• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Redfield take out the Grose Cup in a low-scoring game 8-6
Similar to World Rugby at the moment - The over use of cards has too much of an impact on results unfortunately.

Just watched this 'red card'.The player looks like he twists himself into a bad position rather than the tackler driving down.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wow - What a First Grade game yesterday. Didnt look good for a long time - but the boys were able to work their way back into the game. Even down 10 late, it felt like we would run over the top of Petersham.
Looking forward to next week!

Heartbreaker for Thirds losing after the bell. Firsts finished strong but pulled the rabbit out of the hat the end. Petersham would feel they had that one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So Div 2 GFs look like they're generally following form. All the participants were Div 2 last year, and all the Div 3 clubs from last year are out. Well except Easts Colts whose association with Harlequins gives them that honour, with an asterisk attached.

Barraclough - Newport (1) v UNSW (2)
Stockdale - Lindfield (1) v UNSW (2)
Blunt - Newport (1) v Hills (2)
Richardson - UNSW (1) v Lindfield (2) - with the asterisk that this was a truncated comp with no preliminary finals
Robertson - Lindfield (1) v Eastquins (3)

Should be a good day at TG. A few showers might come through Friday but that will just settle the dust ;)

Joke aside, I assume the pitch should be in great condition as it has had no traffic the last few weeks. In fact nothing since August? A couple of Premier Colts fixtures on the main pitch.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Heartbreaker for Thirds losing after the bell. Firsts finished strong but pulled the rabbit out of the hat the end. Petersham would feel they had that one.
Very tough loss - Boys defended really well at the end. Felt we earned a turnover late but 50/50's generally go with the attacking team. 4's were always up against it with Mosman being very strong.
Should be a big week with 1's and 2's both in huge games. Get down to Woollahra instead of watching Div 2 GFs

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
A tough day for Newport on Saturday with mother nature putting on a day that definately didnt play to their running rugby style of play. Interesting that Newport ran into the wind in all four games in the first half, Im not sure if they couldnt take a trick on the coin toss or it was a tactic.

3rd grade ground out a win against a tough UNSW side and to be honest I thought the Breakers got more than their fair share of decisions and a couple of displays of brillance were enough to secure a tight win.

Colts were down 17-0 running into the breeze and suffered the heartbreak of an after the siren penalty to lose. They can be proud of their season and they will stew on that one for a while as they have been the only side to beat Lindfield throughout the year and on a dry track would have fancied thier chances but it was not to be. The core of that group have another year to go in colts and Im sure will be back bigger and better next year.

2nds got blown off the park with the big UNSW pack and smart kicking game putting the game out of reach by halftime. The boys will be kicking themselves on probaly their worst performance of the year but full credit to UNSW and Lindfield for making the big dance and that GF will be a belter.

In 1st grade a pumped up Lindfield knew they were in with a chance in those conditions and their scrum put Breakers under pressure all day. Again it came down to an act of individual brillance for the boys to grind out a tough victory over a determined Lindfield. Big result in the other semi with Hawkesbury dispatched by a powerful UNSW. UNSW were the only team to have beaten Newport during the year and lets hope for a dry track Saturday for the Breakers sparkling backline to be unleashed and some returning front rowers to sure up the pack.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
A tough day for Newport on Saturday with mother nature putting on a day that definately didnt play to their running rugby style of play. Interesting that Newport ran into the wind in all four games in the first half, Im not sure if they couldnt take a trick on the coin toss or it was a tactic.

3rd grade ground out a win against a tough UNSW side and to be honest I thought the Breakers got more than their fair share of decisions and a couple of displays of brillance were enough to secure a tight win.

Colts were down 17-0 running into the breeze and suffered the heartbreak of an after the siren penalty to lose. They can be proud of their season and they will stew on that one for a while as they have been the only side to beat Lindfield throughout the year and on a dry track would have fancied thier chances but it was not to be. The core of that group have another year to go in colts and Im sure will be back bigger and better next year.

2nds got blown off the park with the big UNSW pack and smart kicking game putting the game out of reach by halftime. The boys will be kicking themselves on probaly their worst performance of the year but full credit to UNSW and Lindfield for making the big dance and that GF will be a belter.

In 1st grade a pumped up Lindfield knew they were in with a chance in those conditions and their scrum put Breakers under pressure all day. Again it came down to an act of individual brillance for the boys to grind out a tough victory over a determined Lindfield. Big result in the other semi with Hawkesbury dispatched by a powerful UNSW. UNSW were the only team to have beaten Newport during the year and lets hope for a dry track Saturday for the Breakers sparkling backline to be unleashed and some returning front rowers to sure up the pack.
Heavy D - What are your thoughts on the Red card in the Div 4 2nd grade game vs the tackle in the opening 2 minutes of your first grade game by your - 6/7, which ended up only being a Penalty?

The latter appeared to be a more dangerous tackle yet the sanctions completely different.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I also thought Newport were very unlucky to have a penatly try awarded against them in colts so it swings in roundabouts I guess.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Havent seen the Div 4 game so cant comment but thought Newport was lucky not to have someone in the bin.
I also thought Newport were very unlucky to have a penatly try awarded against them in colts so it swings in roundabouts I guess.
Completely agree with you there - Hard when it changes the outcome of a season for 15 people.

Not blaming the referees in this situation - They get told to sanction in a certain way, although the lack of consistency is the hardest part to swallow.

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
They looked very similar to me, and there wasn't consistency in the decision making...
Maybe we should be happy that the refereeing quality is higher than the playing standard of 4th div second grade subbies (most subbies). We aren't professionals and neither are they. I for one am thankful that I can run around on a Saturday and drop a pass from 2m away. Thanks refs.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
My comment concerns the decision-making, and its inconsistency - its not criticism of the referees themselves.
My criticism isnt with the referees. You can see the International referees having to follow a procedure that has been put in place by someone who hasnt played the game to understand the difference between accidental and deliberate acts.

Pull back on the card happy recommendations from the governing bodies and only heavily penalise the deliberate acts.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Very tough loss - Boys defended really well at the end. Felt we earned a turnover late but 50/50's generally go with the attacking team. 4's were always up against it with Mosman being very strong.
Should be a big week with 1's and 2's both in huge games. Get down to Woollahra instead of watching Div 2 GFs
funny you say that, the ref had some shockers, giving a lot of penalties to HH.

I heard he was an uncle to one of the players.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
funny you say that, the ref had some shockers, giving a lot of penalties to HH.

I heard he was an uncle to one of the players.
EA5F3E13-EA7C-4506-908D-FB3C84022B0F.jpeg

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally agree - the younger refs who are now international refs - are way too trigger happy. This I compare to the refs from around 20 years ago..

An example was when Angus Garner recently penalised the Boks #12, who was inside the 5m line, from a Bok attacking scrum, when he was passed the ball! Its like they look for shit to penalise, and are happy when they do so - refs need to understand - at all levels of the game - that spectators are not there to see them referee and nit pick penalties..
This is a World Rugby directive not an individual referee style.