• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
Used to agree Bruce - I suppose I still don't think it's a great game the way 15s is. Lack of strategy and momentum - but as a showcase for some very athletic and skilled players it works well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There can be quite a bit of strategy and momentum in 7's. Most people think it's all about going wide but you can be very effective with big runners going up the middle and having some speedy guys thrive off offloads.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wallaroo's training camp on this weekend. The build up to the World Cup has started.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Sydney Womens Rugby competition kicked off over the weekend. Results:
Parramatta 57 Waverley 0
Sydney University 28 Rockdale 0
Warringah 54 Penrith 0

Parramatta match report here.

Next round (all matches at C A Redmond Field)
Sydney University v Waverley
Warringah v Parramatta (Grand Final replay)
Rockdale v Penrith

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have to give some props to the QRU who have managed to get the Women's teams to play at the same location for Home games this season as the rest of the Club. Also having a set kick off time for all teams has helped out.

It's a big day at Sunnybank this weekend too with our annual "Old Boys Day" and the Women's team are taking charge of running our new members area. We are looking at renaming the day next year to "Dragons Day" so as not to exclude the huge role that Women have played in the history of the Club on and off the field.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sydney Womens Comp - Round 2:
Sydney University 76 Waverley 0
Warringah 15 Parramatta 29 (partial revenge! Parra match report here )
Rockdale 59 Penrith 12

Table:
Parramatta 10
Sydney Uni 10
Rockdale 5
Warringah 5
Penrith 0
Waverley 0

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
HUNTER Sports High School’s new rugby program might not have made any difference to Mollie Gray’s rugby journey, but the Maitland-bred Wallaroos believes the breakthrough initiative will lay the foundation for many others to strive for Olympic glory.

The Gateshead school will start a girls’ targeted sports program for the code next year, offering students from years seven to 12 girls’ rugby as an elective course. Those accepted will have three hours of coaching and development across strength and conditioning, core skills, sports science, nutrition, dieting, physiotherapy and recovery as well as exposure to state competitions.

It is believed to be a first for female rugby in NSW high schools and comes as the sevens format of the game prepares for its introduction to the Olympic Games in Rio 2016.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2245692/school-program-a-first-for-female-rugby-in-nsw/?cs=306

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ladder.jpg

Current Sydney Womens table.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Looks like a good match on the horizon between Parra and Sydney Uni.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looks like a good match on the horizon between Parra and Sydney Uni.
Round 5 this weekend sees exactly that matchup.
Parra Women v Sydney Uni Women is always a tight match and invariably played in a great spirit. If I wasn't going to TG Milner to watch our men taken on Eastwood, I'd love to be watching the women's game.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wallaroos play the Black Ferns tomorrow in the first leg of a triangular tournament involving Australia, NZ and Canada.

Go the Wallaroos!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apparently you can watch it online. I'm not sure of the link though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry Jets, I've just seen your post. I found it online just in time to watch the second half. Down 3-11 at halftime, unfortunately the Wallaroos were outclassed in the second as the Black Ferns ran in 27 unanswered points, including one beautifully worked backline move, full of deception and great running lines. It shouldn't be all doom and gloom amongst the Wallaroo camp but they have a lot of work to do. They seemed to struggle against the linespeed of the Black Fern defence and they were comprehensively outplayed at the breakdown (at least in the second half). Still, I saw enough to feel that we'd have a shot come RWC time in August.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
For those who haven't found it already here are two videos of the match:

First half:
Second half:

For Two Blues fans: our girls are
8 Chloe Butler
9 Nita Maynard
13 Hanna Sio
22 Alex Sulusi

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting match tonight between our Mighty Two Blues Women's team and the very good Sydney University Women's team. These matches are always keenly contested and tonight was no different. Uni ran out narrow winners 16-15 (one try to three) in a match where both teams struggled to find any rhythm due to frequent stoppages. Uni remain top of the comp and Parra remain second.