• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby to review Regulation 8 - Eligibilty

After how many years residence should a player be eligible for their adopted country?

• Never - country of birth only, no exceptions

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • One year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Three years (status quo)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Five years

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can't read that GTPIH, but didn't Cheika say that Samu wasn't coming into his calculations because he wasn't illegible for Aus under AR rules?? I would be a bit surprised if he wanted him anyway, bot sure he looks International quality.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I also can't read it, and couldn't access it via the Google cheat.

So, giving it my best guess, the only way the NZRU could block his selection is if he's now also qualified for NZ through residency and signed the relevant paperwork. If we assume both of those are true, and they are still blocking it, then I think that would lend credence to a UK piece I read saying that the RFU would be compensating the NZRU/Hurricanes for Shields (which would likely have been the NZRU's goal). If we also assume that's true, then my conclusion would then be that RA doesn't want to -- or maybe even cannot -- pay for Samu's release.

Of course, if he isn't qualified or didn't sign the relevant paperwork then the NZRU can't officially do anything to prevent his selection.

Could you copypasta some relevant bits of the article here?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also can't read it, and couldn't access it via the Google cheat.

So, giving it my best guess, the only way the NZRU could block his selection is if he's now also qualified for NZ through residency and signed the relevant paperwork. If we assume both of those are true, and they are still blocking it, then I think that would lend credence to a UK piece I read saying that the RFU would be compensating the NZRU/Hurricanes for Shields (which would likely have been the NZRU's goal). If we also assume that's true, then my conclusion would then be that RA doesn't want to -- or maybe even cannot -- pay for Samu's release.

Of course, if he isn't qualified or didn't sign the relevant paperwork then the NZRU can't officially do anything to prevent his selection.

Could you copypasta some relevant bits of the article here?

He has to be signed for an Aus super team for 2 years for him to be considered for Wallabies is what Cheika said, I assume he meant for a returning player who actually hasn't started playing for said Aus team.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't find it mentioned on any rugby or general website so it's either a genuine scoop or total BS. I don't know for sure but I'd imagine he's either contracted as a development player (has committed to becoming NZ-qualified by residence) or a heritage player (PI-qualified), can't see him being on a Marquee contract given he was largely unknown when he came to NZ in 2014 & barely more so when he re-signed in (?) 2016.

EDIT: since he's not NZ-eligible by birth, Crusaders would've had to sign him up under one of those three contract types & my understanding is that unless it was Marquee there'd be no provision for him to represent anyone other than NZ (after qualifying) or Samoa.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Here is the article

NEW Zealand Rugby appear set to play hardball and block a “Brad Shields-style” release for Crusaders flanker Pete Samu if Michael Cheika picks the Aussie-raised forward for Wallabies duty.
And a delay in Samu returning a signed contract to the Brumbies could sink the Wallabies’ option anyway.
The Daily Telegraph revealed in April that Wallabies coach Michael Cheika was targeting Samu for a return to Australia, and possible inclusion in the Test squad.
The 26-year-old, who was raised in Melbourne and went to New Zealand in 2014 after missing a spot at the Waratahs, has agreed to join the Brumbies next season.

With depth at blindside flanker an issue in Australia following an injury to Ned Hanigan at the weekend, and Sean McMahon now in Japan, Samu has come into the frame for the Australian squad for the June series against Ireland.
Although in New Zealand, he would become eligible to play for the Wallabies after signing with the Brumbies and RA to play in Australia next season. The eligibility loophole has only ever been used in the past for players returning from Europe, like Will Genia and Quade Cooper.
But a spanner in the works is that Samu is also eligible for New Zealand, having spent more than three years there playing for Tasman and the Crusaders. The skilful flanker is currently under contract with the Crusaders, and also has a contract to play Mitre Ten Cup for Tasman from August.
So, with what would amount to dual eligibility, Samu is in the same boat as Hurricanes flanker Brad Shields, who was picked by Eddie Jones to play for England in South Africa next month.
The NZR said it was within its legal rights to block Shields from playing for England until after his Hurricanes contract expired, but gave the 27-year-old a dispensation given his long service.
It was stressed in the NZR statement, however, Shield’s case was a “special exception”.
“Our contract agreement requires Brad to be available for only New Zealand teams until the end of his term,” NZR head of professional rugby Chris Lendrum said.
Contacted by the Daily Telegraph about whether Samu would be released if selected by the Wallabies, Lendrum said: “Pete Samu is currently contracted to the Crusaders and Tasman for 2018.”
NZR declined to comment further but also forwarded a copy of the Brad Shields statement. It was intended to be a reminder that Shields’ release was a “special exception”.
Whether Samu is even eligible to be picked for the Wallabies in the June series against Ireland remains a moot point, too.
Despite agreeing to terms, the Daily Telegraph understands the Brumbies are still waiting on Samu to return a signed contract, which was expected to arrive back this week but hasn’t.
Samu, who played with Randwick between 2011 and 2013 and did a pre-season with the Waratahs, admitted this month he was looking at an Australian move.
“I am definitely considering my options,” Samu confirmed. “But my priority at the moment is the Crusaders campaign, that is my sole focus. I leave all that stuff to my agent, he handles that.”
Cheika admitted Samu was on his radar on Wednesday.
“He’s obviously playing good footy, he was on the fringes there at the [NSW Waratahs] when I was coaching there,” Cheika told Kick and Chase on Fox Sports.
“He’s a solid guy, a good lad as well.”
Samu has played for Tasman since 2014, and after starring for the Crusaders’ development side in 2015, was signed to a full contract in 2016. He was on the bench for the Crusaders’ Super Rugby final victory last year.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Samu is even further from a test call-up than Shields, so I don't see any reason why the NZRU would want to block his selection except to acquire reimbursement for a now dual qualified player.

Though, if money isn't involved, I guess they may also want to demonstrate that Shields was the exception rather than the rule. Lest the Celts come sniffing around for players who have a grandparent who once talked to someone form Cardiff/Dublin/Edinburgh.

EDIT:
is it not a World Rugby test window? Don't players have to be released to play tests?

If Samu wasn't dual qualified then he would have to be released if selected. If he is dual qualified, and he signed the relevant bit of paper in his contract, then we get the Shields situation where the NZRU can choose to block the selection. This seem to be the situation Samu now finds himself in.

Status
Not open for further replies.