• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby to review Regulation 8 - Eligibilty

After how many years residence should a player be eligible for their adopted country?

• Never - country of birth only, no exceptions

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • One year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Three years (status quo)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Five years

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Nah, they're just a couple rungs below Samoa.

The U20s Championship should add 4 teams to make 16 anyway IMO. Would keep these teams in the mix and also be a better format.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'd imagine that much like NZ and Scotland you nominate Australia A, but never bother to schedule any fixtures for Australia A.
They pretty much stopped playing them after that "trial" game around 09/10 didn't they.

ARU didn't want to pay the players the going rate, RUPA insisted they should be, and ever since then the commercial side of things very rarely stacks up.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd imagine that much like NZ and Scotland you nominate Australia A, but never bother to schedule any fixtures for Australia A.

I think that if you had nominated the U20s side, it would have been specifically announced at some point, and reps from year 20XX forward wouldn't be considered eligible for other nations/residency laws.

Edit: PDF here suggests it's the Barbarians who are Australia A by another name, but the game Against the French side wouldn't count as an A game because France were (and currently are) using the U20s as their A side.

https://www.google.com.au/url?q=htt...eHGbxw&usg=AFQjCNHk16sszLeugyW2U7w5lw_d2czXTA

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks HL. So, would it only be an A game if both sides play their A nominated side? Or presumably, if one of the sides is the nation's test side, eg, Aus A team v Samoa test side for instance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Edit: PDF here suggests it's the Barbarians who are Australia A by another name, but the game Against the French side wouldn't count as an A game because France were (and currently are) using the U20s as their A side.

For whatever reason we called that side the Wallaby XV.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Did Koriobete get a run in that game. Was thinking it was used to lock him into Aus eligibility, but probably not so?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Any unintended consequences?

May 11, 2017

Leo warns of mass exodus
Former Samoa international Dan Leo believes the new residency rule will result in a mass exodus of young Pacific Islanders’ talent.​

… World Rugby announced on Wednesday that they would increase the number of years for a residency qualification from three to five years with the policy coming into effect from December 31, 2020 …​

Leo says that this will probably result in talent leaving the Pacific Islands earlier so as to become eligible by the time they come of age.​

“You already see schools going to the Islands and offering scholarships for the last two years of school,” Leo told Talking Rugby Union.​

“ … Our worry is that instead of receiving scholarships at 16 and 17, they will be offered scholarships at 14 and 15 … If youngsters move at 16 then even when the new rules come into force they will be naturalised at 21. If they move at 14 they will be naturalised by 19 …​

It would seem he's wrong though about those in school - which doesn't count towards starting residency under rugby regulations.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As a matter of interest, what is the second tier organisation in NZ rugby that limits eligibility? Apparently, not the Junior ABs for whom Shields played in 2011.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It doesn't even seem like Brad Shields would be any better than any of England's current loose forwards?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a matter of interest, what is the second tier organisation in NZ rugby that limits eligibility? Apparently, not the Junior ABs for whom Shields played in 2011.

The "next senior national representative team" for NZ has been the Junior All Blacks since at least 2003.

The Junior All Blacks aren't the team that goes to the Under 20 World Champs though. That's the Baby Blacks.

The Junior All Blacks actually have no age restrictions currently and also haven't played a match since the 2009 Pacific Nations Cup.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I think WR (World Rugby) took U20's out of the equation after the Shingler fiasco. As BH81 points out the JAB haven't played in years so for practical purposes our second team would be the AB7's.

I had absolutely no idea the bloke was English?

Edit: i see now that he is not.

I don't have a problem with him qualifying immediately but I do think he should have to take up residence first. No doubt Ringinland would argue that few if any of the NZ- & Aussie-born guys who turn out for e.g. Samoa have met any residential requirement so why should it be different for them? It does seem to contradict their own selection criteria, though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think WR (World Rugby) took U20's out of the equation after the Shingler fiasco. As BH81 points out the JAB haven't played in years so for practical purposes our second team would be the AB7's.

I don't have a problem with him qualifying immediately but I do think he should have to take up residence first. No doubt Ringinland would argue that few if any of the NZ- & Aussie-born guys who turn out for e.g. Samoa have met any residential requirement so why should it be different for them? It does seem to contradict their own selection criteria, though.

I'm pretty sure they have a get out of jail free clause, i.e. 'exceptional circumstances' or whatever.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Steve Tew has pointed out that whereas Shields is England-eligible he's still contracted to NZR until the end of Super Rugby so maybe this is all a little premature. Or maybe Tew could be persuaded otherwise if Ringinland were to part with some € (it's still € over those ways, isn't it?).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They use pounds in the UK.

NZRU would have to release Shields under regulation 9 during the June test series if England requested it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ after reading this I'm not so sure:

' All Super Rugby players whose eligibility has not already been captured by another nation, have to sign what is known as Schedule Three as part of their contract.

"I don't think you should jump to the conclusion that he will be available from our point of view," NZR chief executive Steve Tew said.

"He has signed to New Zealand and he is contracted to play for New Zealand teams until the end of Super Rugby.

"We have a New Zealand player who is contracted to be here until the end of that competition and that would be our expectation. We are obligated to release players who have signed to play for other countries so they have made themselves unavailable for New Zealand.

"We always make sure that occurs and that is of particular relevance to the Pacific countries. But in this instance, Brad has signed a contract that makes him available for New Zealand teams." '

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12035813

Test case coming up, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.