• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A few Aussie teams are taking part in the Coral Coast 7's this weekend. Sunnybank managed a good first up win against Sydney Uni running away 47-0 victors.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hear that the Chinese rugby union are on the search for a coach for their Women's 7's team. Looking to pay 6 figures too. Looks like they are going to be chasing gold in Rio. Wouldn't be a bad gig.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Not something I'd be suited for Huge but I know a few that would be. Nice work if you can get it. Pays more than the Aussie gig.

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
In similar news, women's rugby 7s at the University Games this year. Most universities don't have enough rugby players and will be recruiting touch girls etc. to fill teams - hopefully leading to some retention and more girls playing overall.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
In similar news, women's rugby 7s at the University Games this year. Most universities don't have enough rugby players and will be recruiting touch girls etc. to fill teams - hopefully leading to some retention and more girls playing overall.

I just saw this on the Hunter Women's Rugby FB page & it appears Newcastle Uni will be one of the few that have a predominantly Rugby based team. Though not all the girls playing will be from the Newcastle Uni club.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Hugh Jarse I only know that Queensland White went through undefeated. I only know that because some of the girls I know (and follow on instagram & twitter) posted the photo & results.

I'll endeavour to find out more & post some pics too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Cat_A.

Looks like ACT won over Touch Football Australia.

A spirited second-half fight back has powered the Australian Capital Territory to a 24-22 win over Touch Football Australia in the Cup final of the National Women’s Rugby Sevens Championship at St. Ignatius College, Riverview, today.

Been hot down here in Olde Sydney Towne the last two days. The athletes would have been doing it tough.

see here: http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1754/ArticleID/8843/Default.aspx

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Sydney Womens comp starts this week. Parramatta Womens take on Sydney University at Granville Park No 2. The Parramatta Womens team has performed very well in the 7s tournaments so far in 2013 and seem set for a good year. It will be worth walking the hundred metres up to No 2 from Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to catch some of what should be a great match. I've seen a fair bit of our Womens team this year - they are an entertaining team and valued members of the Two Blues family.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Up to the end of last year Sydney Uni had a very impressive unbeaten run, back to 2010. I think it was the Rats who ended the run.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Parramatta Womens team have published a brief report on their match against Sydney Uni on the club website. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get up to see any of their match but it sounds like a reasonable start to what will hopefully be a good year for them.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
2bluesfan I'd be interested in a bit of a background on women's rugby at Parra. How long has there been a team, what success have they had in the past and what has been done this year to improve their results? From the sounds of things good things are happening with Women's rugby there.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
2bluesfan I'd be interested in a bit of a background on women's rugby at Parra. How long has there been a team, what success have they had in the past and what has been done this year to improve their results? From the sounds of things good things are happening with Women's rugby there.
Parramatta have had a womens team for quite a while but I will have to ask around for some more information on that - perhaps Belly will pop along with some details.

They have enjoyed moderate success in both forms of the game in recent seasons but they appear to be quite focussed on taking home some trophies this year. They are well coached by two local girls, and they have a close bond amongst the playing group. I enjoy watching them whenever I get the chance as they play good Rugby with smiles on their faces. And their Rugby is improving and, slowly, this appears to be getting some recognition from representative selectors. Currently they have one player in the Australian Sevens squad and one or two others must surely be under close observation by selectors.

It would be presumptuous of me to suggest that I know what has been done to improve their results as I am only a fan and occasional spectator but I have observed a greater belief within the team and a desire to play as well as each player possibly can, coupled with a little good old "let's show 'em we can play" attitude.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm only asking as I've watched first hand how Sunnybank have improved their women's program in recent years. I personally feel that having a good women's team adds a huge amount to a good club culture. The Sunnybank women are great. Always first to volunteer for anything and really appreciate any support they get.

From the ARU report the number of women playing the game is dropping and it's good to see a club improve their womens program.