• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Yellow Cards and Gold Jerseys

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
In 2016 the Wallabies have received 11 yellow cards while their opposition have received a total of 3.

I think this is worth chewing on.

Are we getting hard-done by the entirety of the World Rugby international refereeing cadre or is this just deserts for the ill discipline shown in the past by the Wallabies under this "play hard" mentality?

Where do you even go to begin repairing the visibly damaged relationship we have with these officials?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I may not have time to check in on the overall records of the other top nations before Monday but if nobody else does it before then I'd be happy to.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The yellow cards, in my mind, are a result of the players confusing aggression with niggle and cheap shots. The increase in this crap under cheika is killing my enthusiasm for the team and a lot of people i speak to feel the same.
The wallabies have never been a grubby team, yet under cheika it appears we are rivalling the argies and boks of old and challenging for the mantle of worlds grubbiest team.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Do they have penalty counts too? Would be interesting to look at.

One thing that stood out to me is that we've been on the receiving end of double cards more than once this year. Has a double card happened to anyone other than England (outside of us) this year? I honestly can't remember.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lee, I think up to a point you may have hit it on the head, I sure Chuckles is trying to get them to play more aggressively than perhaps a lot do in Super rugby, and some are mistaking how he wants it done. Ireland are for intance are a team that know how to play bloody aggressively and legally, a lot of it is making solid hard tackles and hitting breakdowns really hard. Watch how most NZ teams in ITM cup play compared to say NRC teams. Same in Super rugby I tend to think Aussie teams tend to be passive, so doesn't come naturally to them to up the physicallity?
Well just a theory I have.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually as an aside I heard someone saying a few weeks ago that Chuckles was a pretty free with his boots around the body and head when he played for Randwick!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is hard to look at overall statistics and say we were hard done by or not. In last nights game the issue for me was that if DHP was a YC then why wasn't Tom Wood given cheese for his around the neck tackle and throw on David Pocock in about the 10th minute?

I'd love to know the penalty count in that second half.

There have been other times between games where something is a yellow and something isn't. Dane Coles dropped a rough shoulder to the neck/head against us in TRC and it was just a penalty. Against Scotland, Will Skelton gets cheese. I'm not arguing that they aren't deserved- it just seems like inconsistency often goes against us. Or perhaps it goes against the way we play. After this year, some question marks have to be raised over Cheika.We also need a better captain than Moore, who will struggle to start next year I imagine.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Do they have penalty counts too? Would be interesting to look at.

Yes it would.

The problem with cards though is context - a yellow might be given for a penalty try or professional foul in a team that wins a mountain of possession and the game.

A yellow card for back-to-back penalties in the red zone in the dying moments of a close game might be the difference between winning and losing.

So you probably have to put penalties v cards v result v game situation context in a matrix and come up with... ... ... shit I dunno - could come up with whatever you want! :)

A few here are bemoaning the balance between aggression and stupidity.

They're right.

But if we remove the aggression, all we have is the stupidity.

The fact is, we've got a bunch of incumbents at national level who aren't really being challenged.
They're not because our provinces aren't providing enough competition.
The provinces aren't providing enough competition because the players are spread too thin or clumped together.
They're spread too thin or clumped together because of lack of money.
We don't have enough money because the national level isn't doing well enough.
We're not doing well enough at any level because the supporting systems - from schools onwards - simply isn't good enough.
The schools system isn't good enough because its such a fucking inbred cesspool of brainless dick-measuring.
Its such a fucking inbred cesspool of brainless dick-measuring because of politics.

And rugby is politics in this country.

Until we take the steps that NZRFU took to put the ABs at the pinnacle, expect this to continue except for the odd brilliant victory followed by shite.

And that means all the fuckwits hating on the NRC getting in the fucking sea. They can be joined by the parents who want little Tarquin to be in the first XV where his obvious flaws are hidden by the star players and lack of meaningful competition.

And every single shunt who won't cheer their team on properly at a rugby game.

Sharkbait, the lot of them.

We also need much better coaching pathways as a result of all this.

Now, if you'll excuse me, its cricket season.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The yellow cards, in my mind, are a result of the players confusing aggression with niggle and cheap shots. The increase in this crap under cheika is killing my enthusiasm for the team and a lot of people i speak to feel the same.
The wallabies have never been a grubby team, yet under cheika it appears we are rivalling the argies and boks of old and challenging for the mantle of worlds grubbiest team.

Not sure I agree with that Lee.
Most of the yellow cards (bar skeletons brain snap) have actually come from poor technique, or repeated infringements.
I can't think of many that were due to deliberately grubby play.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure I agree with that Lee.
Most of the yellow cards (bar skeletons brain snap) have actually come from poor technique, or repeated infringements.
I can't think of many that were due to deliberately grubby play.

In all honesty, you are pretty much right. The problem for me is the yellow cards are a sign of a wider problem. So whilst the yellow cards are mostly from poor technique, they fit the perception of grub behaviour. Things like Hooper throwing sand in the face during a scrum, Phipps throwing a boot into the crowd, the off the ball shoulders and late tackles, general niggle and whining to the ref during the game and the coach whining about the ref after the game. It just seems as the team on the field is following the coaches behaviour off the field. So whilst the yellow cards maybe technique related, they fit the perception of grubby and niggley behaviour, and perception is reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.