• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Could they look at something along the lines of if a punch is thrown Red card and no replacement. High tackle which reaches Red card threshold - Red Card but a replacement after 10 Mins.
Probably adds more rules to adjudicate on and a waste of time. But when a red card is issued the game is generally over as a contest.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As a Queenslander I’m pretty happy to see the form of the likes of McReight, Wilson & Lucas, but a couple of the NSW guys look pretty handy too - in particular Harris & Harrison, but I thought Robertson looked quite tidy today too.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Could they look at something along the lines of if a punch is thrown Red card and no replacement. High tackle which reaches Red card threshold - Red Card but a replacement after 10 Mins.
Probably adds more rules to adjudicate on and a waste of time. But when a red card is issued the game is generally over as a contest.

Keep it simple and deal with foul play after the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I like the idea that a red card should allow the team to add a 15th player back on after 10 minutes.

The game remains a live contest and the team and player have been sufficiently punished.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I go back and forth on this whole red card business. On balance I think I'm happy for it to stay. Red cards are pretty rare and the threat of them in combination with the YC and citing system I think has led to a dramatic decrease in the amount of filth in the game. Maybe we've got to the point where the RC doesn't need to be so punitive, but on the whole I think the system works fairly well. The tribunal system is another matter entirely, however, and should be where the effort should be going for reform. That shit is a complete lottery.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tuesday's matches:

SF1 02:00 AEST Argentina v Australia
SF2 04:30 France v SA

5th Place SF:
23:30 Monday NZ v Wales
04:30 England v Ireland

9th Place SF:
23:30 Monday Scotland v Italy
02:00 Georgia v Fiji

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I go back and forth on this whole red card business. On balance I think I'm happy for it to stay. Red cards are pretty rare and the threat of them in combination with the YC and citing system I think has led to a dramatic decrease in the amount of filth in the game. Maybe we've got to the point where the RC doesn't need to be so punitive, but on the whole I think the system works fairly well. The tribunal system is another matter entirely, however, and should be where the effort should be going for reform. That shit is a complete lottery.
Me too. A red card in the 2nd minute is frustrating. I'd say better to have a red worth 20mins down a man, the carded player doesn't return and double the suspension following the game. If a red is given in the last 10 minutes, triple the suspension.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
France had an early RC, Argentina had one close to half time. They look mercurial like their senior counterparts. I think we'd have a great chance if we can manage our discipline and keep out the yellows and reds. Some of their outside backs look amazing. Forget what the little fellow is called at full back. No silly kicking to him.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

I think every second match at these championships has been effected b ya red card. That's the problem to me they are not rare anymore and are being used for softer and softer offences and referees are people and make mistakes which can decide matches and tournaments. 78 minutes with 14 players for that tackle is pretty ordinary.

I like the idea of removing the player for the rest of the match and using one of the 8 substitutions to replace them after 10-20 minutes.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My imperfect perception is that they are far more common than they once were. I can hardly remember a red card back in the 90s and 2000s, now they are commonplace.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My imperfect perception is that they are far more common than they once were. I can hardly remember a red card back in the 90s and 2000s, now they are commonplace.

They are very prevalent in this Under 20s World Championship but generally are more prevalent at this level than they are at open age level.

I doubt the officiating will be the same at the RWC this year. I think there will be a crackdown on high tackles compared to previous years but I don't think we will be seeing tackles like Tafa's being red carded. Yellow carded certainly though.

World Rugby definitely needs to consider the red card penalty if we're going to continue down this line though. There needs to be a balance between trying to stamp out dangerous tackles and having red cards in most matches. Certainly replacing the red carded player after 10 or 20 minutes needs to be looked at.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Check this out. Corne Krige deserved about 5 red cards for his performance in this, this game is before my time but it's outrageous. Probably good we're dishing more out now.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That era of Springbok rugby was pretty thuggish across the board. Krige, James Dalton, Jannes Lubuschagne, Brock Butch James and old mate Bakkies. Tough but regularly took that edge way into the realm of violence