enjoyed every word of your original rant – I think mine will top it though. I’d like to see the Twitter site be dedicated to women’s rep rugby in general so it covers 15’s as well, not just 7’s. I thought I’d voice my concerns about the ARU’s direction with women’s rugby.

At our AGM this year for our club comp, the word from the ARU was that they are going to focus on 7’s rather than 15’s (National’s I found out about earlier this year). This is not a good move IMO. I know the ARU are probably looking at 7’s+Olympics as the best way to help recruit more women to Rugby (& I don’t disagree with using it to get school girls involved) but I don’t think they realise what damage they are actually doing to the quality of the game as a whole by focusing on 7’s at the expense of 15’s. I’d rather Olympic governing bodies in Aus handle the 7’s side of things as its Olympic & the ARU concentrate on 15’s & grassroots/club land. My major issues with favouring 7’s over 15’s for women are as follows:

1) Rugby15’s for women, like for men, caters for all body types. There are large girls playing Rugbythat got turned away from other sports due to body type. Take away 15’s & leave 7’s & you’ll just end up with Rugbybecoming one of these ‘prototype’ team sports where all the players look the same or similar build. Promoting 15’s I believe would appeal to a larger number of women & therefore recruit a larger more diverse number of players/supporters/etc.

2) The ARU a few years ago stated that they were neglecting the women’s rep program to some extent so they could support the grass roots. This was something I actually agreed with. The needs of the many (club & potential players) outweigh the needs of the few (rep players). I say this even as someone who played rep for Hunter & know first hand funds is not easy to come by. That being said how much the ARU did for grassroots women’s rugby back then I have no idea. I’d like someone with any info on that to enlighten me, from what I’ve seen the bulk of the work has come from women’s players themselves. I know the ARU doesn’t have a money tree & has issues of its own regarding the men’s side of the game but from what I’ve seen they haven’t really done a great deal.

3) I’d liken 20/20 cricket to 7’s & test cricket to 15’s, you can throw all the money & everything else you could at 7’s just like 20/20 but none of that will make it a better game than 15’s. Basically, you can dress up a turd all you like but it won’t make any difference, a turd is a turd.

Standing on its own 7’s has many benefits especially for recruitment, etc but it is still the inferior version of the game. A player who has only ever played club for all their playing days at 15’s would have a better idea overall of how good of a Rugby player they are than someone who plays 7’s all their life & even competes at the top level.

I’m happy for any success we have for our men’s & women’s at 7’s but with all due respect WRWC 15’s along with the men’s RWC are the pinnacles of our game. With all the concentration on 7’s I’m worried how we will compete with the likes of New Zealand & England at the WRWC (we came 3rd last time).

If the ARU thinks women will neglect 15’s for 7’s if that’s the only choice then they’d get a rude awakening. Most women I talk to who joined 15’s for the contact & the challenge of a longer game with less gaps to run through are more likely to go to League. This is regardless of how much they love Rugby& even includes me (lord let it not come to that please!). 13 on 13 for 80min is seen as better than 7 on 7 for 7min halves. Then what will Rugbybe left with? It’ll be left with recruiting women straight out of other sports who maybe more interested in the game for what they can get out of it in terms of accolades rather than playing the game for the love of it which is what the bulk of women in 15’s play it for (IMO).

It’s not all doom & gloom. The 15’s comps are very resilient, especially from where I’m from. Whenever I travel & meet women rugby players they always put 15’s in the highest regard. At Crescent Head sevens I saw a few of the women's sevens teams get together on the spare field to play a fun game of 15's (even at 7's comps we are still trying to play 15's). Once again I’m only commenting on my area but we still have girls & women coming into 15’s & the players are very committed from all clubs. The volunteers have coped (although they could always do with help naturally).

Probably, correction - most certainly, delving much further into it than the twitter issue but its an important issue none-the-less.

MrMouse, LMFAO doesn't do justice to the reaction of your comment on Ali Brigginshaw's DOB. Funny as! :D

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks AS - I agree with every word you are saying - I hope I didn't make my original rant sound too 7s-centric. I was merely trying to emphasise that there is a bloody-big-deal event in 4 years where BOTH men and women are playing at the SAME tournament, with the same number of cameras etc etc. I have my cranky-pants on about the fact I don't think its appropriate for a mascot to have twitter before the Australian women's team (7s or 15s) and then when I said something, the reply caused some alarm.

What I'm asking for is such a minor, simple thing to do, but it immediately gives people on twitter, who are interested in women's rugby, a way of finding out what is happening in it, whether 7s or 15s, schools, whatever.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
No no your cool cat (oh, I didnt even mean that pun!) :cool:

I know exactly what you mean. I agree with you totally.

On another note I think a link on twitter to RugbyNet to look up local Rugby clubs that have a women's team might also be a good move.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
An excellent and well argued post, Angry, which expands on the issues Cat initially raised. In particular, your point about the senior game catering for all body types which the half-game certainly does not is indisputable and a key consideration. If, as you say, the ARU intend focussing on 7s rather than 15s for women, it is evidence that they either have not really thought about the issues involved or their real agenda is to have women marginally involved at the least cost.

Another related point is that many of us, whether female or male, are attracted to rugby because of the challenge of its complexity. This is not the case with either Sevens or Rugby League.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
My contacts are limited, but I can find out some information - if you can put up the Wallaroos as a team with jersey, that'd be great - I'll fill in as I find anything out.
Why don't we start with a spreadsheet - I've already started adding the wealth of information available on the rugby.com.au website (though am in meetings for the rest of today). Just fill in the info we know and I'll get it into the Ruggapedia when we've got more info on the players.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKB8Civ33YudDYxc2JHX1gxOW5kei1CUjk2SmZEWUE

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
My only regret is that I am of the age that womens rugby was not encouraged at all when I would have been capable of playing. Now I am just to broken.

Any help I can provide I will happliy do. Let's show the bastards (ARU) what can be achieved by the 'grass roots', AKA GAGR.

I will see if I csan get some contacts into the team.

A

amanda

Wow, this is seriously embarrassing.

Why put these players up when all you know is their name, state, and that they were born on the 1st January, 2001...

Anyone keen to do some proper profiles of the Wallaroos in the Ruggapedia?​
I don't think that's the full list either unless some girls aren't playing anymore. If I had the info I'd do the profiles. If we could get the contacts for the clubs they play for, email them to request some info for a profile we might be able to get something to put up for sure.

That's a very surprising page!! I thought the Wallaroos were the 15s team and the Pearls were the 7s team.

I don't know who most of those "unprofiled" players are, but I don't think they play 15s at all, I'm guessing this is the full Sevens squad. But then there are some positional changes for the 15s+7s players: eg Shannon Parry is normally 6 (I've only ever seen her play 6 or 7) and Alex is normally 7 but can play 8. And there are no front rowers at all in the list.

So perhaps the ARU will just transfer all 7s players to the 15s program - or they are being deadset slackers with the website updates. AFAIK there is no 15s (Wallaroos) program at all this year and no tests on the horizon.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I'm not going to stand up for the ARU and say they are doing a great job they did post this video on Twitter and facebook last week on Interenation Womens Day.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
That's a very surprising page!! I thought the Wallaroos were the 15s team and the Pearls were the 7s team.

I don't know who most of those "unprofiled" players are, but I don't think they play 15s at all, I'm guessing this is the full Sevens squad. But then there are some positional changes for the 15s+7s players: eg Shannon Parry is normally 6 (I've only ever seen her play 6 or 7) and Alex is normally 7 but can play 8. And there are no front rowers at all in the list.

So perhaps the ARU will just transfer all 7s players to the 15s program - or they are being deadset slackers with the website updates. AFAIK there is no 15s (Wallaroos) program at all this year and no tests on the horizon.

I can confirm Sarah Riordan as a 15's player as she's a team mate of mine & our comp is 15's but I don't know about the rest.

The last part in bold of your post Amanda indicates to me that if this is true then the ARU has well & truly lost the plot when it comes to women's Rugby in Australia.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
An excellent and well argued post, Angry, which expands on the issues Cat initially raised. In particular, your point about the senior game catering for all body types which the half-game certainly does not is indisputable and a key consideration. If, as you say, the ARU intend focussing on 7s rather than 15s for women, it is evidence that they either have not really thought about the issues involved or their real agenda is to have women marginally involved at the least cost.

Another related point is that many of us, whether female or male, are attracted to rugby because of the challenge of its complexity. This is not the case with either Sevens or Rugby League.

Exactly Bruce. Also, picking League over Rugby 7's for me is a real "pick the lesser of two evils" scenario. 15's has to be preserved & grown, by all means get the girls into 7's in highschool (I'd prefer 10's) & even attempt to get them into sevens in primary school if their parents don't let them play with the boys. But for the love of god remember to push 15's as the "ultimate destination" they should be aspiring too once they get into their later teens & beyond.

I had a long standing rep Rugby player say the other day that she'd rather see touch footy be in the Olympics given the possible problems this may cause to 15's.

A

amanda

Regarding the question of matches for the Wallaroos, the IRB Women's Rugby Plan 2011 - 2016 contains no 15s for Australia or New Zealand beyond the World Cup. From Scrum Queens:​

The report concludes with a draft list of XVs tournaments for the next five years – the “competition model” - but here there are some surprises. An annual Asian XVs, as proposed, would be a step forward – but the already annual Caribbean XVs is missing, which is a potentially damaging oversight. There is also a total absence of any fifteens rugby for Australasia or the Pacific. For the region that contains the countries that finished first and third in 2010 it is very noticeable that even an occasional trans-Tasman tournament seems ruled out.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
That's freakin' disgraceful! How in the hell is the game meant to grow, or even survive, like that?

It's pretty damning that the boys' club at CA are better at supporting women's sport than the ARU. At least they have been pushing for column inches and some radio/telly coverage. :(

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would have thought that from an IRB perspective growing the women's game would be a priority. Also there is an opportunity to push into Asia by engaging with women there. Having the Wallaroo's and the Black Ferns play in an Asian comp would help grow the game there and also provide an opportunity for regular Tests. The other reason Asia would be worth exploring is that the game is much more likely to become financially viable if it is exposed to a bigger market.
The social dynamics are changing greatly in Asia and I consider it a great opportunity to grow rugby as a game to be played by men and women.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would appear that the ARU and our state bodies have outdated attitudes to the idea of women playing rugby, unlike what I perceive to be the situation in New Zealand, England and the US, for example.

The lack of support here should certainly not be due to financial constraints. At this point women's team sports can be run for a very small fraction of what it takes to run men's teams.

At Sydney Uni the budget for our women's rugby club, admittedly consisting of just one team, is minuscule compared to that of the men's club. In basketball we have had for about eight seasons a team, the Sydney Uni Flames, competing in the Women's National Basketball League. There is no way we could ever afford to have a team in the men's National League. The women's section of our soccer club has realistic aspirations of progressing to the W-League. By contrast it would be absurd to think of a university team participating in the A-League.

As suggested above, the members of G&GR can perform a very useful service by getting behind women's rugby and pressuring rugby officialdom to change their attitudes.

A

amanda

Bruce, that's really interesting information!

We were told last year that the Brumbies' budget for women's rugby last year was around $45k, which we were pretty impressed by. I have no idea how that compares to other sports or programs.

I've heard coaches say organising a trans-Tasman series would not be very costly - but imagine the benefits of playing World Champions New Zealand at least semi-regularly! Post 2006 World Cup, Australia played a few tests across the ditch in 2007, and NZ traveled here in 2008. In 2009, the Wallaroos played a single World Cup qualifier test against Samoa. Yet now there is nothing planned.

Northern hemisphere countries have far more advanced 15s programs. The women have a Six Nations tournament, too, and many of the countries have junior programs, including the USA and Canada. On the weekend, for example, France U20s just beat England U20s 50-0, but the senior English side defeated France 15-3.

It's sad that there are so few opportunities here - are we still the Antipodes? So, I love Jets' idea of being involved in the Asian Championships, which would have benefits right across Asia and the Pacific.

Asian countries such as China, Japan and Kazakhstan are putting plenty of effort into their Sevens programs - to be quite frank, I think Australia may even be lagging here, too. The girls are on contracts, but a number of countries have full-time players now, including USA and the Netherlands (Australia will play the Netherlands in Hong Kong, which commentators are saying will be interesting. Eastsyde 7s - a QLD based team - really took it to the Pearls in Darwin, who escaped with the game 7-5).

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Regarding the question of matches for the Wallaroos, the IRB Women's Rugby Plan 2011 - 2016 contains no 15s for Australia or New Zealand beyond the World Cup. From Scrum Queens:​

I read the link Amanda thanks for adding that. Scrum Queens is a very good site for women's Rugby.

Their plans for 7's are good but TBH their plans for the real version of the game are very poor. They seem to be going for quantity of player pool over quality of player pool.

Oh & just to add, if NZ women's are going to do no 15's & focus on 7's then I can safely say (& you've heard it here first) congratulations in advance to England women's team, you win the next WRWC. Surely the proposition of an England victory should be motivation enough to support the continual presence of 15's at the international level in the form for tests for Aus & NZ.