• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Class Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Langthorne said:
KOBUS WEISE - he was immense in every way (and is even bigger these days), maybe 3 in the world at the time
Should be Kobus Wiese. First up want to mention I know him very well, grow up in Oranjemund and sure is one of our local Paarl Gim Legends. To be realistic I think he was never a nr3 rated lock but a real grinder and team man. Balie Swart also a Paarl Gim Legend and sure is one of a kind. Dont think Balie was world class, call him one of a kind because he is the only guy winning a WC as a player and as a coach with the Bokke in 2007. Nowadays forwards coach of the Sharks.

Balie's nick (he told this story many a time locally) comes from his school days. His dad bought him his school jacket way to big when he was here in grade 8 as a sot and the Matrix called him Balie. This is wine area and Balie meaning wine cask.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the fact that Eales Johnno and Matfield were locks is just coincidental - more importantly, they were outstanding leaders (even if Matfield wasn't the captain).

It's a tired cliche, but the "team of champions/champion team" saying generally holds true for rugby, but is especially true in World Cups where there's constant pressure to perform. Having strong leaders in your team that can pull everyone together is vital. Nick-Farr Jones said that, had he been on the field at the end of the 1991 QF against Ireland, he would have read the boys the riot act, and that the only reason the Wallabies pulled through was because Noddy had the leadership skills/clear head to call the shots.

Obviously world-XV players are big assets, but everyone plays far beyond their abilities when they've got complete trust in their mates and the blokes leading them.

H

Hugonaut

Spook said:
BOD hasn't been the best 13 in the world for a while. He's a warrior and flanker-like player that leads his team around but in terms or breaking the line and setting up tries, he isn't what used to be. Morty was the best 13 last year but this year he hasn't proved it yet.

Pretty harsh on O'Driscoll – I'd agree that he doesn't have the same pace as he did early in his career, but he's still a top-notch line-breaker.

He had a bad year in 2008, but he's possibly just had the best year in his career: top try-scorer [with Ricky Flutey] in this year's 6 Nations with 4 in 5 games, top try scorer in this years Heineken Cup with 5 tries. Combine that with the fact that he also scored two vital drop goals [one in the 6 Nations against England – Ireland winning by a point – and one in the HEC final against Leicester – Leinster winning by 3 points]. Captain of the Irish team that won the Grand Slam [for the first time in 60 years], winner of the RBS 6 Nations Player of the Tournament in 2009, played a huge role in Leinster winning their first Heineken Cup last Saturday ... a huge year.

Beyond the statistics, his leadership, dominant defence, line-breaking ability and game generalship – things which don't translate into figures – were of the highest order. Mortlock is a similarly great player, but from what I've seen of this year's Super 14, he's having the same type of year that Drico had in 2008: struggling with injury and form, trying too hard and just off his game a little bit. No doubt that he's a great player though, and, just as many people wrote Drico off in 2008, I'm sure Mortlock is capable of coming back with a storming year.

BTW, Drico said in a post-match interview after the final that Rocky Elsom was the best player he has ever played with. Bearing in mind that he's played with the likes of Richard Hill, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson, Shane Williams, Laurence Dallaglio, Jonny Wilkinson and Paul O'Connell, that's praise of the highest order. Rocky was immense – once again – in the final, another Man of the Match Award. He should have won it in the semi-final as well, which would have been three out of three for the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup. I'd definitely have him as the best blindside in the world, Juan Smith included.

Status
Not open for further replies.