• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby to review Regulation 8 - Eligibilty

After how many years residence should a player be eligible for their adopted country?

• Never - country of birth only, no exceptions

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • One year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Three years (status quo)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Five years

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well no, citizenship isn't simple because it varies country to country, and fluctuates depending on the political party in power.

There are countries like Spain, Singapore, Switzerland, Ireland, Russia, Austria, Bulgaria and France where I don't even need to live in the country to gain citizenship, as long as my application is attached to a sizeable cheque I could become an economic citizen.

Other countries like Argentina offer residency qualification periods which are less then current World Rugby regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you're good at sport, you can become a citizen after living in Australia six months out of the last two years.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Simple really

I don;t care about other countries. I care about this one.

Citizenship will always be determined by the rules (legislation) of the government of the day. It morps from time to time.

Whether you gain that status through economic means or criteria, refugee status or just plain old migration relevant to the visa you apply for, the end result is the bit of paper that entitles you to take benefit from the country.

Current citizenship should be the only criteria IMO

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gee Braveheart
I have only made 6 posts on this topic.

I have put forward my opinion as to eligibility to play for my country.

I would think my thoughts have been expressed fairly lucidly and most half educated posters would acknowledge that, whether they agree with me or not may be another matter.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Scrubber, I never got the message from your posts that you were only referring to Australia. Says a lot for my intelligence or level of education, I suppose. Most, if not all, other discussion was referencing the world situation.

While your suggested system would be easy for the ARU to administer, I would not be confident that WR (World Rugby) would want to allow one or more countries to go their own way on the question of eligibility. And I'd suggest WR (World Rugby) would have the final say as they could conceivably rule a country ineligible to participate in WR (World Rugby) sanctioned matches if they ran a system WR (World Rugby) found to be disagreeable for any reason.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just reading about Ben Te'o. A great case study of some of the dilemmas facing the modern player

Born in NZ
Father is Samoan
Mother is English
Lived in Australia for 10 years
Lived in Ireland for 3 years 2 years

I imagine he travels on a NZ passport, but may also have Samoan, Australian and GB citizenship.

Wanted to play for Australia, but due to his OS stint would have had to come back to oz, so made the pragmatic decision to choose England (would have soon qualified for Ireland on residency grounds later this year as well)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Understand the concept of dual passports - can you have tri or quad ones as well?

Also, with citizenship, can you actually be a "citizen" of more than one country?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Understand the concept of dual passports - can you have tri or quad ones as well?

Also, with citizenship, can you actually be a "citizen" of more than one country?

Yes, hence the phrase "dual citizenship". It's pretty common, actually.

Edit: I believe it's possible to have more than two but it's rare and would require the correct combination of countries. Many require that you relinquish your current Citizenship if you wish to gain Citizenship elsewhere. Others don't.

An example might be where you are born in Australia to British parents and marry a person from a third country that automatically grants citizenship to spouses. This would give the person a claim to three different citizenship's.

I don't think there is any meaningful difference between holding a countries passport and being considered a citizen. More or less the same thing.

What are your thoughts on a rugby player who holds Australian citizenship but has never set foot in Australia (which is perfectly possible) playing for Australia?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So this has now been confirmed.

From 1 January 2021, players will need to satisfy 60 months (5 years) of residency to qualify under that rule.

This means that someone can commence qualifying for a country by 31 December 2017 and qualify under the current three year rule.

Basically no one can qualify under the residency rule between 1 January 2021 and 1 January 2023.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So you more or less need to be in the country by mid-November this year to have any chance of qualifying (based on the last tier 1 Internationals of the year).

Happy days.

EDIT: I like the other changes too. Almost more than the 3 to 5 years.

In addition:

10 years total residency gives permanent eligibility.

U20s teams can't be nominated as the "A" Side.

And 7s players aren't captured for a Nation unless they play at the World Cup 7s, at the Olympics or are older than 20 years old.

Awesome Changes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously the increased residency requirement is the big news but someother changes have also been made to Reg 8:

"The addition of a residency criteria which permits players who have 10 years of cumulative residency to be eligible (effective May 10, 2017) (unanimously approved)

"Sevens players will only be captured for the purposes of Regulation 8 where the player has represented either of (i) the senior national representative sevens team of a union where the player has reached the age of 20 on or before the date of participation; or (ii) the national representative sevens team of a union in the Olympic Games or Rugby World Cup Sevens, having reached the age of majority on or before the date of participation in such tournament (effective 1 July, 2017) (majority)

"Unions may no longer nominate their U20s team as their next senior national representative team (effective 1 January, 2018) (majority)"

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/245382

I can see the latter having some implications esp re: the PI Nations & I can't say I'm entirely happy with that, potentially turns the JWC into even more if a scouting/ poaching opportunity than it is already.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I can see the latter having some implications esp re: the PI Nations & I can't say I'm entirely happy with that, potentially turns the JWC into even more if a scouting/ poaching opportunity than it is already.
AFAIK, only teams like Wales and South Africa were designating their 'A' sides as the U20s.

So there's no change for the PI teams.

For argument's sake, say Fiji wanted to enforce their U20's to be Fiji A. Would their under 20s team then be stronger, the same, or weaker?

I suspect the answer is weaker - even given the 5 years rule now increased from 3 years. The U20s is a nice ticket to have but players looking for pro careers don't care that much about unpaid national U20s.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fiji did use the U20s as their A side for a while.

I think they stopped when they fell out of the Championship and didn't get straight back in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fiji did use the U20s as their A side for a while.

I think they stopped when they fell out of the Championship and didn't get straight back in.
Yeah.

Selection in those cases does mean 18-19 y.o. players closing doors (some, not all) on career paths.

So … availablity decreases for U20s tournaments.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Excuse my ignorance, but exactly which team is the Aus designated A side? If not the U20s, which invisible other gets the guernsey? Surely not the 7s? Baa Baas?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd imagine that much like NZ and Scotland you nominate Australia A, but never bother to schedule any fixtures for Australia A.

I think that if you had nominated the U20s side, it would have been specifically announced at some point, and reps from year 20XX forward wouldn't be considered eligible for other nations/residency laws.

Edit: PDF here suggests it's the Barbarians who are Australia A by another name, but the game Against the French side wouldn't count as an A game because France were (and currently are) using the U20s as their A side.

https://www.google.com.au/url?q=htt...eHGbxw&usg=AFQjCNHk16sszLeugyW2U7w5lw_d2czXTA

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yup, click to embiggen:

RmEPr1q.png

Status
Not open for further replies.