• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think with red cards the refs are somewhat limited in using discretion by the wording you often here the TMO’s using when reviewing. Often hear “shoulder came in contact with head or neck” , seems to be this equals red card, regardless of why, as in no discretion. When reviewing other possible red card offenses they discuss mitigating circumstances.

Seems that they are content with in tackles shoulder contact to head = red card.

When you consider how in the modern game this is rarely deliberate and often an error by the tackler regularly compounded by the ball carrier falling or slipping into the tackle rather than an act of thuggery , it’s a high price to pay.

Understand the need to rid the game of high tackles and concern for player safety , but unless it’s a deliberate act , I’m all for a 20 min period of 14 ( double a yellow ) and then replace from the bench that counts as one of your 8 subs. If you’ve used all your 8 , you play with 14 until FT.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Think with red cards the refs are somewhat limited in using discretion by the wording you often here the TMO’s using when reviewing. Often hear “shoulder came in contact with head or neck” , seems to be this equals red card, regardless of why, as in no discretion. When reviewing other possible red card offenses they discuss mitigating circumstances.

Seems that they are content with in tackles shoulder contact to head = red card.

The potential mitigating circumstances in this situation are:

1. Tackler makes a definite attempt to change height in an effort to avoid ball carrier's head
2. Ball carrier suddenly drops in height
3. Tackler is unsighted prior to contact
4. "Reactionary" tackle, immediate release

The red card threshold is reached if the referee considers that the shoulder or head contact directly with the ball carrier's head or neck had a high degree of danger and no mitigating circumstances.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Red card. All day at an U20 tournament.

Anyway, looking ahead: Argie scrum I haven't seen much of, but then I don't need to because our U20 scrummagers are - as usual - poo. If we're ever going to burn the system down and start again, let's get a proper set of rules, and appropriate training, for our age grade scrummagers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They are very prevalent in this Under 20s World Championship but generally are more prevalent at this level than they are at open age level.

I doubt the officiating will be the same at the RWC this year. I think there will be a crackdown on high tackles compared to previous years but I don't think we will be seeing tackles like Tafa's being red carded. Yellow carded certainly though.

World Rugby definitely needs to consider the red card penalty if we're going to continue down this line though. There needs to be a balance between trying to stamp out dangerous tackles and having red cards in most matches. Certainly replacing the red carded player after 10 or 20 minutes needs to be looked at.

And the penalty for repeat high tackles needs to be significantly increased to deter repeat offenders.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Red card. All day at an U20 tournament.

Anyway, looking ahead: Argie scrum I haven't seen much of, but then I don't need to because our U20 scrummagers are - as usual - poo. If we're ever going to burn the system down and start again, let's get a proper set of rules, and appropriate training, for our age grade scrummagers.
Our scrum at age grade over the last few years has been one of our few strengths. Probably since AAA in 2014. Since then the likes of Vui, Lomax, Uelese, et al. have kept it a weapon. Can't recall last years as much. Italy played silly buggers and then we were at least even. We dominated Ireland but they were a man down. England dominated us but we were a man down.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interestingly, Sportsbet have us as equal favourites with RSA to win the comp and heavy favourites over the Argies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Having a shit scrum doesnt seem as much of a curse at this level. The refs seem keen to get the ball into play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
World Rugby U20s Championship, Junior Wallabies team to face Argentina U20s in Semi-Final
1. Angus Bell, Sydney University
2. Lachlan Lonergan, Tuggeranong Vikings
3. Josh Nasser, University of Queensland
4. Michael Wood, Brothers
5. Trevor Hosea, Harlequins Rugby Club
6. Harry Wilson, Brothers
7. Fraser McReight (C), Brothers
8. Will Harris, Eastern Suburbs
9. Michael McDonald, Palmyra
10. Ben Donaldson, Randwick
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase, Eastwood
12. Noah Lolesio, Tuggeranong Vikings
13. Semisi Tupou, Box Hill
14. Sione Tui, Melbourne Unicorns
15. Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank

Reserves
16. Joe Cotton, Wests Bulldogs
17. Bo Abra, Eastern Suburbs
18. Darcy Breen, Sydney University
19. Rhys Van Nek, Easts
20. Esei Ha’angana, Melbourne Unicorns
21. Carlo Tizzano, University of Western Australia
22. Nick Frost, Queanbeyan Whites
24. Henry Robertson, Sydney University
26. Kye Oates, University of Queensland
27. Joey Walton, Gordon

Randwick’s Ben Donaldson comes into the starting side to replace flyhalf Will Harrison who received a head knock in the Aussies’ final pool match against England last week.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Good luck to the boys. Still see a big problem in the outside channel. Centres and wingers in tournament have shown a weakness yet to be exploited. Hope Gilmore has fixed it over the last month.

B

Bobby Sands

Harry Wilson is an unbelievable footballer. He will play wherever he wants for the Reds next season.

B

Bobby Sands

Noah also runs the best lines in the business, (H. Wilson not far behind).

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
That first yellow card was an absolute joke. Leaps into the tackler and as a result of his own action is put in a dangerous position. I understand we are trying to take better care of the players but that call is still a joke. He ends up in a dangerous position as a result of his own action.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Best Australian rugby performance in 15 years.

This side has serious mental toughness.

Win or lose, McReight will be crowned the u20s Player of the Year. His leadership is fantastic as well.

Wallabies bolter anyone? McMahon did it in 2014.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn’t get up for this one. Keen for a summary if possible. 40 mins with 14 men apparently? What happened?